From my Local newsletter

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3145 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

"Just had my water bill of £175.00 come through the letter box.

That's a lot - Oxfam can supply a whole African village for £2.00 per month, time to change supplier I think"

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Water bills.Now there is a story.

Just had 4 weeks of some bug being in the pipes in my area.

Compensation due to be paid of 60 pound roughly due to boiling water.And buying the stuff as well.

Nearly started collecting from gutters,buying a water butt and a salt water converter as i live on the coast.

Bet many of you do not know a area of Britain has been in a right old state for a month or more.Some people are saying if this had been London all hell would have been let loose.Prime Holiday resort,hotels everyone boiling water or buying it.

Some said it was a rival resort stitching the town up. Such was the worry at such a busy time.A worst time could not be possible.

Whatever or if there is someone who did such a thing people want to know how exactly it happened.

So it never happens again

Just returned to normal now.

Newspapers,TV would have been right down the companies throats 24 hours a day with live coverage from Uncle Toms House showing the water flowing.Granny and kids in the corner drinking from bottles with straws.You understand what i am saying.

One chap i heard about,cough,kept drinking the tap water but boiled the water for his dog.

However as i like a story to tell that is not why i came to this thread.

Now old Tawnyowl likes to move round a bit.Think last count was 60 odd moves.

But feel now i have finally arrived somewhere that feels like home. Or will be when carpets etc go down in all rooms.Been here a few weeks now.

Come to think of it do i need carpets.Concrete feels ok and not a cold house.Quick sweep,done

No cleaner that automatically falls to bits by remote control after a few months like someone switched a switch.

And needs someone with a degree in engineering to fix.

Shed outside is my domain and so happy in there.Time just flashes by.Does not matter that roof leaks like waterfall at Niagara Falls and can see through sides.

It will be fixed before winter and before telephone,computer goes in to run new business that already is ongoing. How long it lasts is anyone's guess but due to past Entrepreneurial attempts perhaps not to long.But is a crafty kind of business so not expecting a fortune.But somehow because of the stress free life it is giving that will do.

Now due to past worries with Water Bills old Tawny likes to pay things weekly,monthly and not have a bill that gently floats through the letterbox onto the concrete floor with a thud.

Why do bills sound so loud. Do you say when a few letters land, Oh no not more bills just as you are getting back on top with your finances.

So anyway i phoned the Water Board up to have a chat,i do like a chat as you probably have noticed. Said Tawnyowl here i want to pay by installments change addresses things like that.

Certainly no problem a friendly chap said and we talked away for about half a hour at least.

Well by the time we had finished old owl was in shock to say the least.

Every house i have been in before you just got your bill,fixed and that was it.

When he looked at things he said you have a Water Meter.

Felt quite happy that such a modern contraption was in the house.Did not know that one was in.Thought without looking to closely it was some sort of washing machine connection. Never seen one before.

He said i will just check the reading,see how long you have been there,what you are using,how many in house see how things are working out for you.

Now old Tawny said to him,are you some sort of Clairvoyant how can you tell such things.

Says we have vans when we go past they send readings back without needing to enter the property.Automatically.Every time we go past we take a reading from your meter. Hold on i said my missus is in the kitchen a lot you are nosey looking into my kitchen.I do not know why he started laughing.Your property has been empty for a while so will work from closing reading.

Well turns out it will be if working on lowest possible 12.00 a week.About 600.00 a year.

Double what i have been paying.

So as you say CitizenB maybe time to think about things closely. My pockets will be empty,the shareholders will be full if this carries on and we put up with things.

If we cut back what do you think they will do. Put the price up perhaps.Seems to work that way.

Cost of living v wages is rising time for the Revolution friends the Revolution is drawing nearer.

Bye for now.

Tawnyowl with a Tale Of The Unexpected.

Water companies, the only utility monopoly in the country. All they would have to do is connect the adjoining supplier with a 22m pipe and we would have a national grid and the cost would plummet (especially in the Westcountry), as there would then be competition.

Are you on a meter Citizen ?

Sorry Conniff was replying to Estellyn took me so long to write missed your post.

Good heavens i did not know that.Have not looked can you change water suppliers somehow. Is it worth it .

A Monopoly how modern.

A Cartel of suppliers around the Country telling us what to pay.Do you think they get together to discuss things a kind of bonding day.

We need a pipe from Lake Baikal please to supply us please if works out cheaper.

Maybe not that is Russia.

I think but i believe it has one fifth of the earths freshwater. I thought it was one third.Even has a tide.It is that big.

Just in case anyones interested.A link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_Baikal

How can we reduce water bills.

I understand cutting back but at the moment there is enough to go round.And how far can we cut back.

