Never received a reminder, and just found out that I have not payed the road tax for over two month! What to do?

wtlh
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3082 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

It seemed like a horror story.

This year was the first time that the round paper disks were abolished, and I then replaced the still valid disk with our parking permit to save space on the windscreen, and thought that I will always receive a tax reminder anyway. However, I have not received one and I have been waiting for one to arrive.

So did not really thought about it, until tonight out of interest I was searching my car's number plate to see where it was registered, and found that it was UNTAXED since July!

I then immediately went to DVLA website, and tried to pay for the tax, without the reminder, but with the 11 digit serial number on my vehicle registration form. I was only able to pay for the tax from 1st Sep. And was told that DVLA may contact me about the missing periods.

I truly cannot remember if I have renewed my tax, and from the DVLA information that I obviously have not paid!! I can swear that I have never received a reminder this time around. We moved house 1 year ago, but I have updated my address with DVLA right after I have moved.

I will call DVLA the first thing tomorrow. I just hope they will allow me to pay back the two months of the tax, and I am happy to pay a fine too, as a lesson to my own negligence---should have checked the DVLA website to make sure a lot earlier.

I heard some horror stories of over 1000 pounds fine, and points on licence. I can just pray that they will be lenient on me.

The road tax for my car is 30 pounds a year.

Do you know what will happen? Thank you very much. I am worried sick.

Hi all,

It seemed like a horror story.

This year was the first time that the round paper disks were abolished, and I then replaced the still valid disk with our parking permit to save space on the windscreen, and thought that I will always receive a tax reminder anyway. However, I have not received one and I have been waiting for one to arrive.

So did not really thought about it, until tonight out of interest I was searching my car's number plate to see where it was registered, and found that it was UNTAXED since July!

I then immediately went to DVLA website, and tried to pay for the tax, without the reminder, but with the 11 digit serial number on my vehicle registration form. I was only able to pay for the tax from 1st Sep. And was told that DVLA may contact me about the missing periods.

I truly cannot remember if I have renewed my tax, and from the DVLA information that I obviously have not paid!! I can swear that I have never received a reminder this time around. We moved house 1 year ago, but I have updated my address with DVLA right after I have moved.

I will call DVLA the first thing tomorrow. I just hope they will allow me to pay back the two months of the tax, and I am happy to pay a fine too, as a lesson to my own negligence---should have checked the DVLA website to make sure a lot earlier.

I heard some horror stories of over 1000 pounds fine, and points on licence. I can just pray that they will be lenient on me.

The road tax for my car is 30 pounds a year.

Do you know what will happen? Thank you very much. I am worried sick.

Can't see DVLA being helpful, as they will say that although a reminder is issued, it is up to the vehicle owner/keeper to make sure it is taxed. The tax disc added as a reminder, but you should have a note of key dates e.g road tax, insurance, MOT.

There was an £80 penalty previously, plus the missed tax. Not sure whether this has changed under the new rules.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi unclebulgaria67,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Yes it was totally my mistake to have forgotten about the date. If it is 80 pounds fine plus unpaid tax (which isn't going to be much, given the whole year costs 30), then I am more than happy to pay it and correct the whole thing.

I just hope that they have not changed to harsher rules, and issued me a summons or 1000 fine etc...

Update:

Called DVLA this morning, and paid 40 pounds fine plus 2 pounds 50 outstanding tax and all is now resolved.

It turns out that when I moved last year, I have updated by licence but forgot to do the same to the V5C form. So all of the tax reminders got sent to my old address. Amidst the chaos of moving, I thought I had updated all of my addresses with DVLA.

Next time I must keep note of all those dates and the list of essential address changes on a piece of paper.

Breathe...

I was feeling the pressure while I was reading the beginning of the thread.

£40 from dvla is like jackpot in Vegas !

I am actually surprised that they only asked for 40 pounds, given it was almost two and half months since the tax expired. I have never received any correspondence from DVLA, so don't know if and when they have sent me a penalty notice. My understanding is that the 80 pounds fine gets reduced to 40 if paid within 28 days.

I have double checked with DVLA again, and they told me that case is closed and my car is now taxed till the end of August next year. I just hope that is the end of that.

I consider myself really lucky, it could have been a lot worse.

Good thing you were not stopped on the road, as that is apparently when they charge more. I guess that catching you on the road with an untaxed car, is seen as an opportunity to charge more, as they have evidence. Whereas as the admin fine, is where they don't know it is being used.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

• 1 month later...

Okay, It seems the saga is not yet finished.

Today, I received a letter from DVLA saying that I was photographed driving the car in September, one week before I discovered and then later paid the penalty and arrears. It is another out-of-the-court settlement of 38 pounds, which I paid over the phone after being told this is unrelated to the previous penalty I have paid.

Does this mean that they would be able to charge 38 pounds every time the car was photographed on public roads in the period when it was untaxed? Potentially this would amount to massive amounts, as even on a single road on the same day, the car can be photographed several times.

I asked specifically whether they will charge me again for the same thing if another photographic evidence shows up, and the lady over the phone refused to answer. So I take that to be a "yes"?

To fellow cager's with better legal knowledge, any advice on this issue---i.e. whether it is possible for me to receive more penalties---is greatly welcomed. Is there a time limit on when they cannot prosecute me any more over the untaxed period?

Okay, It seems the saga is not yet finished.

Today, I received a letter from DVLA saying that I was photographed driving the car in September, one week before I discovered and then later paid the penalty and arrears. It is another out-of-the-court settlement of 38 pounds, which I paid over the phone after being told this is unrelated to the previous penalty I have paid.

Does this mean that they would be able to charge 38 pounds every time the car was photographed on public roads in the period when it was untaxed? Potentially this would amount to massive amounts, as even on a single road on the same day, the car can be photographed several times.

I asked specifically whether they will charge me again for the same thing if another photographic evidence shows up, and the lady over the phone refused to answer. So I take that to be a "yes"?

To fellow cager's with better legal knowledge, any advice on this issue---i.e. whether it is possible for me to receive more penalties---is greatly welcomed. Is there a time limit on when they cannot prosecute me any more over the untaxed period?

Think they can. Each photo they find is another instance they charge you for not having the car taxed.

Welcome to Britain in 2015, where there are hundreds of thousands of cameras and summary justice !

Or leave ;)

Exactly what i intend to do, if i can around to it. I wonder how many immigrants go back home, once they realise how the various authorities act in this country. Most Americans would not put up with the government control freak ways, with creative ways of making money.