Devitt Insurance adminstration charges - RESOLVED

OldGreyWizard
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3136 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I had an accident in the middle of June, not my fault, which has resulted Devitt Insurance demanding £30 as they had to update my policy.

I sent the following letter to which they responded by cancelling my policy in 7 days.

Rather extreme I think and very unprofessional.

I guess I have no option but to pay up.

Am I being pig headed, is this now normal practice?

Any advice?

Regards

OldGreyWizard

55 year old, ridden for nearly 40 years, @750,0000 miles and only ever subject to a one claim that was my fault.

==============================================================================

Dear Customer Service Team,

You say, "The adjustment charge of £30.00 is due for making this change"

I disagree, I had an accident, as a result I am duty bound to contact you.

This does not amount to a change in my policy. It might constitute an update to your records, but you are a broker, it is part of the service that you provide. If it is not you should not be in this business.

When, as a result of the accident, I insured my spare motorcycle the insurance company queried my no claims bonus.

I replied to the request and you sent me an request for £30 for making a change to my policy. In this case I successfully argued that I had not instigated a change to my policy.

In this instance I have also not asked for any changes to be made to my policy.

Your policy is not fair and not in the spirit of your terms.

I suggest that you contact the agent, recommended by you, who are handling my personal costs and forward a proforma invoice. When my costs are refunded then your very ridiculous charge will be too.

Had I been killed would the charge still apply?

Yours faithfully

OldGreyWizard

They should have responded properly and not just cancelled. Many insurers now add admin charges every time they amend a policy record. Sometimes it can be unfair and they have the choice whether to waive to or not.

If you are not happy send them a complaint and threaten referral to the FOS due to the unfair way you have been treated.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

They should have responded properly and not just cancelled. Many insurers now add admin charges every time they amend a policy record. Sometimes it can be unfair and they have the choice whether to waive to or not.

If you are not happy send them a complaint and threaten referral to the FOS due to the unfair way you have been treated.

They should also cease chasing debts whilst dealing with an Official Complaint as well

I eventually got through to Devitt yesterday.

It turned out that they had recorded the date of my accident incorrectly.

When this was discovered, they updated it and sent me the £30 charge.

It didn't take much to get them to drop the charge and re instate my insurance.

This sort of thing should not happen.

Moral of the story stick to your guns, you can only be charged for changes that you have actually instigated.

Thanks for the support.

OldGreyWizard