GM agrees $900m settlement for faulty ignition switches

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2202 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

General Motors has agreed to pay $900m (£580m) to end a criminal inquiry into its failure to recall vehicles with faulty ignitions.

The car maker was being investigated for not checking millions of cars, despite staff knowing for more than a decade about the defect.

The fault has been linked to more than 100 confirmed deaths.

It could shut down engines, disable power-assisted steering and brakes and prevent airbags working.

BBC

Could this fault show up over here.

Nice to know that in America you can just pay a fee to end a criminal inquiry rather than the person who gave the go ahead facing any kind of punishment themselves besides maybe losing their job, but no doubt getting a generous severance package and cushy pension.

• 2 months later...

Am I right in saying vauxhall/opel are under GM?

Just saw this and thought about back in 2005 when I had a head-on crash into a guy who forgot what side of the road he was supposed to drive on (From Poland)

The car was 1 year and 1 hour old from new and I remember one of the key things here that the steering was as good as locked and not a single airbag went off. The car was written off within days of the crash despite it's age/price (payout was 8000 for the car) with front end damage and no interior intrusion.

From what I know is that it was a Cat D that was sold on because a while back it was still taxed/insured.

I'm just thinking whether this was the cause of the car not being controlled after the initial impact which then veered me into a parked car due to not being able to steer. And as mentioned, no airbags for cushioning either.