Entering yellow box and stopping Walton Forest

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3069 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The camera might have been installed for the provision of safety and public order.

An argument that has been used at patas is that the camera, by following and zooming cars, might miss a violent crime.

There are a few of them in Hounslow.

One day someone will be attacked and there will be no footage because the operator is busy making money for the LA.

You really do come up with a load of tosh sometimes!! Even public space cameras are rarely monitored its impossible to look at 50+ cameras at the same time hoping to see a crime they are usually used to gather evidence of reported crimes usually in response to a call from the Police, store security staff or council street wardens. Having an extra pair of eyes watching the cameras actually increases the odds of a crime being observed whilst in progress. Making up some lame argument doesn't stop your original claim cameras needing to be approved wrong.

• 1 month later...
I'm starting a petition to get signs advising of CCTV at yellow box junctions, should reduce the flow of cash and make YBJ's less attractive to councils..

So you think a big yellow box should be ignored unless there is a cctv sign?? Why not just adhere to the rules you signed up to when you applied for a licence to drive a vehicle and then there would be no need for cctv at all!

No, I don't think that a yellow box should be ignored unless it has a cctv sign. I do think that a sign would prompt more drivers to keep to the rules and, if that is the intention of the councils, they should be happy to put the signs up. If, however, their aim is to generate revenue they will not want to.

The very nature of the big bright yellow box is a sign on the road in itself

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

The very nature of the big bright yellow box is a sign on the road in itself

Exactly, the highway code has different signs some advisory and some regulatory the fact that they are regulatory would indicate some sort of penalty for failing to adhere to their instructions. I would not have entered the box if I had known I was going to be caught hardly seems like a valid excuse.

not sure what that has to do with anything

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Remove all speed camera signs and paint those boxes black and hide them. You would prefer that?

It depends. It depends on what the aim is, making money, or reducing speeds.

The downsides to highly visible speed cameras acting at a single point is people speeding between them and then precipitously braking for each camera.

The average speed cameras (eg Specs) are a better option for major roads (though it is not always appropriate for urban use).

Anyhow, your comparison is daft.

Big yellow box on pole so it is highly visible.

Big yellow box on road so it is highly visible.

If the yellow box junction is so faded that it isn't visible to a careful and competent driver : the penalty would be unenforceable.

If drivers are willing to ignore a yellow box unless it has a warning of CCTV in use : just put signs saying "CCTV may be in use" for all box junctions. Have fixed CCTV at some sites, and mobile CCTV rotating around the others. Happy now?