As more houses get built and the concrete jungle gets bigger is that going to affect supplies.

And if Fracking really gets going,well fill your buckets.Start now.The amount of water that uses scares you.

Generally, 2-8 million gallons of water may be used to frack a well. Some wells consume much more. A well may be fracked multiple times, with each frack increasing the chances of chemical leakage into the soil and local water sources.

Just imagine a hot summer down south and fracking taking place.Better not.

And if the Water Table gets polluted heaven help us.

Building more reservoirs in the South would help a few as things get tight down there at times.

What do you think.Anyone out there.What would you suggest.

Anyone out there as i see some pay about 300 how much the total bill is for Great Britain and what the profit works out at.

Just realised i did not ask if you can have a Water Meter taking out and go back to normal.Just a bill.

Which raises another thought.

Are the water companies planning or thinking about making it compulsory to have one.

Are you on a meter Citizen ?

No Conniff, I am not. Newer properties in the village are, but those of us with older properties have been given the choice. With the option to reverse within 12 months if it doesn't suit.

I did compare prices with a couple of properties that have similar usage to us but are on meter. Their bills are far higher than ours, so I will stay put for the moment.

We collect rainwater in butts and use water wisely.

Currently our water bill /sewage is £555.00 per year.

It is my understanding that if you have a water meter you receive two bills one for water and one for sewage and that wouldn't suit me at all.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

TO, I did read and see on the news about your water problems - I felt very sorry for those businesses who were going to lose quite a lot of income because of it. Should the water company not compensate them ?

BCOBS

We decided to go on a meter as the conversion is free and doesn't take long. I bought a water butt as our intention was to use that as toilet flushing. Boy, were we surprised. All the plans we made on how we could save on water were thrown in the bin and the butt sits outside empty.

The bill is so low compared with what we were paying that we haven't made any conscious attempt to save water. Our bill reduced from around the £1,400 pa to around the £3-400 pa that is one big saving.

As it is reversible after 12 months, it really is worth giving it a shot.

Edited by Conniff

WOW, that is a very good saving. However, that was a huge bill before you converted ??

BCOBS

South West Water. They have the highest bills in the country and in fact when I was on a genealogy forum, I asked people from around the world to say what there water bill was and ours turned out to be the highest in the world.

We have to clean the beaches and ..... Well they've finished cleaning the beaches etc but the bills never went down, in fact they continued to rise.

We decided to go on a meter as the conversion is free and doesn't take long. I bought a water butt as our intention was to use that as toilet flushing. Boy, were we surprised. All the plans we made on how we could save on water were thrown in the bin and the butt sits outside empty.

The bill is so low compared with what we were paying that we haven't made any conscious attempt to save water. Our bill reduced from around the £1,400 pa to around the £3-400 pa that is one big saving.

As it is reversible after 12 months, it really is worth giving it a shot.

Just wondering Conniff how many are in your household if you do not mind me asking.

I consider myself to be careful but there are five of us.

So roughly 300 before now 600 so roughly 12.00 a week or 2 pound odd a week each.When you break it down like that maybe not to bad.Just shocked me at first.

As paying 300 before the Water Meter.

Say if you had two people well that at say 400 would be about 8 pound or 4.00 each per week roughly.

Trying to compare.

citizenB i believe the companies and businesses are trying to work something out but am not up to date with things.

Some companies spent tens of thousands the bigger ones i believe .

I will check and edit later so you know.

Just checked 22.00 hours.

Rough idea of compensation to householders 15 million.

Business compensation decided on case by case.Will cost plentiful i feel.

Who will pay for that i wonder.

Expecting water companies to open new bottling plants.

Make a few bob.

You will have to excuse me now going to garden to look for natural spring.Taking spade to dig a little.

Business idea once again.

When I lived in London many years ago, there was a place in the Battersea area where literally 1000's of gallons of water was constantly flooding the road from a burst water main. I am sure it was not the only place where water was being wasted. It is things like that and the dreadful state of the underground water pipes etc that increases the cost of water bills. I do not see why the end user should pay for the lack of maintenance by the water companies.

BCOBS

Just wondering Conniff how many are in your household if you do not mind me asking.

I consider myself to be careful but there are five of us.

So roughly 300 before now 600 so roughly 12.00 a week or 2 pound odd a week each.When you break it down like that maybe not to bad.Just shocked me at first.

Say if you had two people well that at say 400 would be about 8 pound or 4.00 each per week roughly.

Trying to compare.

