Disciplinary help needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3144 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi i am posting on behalf of my son.

He faced a disciplinary hearing at work .

Basicly what happened is my son works for a small tree surgery company and my partner (his step dad) is manager over the teams and my son is also my partners groundy. Whilst we was away on holiday my son was put with another climber and groundy (who i will call groundy 1).

They was on a job when the other groundy 1 disappeared for a short while they assumed he had gone to get lunch, my son and the other climber continued to clear up at the job they was on then went and sat in the truck to wait for the other groundy 1.

When he finally appeared he stated that there was another job to do round the corner. My son hadnt had his lunch yet so whilst the others made a start on the job he went off to get sone lunch. When my son returned he helped finish clear the job, which was only dragging a few bits from the rear gate to the truck. My son snd the climber went and sat in the truck and groundy 1 followed a short while after and dump £15 onto both their laps (which they assumed was a tip as this happens all the time - customers call one of the guys over if they are happy with the work and gives them a tip which they then share between the team). This was on a friday....

we returned home from holiday on the saturday and my partner returned to work on the monday. Everything was fine and my partner was hapoy that everything seemed to have run smoothly for once while he was away. Until on the tuesday the owner turned up and said to my partner we have a problem and then said no more after my partner said what is it? He then called in the groundy 1 and asked what he knew about a job at a certain address and he at furst said he didnt know what he was on about but then stated that it was a private job they had done (private jobs are not allowed during work time and a company card is meant to be given and this groundy had been there many years to know this).

My son was not at work that day as he suffers with illnesses and anxiety problems sonetimes he cant even leave the house so he was at GP's that day. When he returned to work the next day the groundy 1 said we have a problem then told my son that the job they done was a private but my son and the other guy (the climber) did not know this until that point and thought that it was just another job for the company. My son asked to speak to the boss and so did the other climber and they both offered the money back that the groundy 1 had given to them and they stated that they didnt know that it wasnt a normal job for the company,

the boss said he would take the money so my son put it in an envelope the next day and handed it in. They had a hearing and both my son and and the climber stated that they did not know up until that day that it was a private job, that the other groundy1 must have arranged it all while they was clearing the other job and they would not have done it if they had known. The groundy 1 basicly tried to take them all down with him and also spouted of that others do it in the firm and started naming names and trying to take ithers with him.

It ended in my son and the climber getting a final written warning (even though they both have a clean slate up til that point he put them straight to a final warning) and the other groundy 1 getting dissmissal with 2 weeks notice due to tge fact that he had priced it, agreed it and pulked the others in without giving them the kniwledge of it being a private job and that he skready had black matks on his record. The groundy 1 said he was leaving that day and wasnt coming back but begore he left he went to the boss and asked for redundancey pay but the boss said your being sacked not made redundant.

Yesterday ((a week later) groundy 1 turned up at the firm stating he wanted to apoeal and part of his apoeal is that my son did not pay his part of the money back. The boss called my son into his office today and asked if he had paid the money back and my son told him he had and that it was put into the receptionist drawer by my partner (this is where they keep petty cash) as the boss was not in that day. my son is now again depressed as he is worried that the boss could change his mind with regards to their outcome (such as taking the final warning away and sacking them also) he has young children and a partner to surport.

They (my son and the climber) did not agree that they should have had a final warning in the first place as they did not know it was a private but accepted the decision as they like where they work and didnt want to rock the boat into losing their jobs. They are both wortied that by the groundy 1 putting in an appeal it will mean theirs will have to be looked into as well again. Can anyone advise on if the boss can do this or uf its just the person that has appealed that has his looked at.

Edited by SabreSheep
added paragraphs to make it readable

Hi welcome to CAG

Others will be around later to help you.

Regards

SS

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Realistically, I am assuming your son is old enough to deal with his employment issues without your help - the reason I say this is because occasionally your children can present one version to parents, and another to their employer.

In any event, if he is a good lad normally, and he knows the score next time, then a final warning isn't going to be a problem for him. Normally, he will just have to keep his nose clean for 12 months, which shouldn't be that hard!

As with most disciplinary events, he does have the right of appeal, and he would need to contact the HR department (or a similar manager), in writing outlining why he believes the outcome is unfair. A more senior manager is then supposed to review the entire case and chose or uphold the appropriate sanction. Whilst this is an official procedure, you have to remember that this sort of thing can draw much unwanted attention, and if the original manager feels as though he has done your son a favour by not sacking him, this will really mark his card.

Realistically, I am assuming your son is old enough to deal with his employment issues without your help - the reason I say this is because occasionally your children can present one version to parents, and another to their employer.

In any event, if he is a good lad normally, and he knows the score next time, then a final warning isn't going to be a problem for him. Normally, he will just have to keep his nose clean for 12 months, which shouldn't be that hard!

As with most disciplinary events, he does have the right of appeal, and he would need to contact the HR department (or a similar manager), in writing outlining why he believes the outcome is unfair. A more senior manager is then supposed to review the entire case and chose or uphold the appropriate sanction. Whilst this is an official procedure, you have to remember that this sort of thing can draw much unwanted attention, and if the original manager feels as though he has done your son a favour by not sacking him, this will really mark his card.

Hi and thanks for reply. Yes my son is old enough and does not need my help.

I am dealing with this as he is at work and wants to know where he stands and is no good at writing up what he actually wants to say he is better in person.

I know the events as i have stated are right as i stated earlier my partner is their manager and had to sit in on the disciplinary meeting for all 3 and the meetings was taped for them to be typed up and i have bern helping out with the typing up as the recpetionist is on holiday and i fill in when she is away.

He is not querying the fact that he was given a final warning as he understands as per their contracts that either this or dismissal is given for private work being done during work hours. And the owner has now stated that he remembers sering the envelope and receptionist states that she also recalls seeing it.

My son and the climber have not appealed as they are just happy that they still have jobs but the other guy that got sacked due to playing the bigger part in the insidance has appealed, and for some reason has stated that my son did not pay the money that was given to him back to the boss (when he has) but although the boss and receptionist recal seeing it (they now cant find it) so wondering how the sacked guy has come about stating this.

My son wants to know that as this guy has appealed (and its the owners and my partner that chaired the meetings in the disciplinary so no one above them and they will deal with the appeal) will it just be this guy that will be dealt with and either decision upheld or changed or will all of them have to be dealt with again.

Edited by SabreSheep
Re formatted

The sacked person has every right to appeal his dismissal and that wont affect the outcome of the other disciplinarys. If he calls them as witnesses or says things that the bosses consider need reinvestigating they may ask for further statements but I suspect that this is just someone wanting to cause as much hurt as possible on their way down and no-one will apply much weight to any new statements.