New car - couldn't tax until I got home with it.

extrobe
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3132 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Not sure if anyone knows what the likely outcome might be for this one...

Picked up a used car today for my wife. I insured it before I headed out to pick it up, but of course couldn't tax it yet.

When I picked the car up (just 15 mins away from where I live), I attempted to tax it online using my phone - but being in a small village meant I couldn't get a stable connection to do this.

I instead drove it home, and taxed it when I got back - so about 20 mins later.

However... I'm pretty sure I saw a fixed ANPR camera on my way out the village

Assuming it 'got' me, am I likely to be stung for it? Officially, no grace period is offered when buying a new car - but will the fact it was taxed on the same day - and therefore paid for from the beginning of the month - help me out here?

Some further reading suggests these could have been some fancy wireless average speed cameras rather than dvla anpr cameras, designed to be subtle and hard to spot, attaching to existing lampposts etc - so perhaps i'll be ok :/

Strange as this sounds, I bought a car the other week but when I went to the post office. my old car was still insured yet I was able to tax the new one. Go figure!!

There is a thing about tax that I am not sure about. The tax is cancelled once the DVLA get the V5 so until that is done the car would still show as taxed

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Thanks both, hopefully nothing too much will come of it - do find it odd there is no formal 'grace period'.

silverfox, it was previously SORN'd (didn't realise at the time, though she did mention she'd not driven it for a number of weeks, so figures) - so if 'spotted', it would have flagged up as untaxed.

I'll update this post should anything ever some out of it :)