There are just the two of us now TO but there was four. We don't flush the toilet after every wee, just a couple times per day. It seems silly pouring 3 gallons of water down to flush away about a teacup of urine. Our bill havent' really reduced since our son and his wife moved out as I use a pressure washer and the misses waters the garden plus the car etc:

We can make do without gas and electricity but we can't go more than a week without water. It should never have been sold off. They could have employed some fancy manager and paid him what they do today but look at the profit that would have been going into the treasury especially now that the majority of restoration has been done.

nb

if your gutters dont flow into the mains drain, then entitled to a discount. albeit small.

worked out that a watering can of water costs around 2/3. ie a toilet flush. edit.

When I lived in London many years ago, there was a place in the Battersea area where literally 1000's of gallons of water was constantly flooding the road from a burst water main. I am sure it was not the only place where water was being wasted. It is things like that and the dreadful state of the underground water pipes etc that increases the cost of water bills. I do not see why the end user should pay for the lack of maintenance by the water companies.

Once again your post brought back memories.

Tried to make a few bob over the years.Try anything once.Or did.

I will not go on to long or try not to.

Trying to stop fingers,blunt ones tapping away on keyboard.

Here we go a short story once again.

Many years ago old Tawny used to like a pint.Observe people,noticed this group of grippers.You know strong no necked types often seen floating out of Gyms.

However these guys were naturally strong and could put away pints like i have never seen.In for a couple of hours every night.

So been naturally inquisitive i said after a while what do you do.

Said we are tunnelers young owl we graft from 6 till 6 six days a week.Now after one or two pints young owl could not fly.Never really been able to drink much but they could and get up every day.

After another few days said to them how much do you earn.

Now this was 30 years ago.700 Pound A Week.Well feathers fluffed up when this was said.

At the time i was earning one pound a hour for 80 hours a week.Saturday Night Fever days local Disco.Brand spanking new and met many people. A interesting place to work.

Many Victorian Sewers being replaced around town.Saw one maybe 20 feet diameter as i remember.

Wonderful to look at and made of brick. Think how hard and what kind of men could work in those days. And the conditions.

Imagine London and how many Victorian Sewers have or are being replaced.

Back to this short story.Could not get it out of my mind this money they were making so became friendly with the foreman bought him a pint or two.Never a round because i would not last.

Because they always bought back.

Said to foreman one evening.Hey young owl wants a crack at this will you take me on.

After he stopped laughing he said turn up tomorrow morning at this site and we will see.

Morning came and young owl turned up at crack of dawn.

Saw a crane.Then i saw this great big hole going down maybe 20 feet or so.Shored up.

Pipes everywhere,equipment,empty wagons like trains have that carry goods.

Down hole i went with foreman.Helmet on etc looking like a miner.

Then when at bottom of shaft went further into tunnel from hell to the face if you like maybe 40 feet.

Foreman said look young owl this is peat.Could you believe that.Dripping from the roof onto owl.Water everywhere.

Right you use this he said.What is that,it is a Kango like you see road workers use.You know the ones that make noise from hell and shake your bones to pieces and deafen everyone for miles.

But smaller.You hold it out in front of you and chip it off piece by piece.Throw it into wagon,wagon on rails goes to end,connect chains crane lifts it out back to ground level.Wagon when full goes elsewhere.Never knew where.

I lasted about 4 hours.Said to foreman thanks but not for this young owl.The hardest work i ever attempted.Foreman said well young owl this is peat can you imagine what rock is like.

And sometimes we work with compressed air which can rot the bones a touch.Something like that as i remember.

So maybe i am beginning to think maybe my water bill is about right if that still goes on. And i remember going to live in a cave in the Canary Islands,done some strange things, and having to pay i think 50p for a bottle of water about 20 years ago.A big bottle mind you.

We parted on good terms and last i heard of them they were tunneling in some desert in a far flung destination.

And Ford a interesting fact that.The discount and i did not have a clue about how much a watering can of water costs.

And brought another thought.How much do you think watering a garden would cost.As i feel a drought building and am getting worried now.

And maybe i will fit a camera to keep a eye on that Water Meter.Watch it like a hawk.

Plants are wilting,wilting i tell you,what shall i do.

As for leaks popping up all over the place.Has me wondering a few things.

Before privatisation what condition were the sewers and pipework of Great Britain in.

Lead being fed to us. Old iron pipework

And if now nearing completion of renewel and paid for by the Great British people maybe now after all that investment prices will drop again.

Or does it not work like that.

Will the shareholders be licking their lips at the prospect of profit,profit,profit.

Knew i should have bought some.Trouble was money as usual was short.

Seen your post below citizenB no i did not even think of asking. :lol: Mind you i feel maybe send a letter is now in my mind.

About 72.00 i feel that would be plus a little interest.I will not sleep tonight.

