Legal cost .. How can I dispute it ?

C_Berry
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3140 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm newbie .. sorry if I'm post this in the wrong place ..

I'm an individual .. I lost a legal case against two powerful organisations. The statement of their legal costs is unbelievably high .. How can I resist/dispute that in an attempt to make it reasonable?

I will try and find someone who can help.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I'm newbie .. sorry if I'm post this in the wrong place ..

I'm an individual .. I lost a legal case against two powerful organisations. The statement of their legal costs is unbelievably high .. How can I resist/dispute that in an attempt to make it reasonable?

Lost in which court (county court ? Which track?? Or High court?)

Have they provided a bill of costs? Were costs awarded (against you) on a 'standard' or 'indemnity' basis?

Litigation can be expensive ! :(

If not in the small claims track of the county court :

You can apply to have the costs 'taxed' (assessed) by a senior judge ('Master'), in the process also known as a "detailed assesment" but you'd be wise to ask for a breakdown first. If the breakdown suggests their costs are reasonable you'll only add to them by creating more expense ....

https://www.gov.uk/courts-tribunals/senior-courts-costs-office

How much is being claimed?

(a) does not exceed £15,000; £325 detailed assesment fee

(b) exceeds £15,000 but does not exceed £50,000; £655 fee

© exceeds £50,000 but does not exceed £100,000; £980 fee, and so on

p 133-134 of https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/430874/senior-courts-costs-office-guide.pdf

Thank you very helpful information ..

It is Employment Tribunal (ET) .. The statement of their legal cost is about £70,000. There is a hearing for the judge to decide upon the cost and it seems that the judge will allow it .. I don't have a solicitor but I have to do my best to dispute it during the hearing .. Any help/idea/method will be really appreciated

They provided the hours spent and the rates under general titles such as "work done on documents" or "reviewing documents" .. It does not look like a breakdown for me .. It does not say if it is in 'standard' or 'indemnity' basis

One of the cases were struck out more than 6 month ago .. but they also include the cost of it .. Would not that be out of time?

Thank you again

Hello - can you please provide the full background of your case, and what happened during the tribunal proceedings so far?

Does the other side actually have an order that you pay their costs? If yes, what does that order say?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The case is about whistleblowing and race discrimination .. The whistleblowing was struck out as no reasonable prospective of success .. The Judge found that the Claimant blow the whistle and was victimised but the old regulation does not protect whistleblowers from being victimised by other employers (including Managers/CEO) .. the regulation was changed but the whistleblowing happened before the change .. The race discrimination stuck out as an abuse of the proceedings

There is no order against me that I have to pay the cost yet .. There will be another hearing to decide upon the cost .. whether I have to pay or not and if so how much

The information you have provided is enough to give you some links and very general guidance, but nothing more than that. Your description is too vague for us to understand the nature of the claim or what happened during the tribunal proceedings. If you want to get personalised help you need to describe what has happened in a lot more detail.

You should read rule 76 here: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/429633/employment-tribunal-procedure-rules.pdf. You might be able to argue at the hearing that your claim did not meet the criteria mentioned in that rule. If it was reasonable to make the claim, you conducted it properly and you had a reasonable chance of success, no costs order should be made.

You should also ask the Tribunal to reduce any costs order on the basis of your ability to pay. This would require you to explain your ability to pay based on both your capital and your income. If you do not raise your ability to pay at the hearing the Tribunal may not consider it.

You may also say that the employer did not warn you as to the size of the costs they were racking up, if they did not warn you.

My understanding is that the largest costs order the Tribunal may make is £20,000. If the Tribunal thinks that more than £20,000 ought to be awarded, it would need to send the costs order to a detailed assessment by the county court.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS