Hb fraud- who is responsible

sillypepper
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3129 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

Interesting question, have been asked to attend an interview under caution. Regarding not reporting a change in circumstances, Basically I forgot to tell them that my partners wages had gone up, this meant we were no longer entitled to hb, now I am very ill with my mental health, have been for years and therefore very forgetful and unmotivated, as such I haven't told them, now my wife works as a carer all day then comes home to look after me, so she hasn't really had the time either, I'm the lead claimant, so if this was to go to court, would it be me that is prosecuted as it's totally my fault, we live in Stafford if that helps,

Thanks

Andrew

All depends on how long was the gap between your other half wages going up and them finding out with how much the local authority are out of pocket

Do you have that info?

It is rare prosecutions for honest mistakes, they simply make you pay it back in instalments

Hi,

Basically they are around 1700 out of pocket, and it's been about 3-4 months,I just wanted to know about who they would deem responsible as I don't want my wife to loose her job,

Thanks Andrew

It will be against the person wh made the claim for housing benefit, that is where the liability lies. It will be that person to inform the local authority on any change in circumstance

As i said, i very much doubt any prosecution for such a small amount

Be prepaired to pay back a realistic amount you can afford.

I had an overpayment myself, just be totally honest with them. I paid it back at £5.00 a week by standing order

They only prosecute the big fraudsters, multiple claims and identities

Usually, it is the claimant who is taken court (if that goes that far).

I am only aware of one or two instances where a partner was prosecuted.

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

a partner will be as liable as the claimant as you both signed the form and agreed to inform them of any changes. However, they cant prosecute you both if YOU accept responsibility. As already said, the most likely course of action is being forced to repay the overclaim

[...] it's been about 3-4 months

If the increase in earnings only goes back to May/June of this year, I am very surprised that they dragged you in for an IUC. I had recently submitted wage slips going back almost a year for CTX and the council came back claiming an overpayment (which is undergoing an appeal).

Whilst the regulations state that a change in circumstances should be notified "in good time", this is usually taken to mean within three to four weeks. However, the rules do allow for a little bit of flexibility and the council can allow a bit of leeway to the interpretation of "in good time".

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

I don't know if this helps but I had an interview under caution whilst I was on Jobseekers Allowance. I was quite worried as I did not know what I could have done wrong.

It turns out that my employer had me on the books even though I was not there anymore. I told them that I was no longer being employed and they said that they would check this out. They never got back to me again so I guess that they were able to satisfy their concerns without me.

The 'system' sometimes flags people for all kinds of reasons and as a result they will write to you to come in for an interview. If you can give them a good reason they should be understanding. Try and take a letter from your doctor or community health team that would back you up re:forgetfulness.

All the best and try not to worry, x.

I do agree that they only throw the book at the people who are abusing the system.

Is the interview at the council or the DWP?

HB is administered by the council. I was giving my reflection about a DWP incident in order to help the OP figure out what to expect. Though if there happens to be someone from their own local area who has had such an interview recently then that person would give them the the most accurate advice.

HB is administered by the council. I was giving my reflection about a DWP incident in order to help the OP figure out what to expect. Though if there happens to be someone from their own local area who has had such an interview recently then that person would give them the the most accurate advice.

The single fraud investigation service is being rolled out nationally.,whilst HB is administered by councils , in many areas (including where I work) it's investigated by DWP. Council investigators have, in the main, transferred to work for DWP

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.