Sign in to follow this  
unclebulgaria67

Early pension withdrawal

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1521 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Apparently nearly 205,000 have taken up the opportunity to cash in their pension pots, following the rule change.

Is this a good thing, if they are not investing it, potentially having to need more state retirement benefits, if they have frittered it away ?

I am in favour of people having choice what to do with their own money, but i just wonder whether it will lead to problems in the future.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I think this needs to be on the main pension forum - moved.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy -

HERE

2: Take back control of your finances -

Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated -

Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

This was something that concerned me (not that it is any of my business how people spend their own money) when it was announced.

Almost certainly there are some who would have paid any debts they have lurking around - perhaps even mortgage shortfalls due to endowments not performing correctly or because there was no other repayment vehicle in place.

There will be some who do try to find someway of securing a decent income for their retirement. However, until interest rates are increased they are not going to get a decent return on any savings.

However, there are going to be some who do just, as you say, fritter it away, but isn't that what the Chancellor wanted ? Money being pumped into the economy.

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy -

HERE

2: Take back control of your finances -

Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors?

Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt

Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated -

Please Read

BCOBS

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

To be honest, i would admire those who do use some of the money to pay for a world cruise or on something which may be a life long dream. Better to do these things when they are younger and fitter, rather than never get around to doing it.

Also those who use the money to secure their lifes in paying off mortgages and debts may be doing something pretty sensible. With some pensions, if you died before the money is released, it is lost. Not many people realise that in the event of death, the pension pot not accessed, is not always released to the estate. This is something people should inquire about. If you had a situation where a pension holder died before the pension date, it might not provide for a surviving spouse or dependents, who may be left with a mortgage to still fund. Had the pension holder accessed the money to pay off the mortgage before death, then the deceaseds pension money is not lost and they don't have property with a mortgage outstanding. I think this situation is possible from my understanding. I know when my Dad passed, there was no payment of any pension into the estate. But it depends on the pension type. I know the Solicitor checked with the company pension administrators at the time, as is standard practice.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Altogether we had 5 different occupational pension funds with the largest one being worth about £10,000. We cashed in two allowing us to buy a caravan as I cannot travel overseas due to health issues. Two pay us out quarterly at different months and the other we will cash in as it is only worth about £500. It does not effect the amount of state pension we get, but is taken into consideration.

IMHO if moving from one employer to another, it should be made easier to transfer your pension to the new company's pension scheme as over a lifetime of working, you can collect several pension schmes varying in amounts.

Previously when living in South Africa, you could easily transfer the lump sum to the new pension scheme. Secondly if there was any money left over of the pension payments, i.e you had paid in 50,000, but had only received 25,000 before you croaked, your estate would still get a percentage or the surviving spouse would get paid until the funds dried up.

Sign in to follow this