Need Some Advice Regarding An HMRC Debt

WanderingMan

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2279 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I'm not sure if I should be posting this here or in the debt forum, if I'm in the wrong place then please accept my apologies.

I have a debt of £1500 to HMRC (my own fault I have the debt but I'm working hard to settle it).

I was paying £10 a week to HMRC through my online banking, it's all I can afford. I'm self employed at the moment but my business is dying away, I have no way of recovering my business. I have been looking for full time work and there's no work available, I have however had an offer of full time permanent work from a company I used to work for but the job start date isn't until January.

About 2 weeks ago HMRC passed the debt to a debt collection agency called Apex Credit Management who have since demanded the debt to be settled in full, I have no savings and my only asset is a car (which I need), I don't know the exact value of my car but it's not a lot, I bought it 4 year ago for a £1000.

I wrote to Apex with an offer of £10 per week token payment but they refused as it's not a high enough offer, the letter said something about HMRC policy to have the account settled within 12 months. If I couldn't raise the token payment then they would hand the account back to HMRC for further enforcement.

£10 a week is all I can genuinely afford, if I start this job in January I could have the remaining balance settled by about March.

If I was to continue with the token payments, is it likely that HMRC would take further action while payments are being paid?

What is the chance that they would automatically bankrupt me? I have a couple of other debts (1 priority and 1 non priority - both larger amounts than HMRC) who have all accepted the same token payment without any problems.

I'm not sure if I should be posting this here or in the debt forum, if I'm in the wrong place then please accept my apologies.

I have a debt of £1500 to HMRC (my own fault I have the debt but I'm working hard to settle it).

I was paying £10 a week to HMRC through my online banking, it's all I can afford. I'm self employed at the moment but my business is dying away, I have no way of recovering my business. I have been looking for full time work and there's no work available, I have however had an offer of full time permanent work from a company I used to work for but the job start date isn't until January.

About 2 weeks ago HMRC passed the debt to a debt collection agency called Apex Credit Management who have since demanded the debt to be settled in full, I have no savings and my only asset is a car (which I need), I don't know the exact value of my car but it's not a lot, I bought it 4 year ago for a £1000.

I wrote to Apex with an offer of £10 per week token payment but they refused as it's not a high enough offer, the letter said something about HMRC policy to have the account settled within 12 months. If I couldn't raise the token payment then they would hand the account back to HMRC for further enforcement.

£10 a week is all I can genuinely afford, if I start this job in January I could have the remaining balance settled by about March.

If I was to continue with the token payments, is it likely that HMRC would take further action while payments are being paid?

What is the chance that they would automatically bankrupt me? I have a couple of other debts (1 priority and 1 non priority - both larger amounts than HMRC) who have all accepted the same token payment without any problems.

Bankruptcy threshold goes up to £5k in October. They won't bother due to costs of this and it would be up to HMRC anyway. If it was for a lot more and you owned property, it might have been considered.

Suggest a letter to Appex and HMRC setting out your position. That you can only make token payments for now and once you start work in January you will look at what you can afford. You could send them rough details of current income and expenses, so they can see your current position.

A debt agency like Apex have no powers. They cannot really refuse payments offers, as I don't think HMRC would allow this. Only if it went to county court and HMRC had a CCJ which enabled enforcement such as sending bailiffs would things like a car be in danger of being taken and sold. Apex cannot do this. You are not in that position of court enfircement at the moment and as long as you pay what you can afford, it should not happen.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread