Blank Claim Form Submitted for issue from Unicom

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3136 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello, I hope I'm posting this in the right place. My apologies if not.

I took out a contract with Unicom in 2008 for my business premises, which I closed down in September 2009.

I remember getting a big bill for cancellation of contract which I could not afford to pay.

I can't remember the details but I know it went on for a long while, with many telephone calls and letters.

I have heard from Unicom again today - so six years after my initial problems with them.

They have written to my home address, which is different from the home address I had six years ago.

There were two letters, t

he first dated 1st September (I got them both today as I have been away and had a pile of post waiting to be opened!)

They sent a draft county court claim form, saying that they are claiming £490.

They said in the covering letter that if I pay £184 in the next two weeks this will clear my outstanding balance.

The second letter is dated 16th September saying as they did not hear from me then they are now submitting the claim to court for £587.

Where are all these random amounts from?!

As it has been so long since I closed my business,

I have no trace of my original contract or previous correspondence from them.

Does anyone know what I can do, apart from just wait and see if a court form actually appears?

Also, I check my credit report each month with Noddle - and there is no outstanding debt on there from Unicom.

Hi, sorry you were missed.

Can you say when you last made any payment to them?

As for sending a draft claim form, this could amount to harassment and should be reported to trading standards.

It may be that this 'debt' was never filed with any CRA but if it was and is now gone, the debt may be statute barred.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Hi silverfox, thank you so much for your reply.

My last payment to them would have been at the end of 2009 at some point. I can't check my old business bank account as everything is long gone!

Do stature barred debts also apply to businesses? I was a sole trader, I'm not sure if that makes any difference, and these letters are addressed to me personally rather than to my old business.

Thanks again for your help.

Hi Purple person,

Try not to worry too much about this 'Claim Form' as it is a practice that Unicom apply, seemingly to add pressure on the person concerned. A genuine Court Claim Form would come from the Court, not Unicom, and it would include a defence pack and booklet. Also, a genuine Court Claim Form would have a Court stamp, an Issue Date and Claim Number. My guess is that these boxes in the Claim Form you have received are blank?

Silverfox is correct in that it could amount to harassment and this practice appears to be in breach of Section 40 of The Administration of Justice Act 1970

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1970/31/section/40

Thank you RMJ - yes you're right, these boxes on the claim form are blank. And if the practice is to apply pressure then it does work, I've actually had a few of the usual DCA letters relating to other old debts that I completely ignore without worrying too much about it! Thank you for the link, that's very interesting.

• dx100uk changed the title to Blank Claim Form Submitted for issue from Unicom