egine blew up after 8 weeks

demolay

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2257 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

purchased a used car 8 weeks ago for £2300 from a well known nationwide dealer. the other day, the engine packed in outside the dealership.( my son started working there as a mechanic the week after I bought it, and used it that day). his first reaction was to check the oil level. it was missing approx. 3l, (the engine only takes 7l to fill it. I rang the sales manager, who told me it was part of their runabout range, and was bought as seen, ( thought they couldn't do that as a dealer). he said, as a result, it only had a 30 day warranty. the following day, I called the service manager and asked them if they could do something. the service manager said they could do the work at staff rate,£35 per hour, parts at cost plus 20%, but my son would have to do the work in his free time. how nonsensical was that remark??.

there is no paperwork suggesting anything about a 30 day warranty, or that the car was sold as seen. or anything about their so called runabout range. there is no way a car should end up like that in just 8 weeks. they said the car had been given a health check just prior to my purchase and that it oil filter had been fitted. so why was it 3l down.( no leaks or patches). the only way that can happen, is if a faulty engine is burning too much oil. no normal person would expect to use 3l every 8 weeks.

all utter cobblers, the Sale of Goods Act doesnt recognise any of their arguments. However, this does not mean that cars dont break down so how old is the vehicle, the mileage, type of engine, value of car new and secondhand etc. This will help determine what sort of protection the law give you but 3 months from a dealership would be normal for an average car.

Send them a letter telling them that you expect them to put things righ under the SoGA or you will take action to recover your money as the car is clearly not fit for purpose. Keep your son out of this matter, it will do no-one any good to even consider his involvement.