Not sure if you're allowed to park here or not (Google Street view link)

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3134 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I was looking for a place to park near a local station.

There is an NPC park and ride there, with a few bays,

but I've noticed there is a road that goes around the bays with no yellow lines,

and it's not clear whether or not it is a part of the car park or not, as there is only 1 sign at the back.

There is plenty of room to park here, and others do, but just wanted to know if it is a part of it or not.

Here is a google street view link which is pointing at the place I want to park, spin around and you will see the entrance road and the car park.

https://goo.gl/maps/oJRbp

There are no "You will be charged" signs anywhere, nothing on the entrance, if you took a right turn from the road leading in, you wouldn't even go past the sign.

EDIT: Here are some pictures of the sign taken today. I couldn't even read the T&C's while standing right infront of it.

http://imgur.com/a/G9sOM

Plenty of spaces out side of the bays. I'll try taking a picture on my way home tonight. I took a quick glance this morning and didn't see anything about any charges, at least not clearly though.

Ran by NPC.

My point is that there is no way to know there the road ends and the car park starts, I doubt the sign would define this, so the sign is likely to say about not parking outside of the bays, but that would be too generic.

You might find all that land is owned by Network Rail around the station. Access and use of that land will be subject to Railway bye laws. Not only could you be towed if deemed obstructing traffic, but still get a ticket from a British Transport Cop, and /or NPC as authorised agents for Network Rail

I'm not worried about getting a PCN, private companies will issue PCN's for anything, and they probably will issue one for parking there. I doubt the sign will say anything other than "parking out side of bays", which would apply to anyone parking anywhere in the world!

I'll take a picture of the sign tonight so we can double check.

Orbiter dictum, Interesting point, but that is also not clear if it is or not. To me, it looks like a road with parking in the middle.

Parking where the link shows isn't obstructing, as others also park there.

I just wonder whether cars that park there get reported as a hazard and towed away. Whether it is my immagination or not, i can see traces of previous yellow line markings which have not been re applied. I would expect yellow lines near an entrance to a rail station.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I just wonder whether cars that park there get reported as a hazard and towed away. Whether it is my immagination or not, i can see traces of previous yellow line markings which have not been re applied. I would expect yellow lines near an entrance to a rail station.

I've seen cars park there for a few years now. There is no hazard as there is enough space. Also the bays are never full with people parking around it. I can't see any yellow lines there either, there is an old bus stop which has been long removed.

Having just looked a lot closer to the road marking they are nearly all non-compliant, plus there is a vaguely marked bus stop too, (just under the notice for payment) so the train company could remove the two cars that are parked nose to tail due to the obstruction (turning circle) we need clearer photos....

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

Also do you notice the yellow painted curbs at either end and yellow bollards.

I reckon the whole area is a controlled parking zone, where you can only park in marked bays.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Also do you notice the yellow painted curbs at either end and yellow bollards.

I reckon the whole area is a controlled parking zone, where you can only park in marked bays.

I see them now. So parking there would be a no no? If I did, and got ticketed, could I dispute it due to lack of compliance. (I really hate the morning bus).

Micky, the bus stop is old and not in use. No buses travel there.

On the Google map, if you use the arrow to move around to the other side and then look back across, it shows cars parked there, plus the yellow curbs have been added, plus the yellow bollards and there is a new entrance sign attached to railings.

Obviously they have made changes to the area, but have not made it clear that you cannot park outside of marked bays.

Not sure what you mean, I've looked all around from different angles and can't see it.

There are no other signs apart from the large on at the back. The ones on the fences are security notices for the industrial site.

Edit: I can see it now, have to be in the right location to see it! - Direct link: https://goo.gl/maps/38Fde. The image is from 2009.

Use to arrow to navigate around, looking back at your possible parking spot. You will see video has been shot at different times, showing changes to the parking area.

The yellow curbs are actually shown when your possible parking spot is empty. Is that what the area looks like now with painted yellow curbs ?

JoeyJoeC

The reason that you could not see it before is that the location is a composite street view.

The sign referred to is a 2009 capture, whereas the original post, alongside the two cars parked outside the bays, is 2012.

Unfortunately you cannot always rely on Google maps for up to date information.

My time as a Police Officer and subsequently time working within the Motor Trade gives me certain insights into the problems that consumers may encounter.

I have no legal qualifications.

If you have found my post helpful, please enhance my reputation by clicking on the Heart. Thank you

Yellow curbs apparently mean a clear zone. This is why they are either side of pedestrian crossings. So if you parked by a crossing that would not be allowed.

But i doubt that whole side of road is a clear zone or it is not being enforced.

I've seen lines on the kerb before, but not an entire painted kerb section. I had a quick look, but couldn't find anything other than the single and double markings. Never seen them on crossings before (I may just have never noticed them).

The kerbs near the bays all have yellow sections of kerb too, one lot have double yellow lines also, but the others don't.

I've seen lines on the kerb before, but not an entire painted kerb section. I had a quick look, but couldn't find anything other than the single and double markings. Never seen them on crossings before (I may just have never noticed them).

The kerbs near the bays all have yellow sections of kerb too, one lot have double yellow lines also, but the others don't.

The yellow curbs as clear zones was only mentioned on one of those Q&A sites, but perhaps it was an American answering as they use them in the US. Could not see any mention on any official UK site.

Perhaps the yellow paint on curbs is just fluorescent paint, so people could see these and may not mean anything official in the UK.

You could ask the local council about parking in that area to see what restrictions apply, as it is not clear.

Pretty certain the yellow markings are just to stop them being sued my people who trip over them claiming they never saw it. eg, look at the gap in the bollards leading to the station - the corner of the curbing which sticks out a little is painted there as well. (on the original 2012 image)

Edited to add: In fairness, painting hazards in bright yellow is probably far more useful and important to those with visual impairments than I'm giving credit for. But it did just remind me of the police officer who sued because she tripped over a curb whilst chasing someone.

Well I managed to take some pictures. Unfortunately I forgot to bring my Hubble space telescope with me, so the terms & conditions are unreadable, even on my Samsung Galaxy S5 with 16MP camera standing directly in front of it held up high!!

I couldn't read the sign either.

3 images uploaded here: http://imgur.com/a/G9sOM

From what I can tell, the sign is non-compliant, as it is missing details.

There is now a yellow line marking on the ground, which I have no idea what it is for, and the old bus stop has now been replaced with 3 more bays.

Well I managed to take some pictures. Unfortunately I forgot to bring my Hubble space telescope with me, so the terms & conditions are unreadable, even on my Samsung Galaxy S5 with 16MP camera standing directly in front of it held up high!!

I couldn't read the sign either.

3 images uploaded here: http://imgur.com/a/G9sOM

From what I can tell, the sign is non-compliant, as it is missing details.

There is now a yellow line marking on the ground, which I have no idea what it is for, and the old bus stop has now been replaced with 3 more bays.

I don't think it is clear whether the bit where you want to park, is part of the car park or just the access road, for which there is no parking restriction.

I don't think it is clear whether the bit where you want to park, is part of the car park or just the access road, for which there is no parking restriction.

There isn't a yellow line anywhere else.

It actually now looks like that the sign only covers those 3 spaces, and nothing else since the yellow line separates it.

I'm going to begin parking there Wednesday and will see what happens.