Dodgy car from dealer - Have I screwed myself?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2063 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hey folks

I have some experience buying and selling cars however I have recently had my first bad experience.I bought a car from a dealer about 180miles from my home (it was a somewhat rare car and I live in the north of Scotland). The dealer seems fairly reputable with a large premises and shifts a lot of high value vehicles. The vehicle I purchased they had received as a trade in and were advertising it as "Sold as seen". The dealer also stated the vehicle was sold as seen with no warranty when I was viewing it.

The vehicle seemed to be in good roadworthy condition with a full 12 months MOT, good service history and low miles (62k). The dealer also stated that I shouldnt have a problem getting it home as he had driven it himself for a couple of weeks after they received it. after viewing I decided to buy the car, the dealer reiterated that the vehicle was sold as seen and I filled in the information for the V5 and signed a receipt. HOWEVER the receipt states that the vehicle was "Sold as spares or repair",I did notice this at the time but said nothing of it (stupidly). The dealer did not even hint that the vehicle was not roadworthy and even forced me to show proof of tax and insurance before I drove it off his lot.

100 miles and 2 hours later well cruising at 70mph the vehicle lost power and stranded me at the side of the motorway, I was able to coast at idle along the shoulder to park at the side of a B road outside of the motorway. AA man said that it was most likely the oil pump had siezed and starved the top end of the engine of oil causing it to overheat. Although he said that by quickly pulling in I may have saved the engine from siezing (it still starts, fires on all 6 cylinders however there is a lot of valve tappet rattle), so the vehicle is most likely fixable. The vehicle is 11.5 years old (53 plate) with 62k miles on it and was purchased for £1000. I am aware under the Sales of Goods act that a dealer cannot sell a car to a private individual as Sold as seen and must offer some reasonably reliability however I am not sure if I have screwed myself by signing a reciept stating "Spares or repair"

Tldr:

Bought an 11 year old motor with 60k on the clock for £1000

It was advertised at a dealer as sold and seen to be driven away but the receipt states "spares or repair"

Had a valid MOT 12month by the dealer with 3 minor advisories, none of them related to the major fault

Broke down 2 hours and 100 miles later

Do I have any comeback with the dealer to request a refund for repairs? I have not contacted the dealer yet (it is Sunday I bought it on Saturday). Nor have I had the car properly assesed by a mechanic (family friend is assessing damage on Monday)

Thanks

CAE

Edited by Caelite
Messed up paragraphs somehow
It had a full MOT yet sold for spares or repair

Something does not add up

Car was advertised Sold as seen. Advertised as a roadworthy vehicle to drive away. Receipt clearly states "This vehicle is sold as spares and repairs" next to where I signed, Id post a picture of the receipt but my paperwork is at my folks house about 2 hours away from me. To be honest it seems like the dealer is pulling a fast one to try to cover his ass against someone in my situation. The question im asking is will this method of ass covering work for him if I where to seek compensation for a ****ed vehicle?

Also is it worth even trying considering the age and value of the car (in my opinion im looking at a few £100 of repairs)

You shouldn't have signed it if you weren't ok about it being spares or repair. No, a dealer cannot sell a car to you 'as seen' UNLESS it's for spares. The fact that it had an MOT is irrelevant - it can be roadworthy but still sold on a spares / repairs basis - in which case it is sold as it is, as you are buying it for parts: I know and you know you weren't buying it for parts, but sadly you signed for it saying you were.

Very sticky one, did the ad say spares or repairs or just sold as seen?

If no spares or repairs actually stated in the ad you may have an outside chance. If the ad actually stated spare or repair then you've got none.

You say you have bought and sold cars, are you trading yourself ?

If you are a consumer then sold as seen has no legal standing in fact it is seen as an attempt to take away your statutory right and that is unlawful.

Edited by Conniff
You say you have bought and sold cars, are you trading yourself ?

If you are a consumer then sold as seen has no legal standing in fact is it seen as an attempt to take away your statutory right and that is unlawful.

Yes, unless the car is being sold for spares - effectively for scrap purposes. Otherwise any mechanically imperfect vehicle would be valueless.

What was the name of the place? Several months ago I drove up to Scotland from London to buy a car from a dealer. Seemed genuine, even gave us tea and biscuits.

We took it for a test drive on a very empty tank, got as far as the end of the road and back. Not until we paid for it did the guy offer to put some fuel in it. By the time we got back to London the next day, we found petrol trickling out of the tank. A hole around 1cm was found in the tank and it had been plugged up with plastic bags and hot glue. Luckily the dealer didn't know anything about a mod on the car which doubled it's value!

Forgot to mention, that he also done the "sold as seen" thing, but when it came to the sale, he stamped it with "Spares and Repairs ONLY", but we failed to notice.

Quite literally that's what happened. The mod was a supercharger in an IS200. Bought the whole car for £1200, sold the supercharger for £1800, £70 for a new petrol tank, then sold the car for £1200. Anyway, not to highjack the thread!

(Forgot to mention, that while he was writing down the details of the car, he started putting on YouTube videos for us to watch, I realize now it was to distract us from seeing him stamp the paperwork.

Two things which might just be in your favour. Firstly, do you still have the advert?

Secondly, as I understand it, a vehicle sold for spares or repair by a trader, must be transported away from his premises, not under it's own steam. I suspect the dealer may have committed an offence by allowing you to drive it away from his premises----worth checking it out??????

It means it's being sold on the basis that the buyer is going to use it for spares or carry out repairs to it. It can still be roadworthy.

For example, a car with a warped cylinder head that uses a pint of water every 20 miles and would cost £750 to repair can still pass an MOT test and therefore be fit to use on a public road as shown by an MOT tester having declared it fit.

I don't think it means any of those things. It means the dealer can't recover the repair cost in the sale price.

Yep that just about nails it. Uneconomical to repair due to value of vehicle so only suitable for spares or DIY repair.