Wonder where they are now.And if still working how much they earn now.

Bye for now

Tawnyowl.

• Haha 1

Oh my, I couldn't have gone down into the bowels of the earth, even for 4 hours. Well done for giving it a try TO. Erm, did they pay you for the 4 hours :lol:

BCOBS

Just been looking around a little.

Making sure us the Great British people are not getting taken on a twisting water slide that leads straight to the shareholders pockets,see what is and has been going on.

Since about 2009.

As the heat of this day dies down and the coolness of a autumn evening arrives i will put a few figures out there and some facts.

And the articles may raise your blood pressure a touch perhaps.

If anyone has read my couple of posts on this thread you probably noticed i nearly talked myself into accepting that the price we pay was fair.Nearly.

I am not to convinced now.

Let us start with dividends and interest paid out by water companies in 2013.Where it seems every Tom Dick and Harry from around the world has invested.

Where it seems the money you have paid floats of around the world never to be seen again.

Are you ready.Maybe you will need sunglasses or protection of some sort before reading this figure.

Total interest and dividends paid out by water companies in 2013

3.8 BILLION POUNDS 3,800,000,000

TOTAL figure if publicly financed would have saved 75.00 per household.

I like looking at figures and facts and will edit and add as the evening goes on.

Have your say how you feel about things.Will just keep adding.And watching the thread.

Maybe best to put this article on for those that like a read.

Energy, rail and water privatisation costs UK households £250 a year

https://corporatewatch.org/news/2014/dec/08/energy-rail-and-water-privatisation-costs-uk-households-%C2%A3250-year

How about this

In total, cheaper government borrowing rates could save the UK public £6.5bn: £4.2bn on energy, £2bn on water and £352m on rail.

About 250.00 per household.

Water companies leak 22% of their water.Can you believe that.

citizenB noticed that when living in London. Just checking outside see if any leaks anywhere as can take buckets etc.Save a few bob on Water Meter.

Which i am taking a dislike to.Wondering if i have been had over.Wondering what the percentage of people are paying on water meter to what they paid before.Or would do without one.

I will check.Now

Mmm seems that 46% of people do.What about the other 54%

Wrote this a touch fast.Will check again and see who did this research.

As sometimes just sometimes not that i am suspicious turns out research is done by companies that are paid by who they report to.

And usually works in their favour.

Will switching to a water meter save money? When you click on the article look at the picture.Does it give you any ideas.Or have i or am i becoming a bad person with my thoughts.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2014/jul/08/will-switching-to-a-water-meter-save-money

Interesting thoughts.

There is also a growing trend across the world – from Paris to Argentina- to bring previously-privatised water services under the control of local municipal authorities (so-called 'remunicipalisation'). According to a recent book on the subject by Corporate Europe Observatory, Transnational Institute and the Municipal Services Project: “water services can be transferred from private to public ownership and management with little disruption of service and with extremely positive results.”

Just going out for a hour.A walk on the beach,maybe a swim as i am overheating a touch.And it is free.What soap works in seawater will find out.

Water Meter thoughts again.

Back later Tawnyowl.

Why oh why didn't I buy shares when they went public !!

That is a heck of a lot of money into the pockets of investors, TO. Now are they reinvesting ?

BCOBS

Do you think that the CEOs of these companies earn a touch to much.

How many hours do they do.Per week.

Are they worth their money.I do not know but am going to look.

I understand many people do not agree with doing away with all this privatisation.

And some would like things back to how they were.What do any of you think out there in web land.If that is what you call it.

Amazing that seconds after you tap away away it goes somehow and appears worldwide somehow.

Suppose you have to be careful what you say.

Just in case Tawnyowl politically just wants fairness for all that is all.And really i am unbiassed and waiting for the chosen ones to arrive with a real masterplan.

Going to look for CEOs wages hours etc.Who they are.Why i do not know.Yet.

Oh dear the first article i was going to quote from says company has deployed a army of cyber spies, to watch what you say, any criticism, i suppose that means the James Bonds of web land.So will refrain. For now.To late in the day for battles.Car chases etc.

Sorry ended up in America got distracted. Checked out what they earned in 2012. Good grief.

Hard to understand these salaries. bonuses etc. a

Back to search

Am i going wrong somewhere am i seeing that our water that drops from the sky in this country is somehow owned or controlled by companies elsewhere in the world.What is happening or has happened.

Must be my mistake.Let us go back to 2012.Drought time down South.

If you live down south you lucky devils,so much history and ancient buildings, what do you think of your local water supplier being owned by a foreign Bank or company.

And maybe sold on a few times for profit,profit profit.

Get it back,if it was only that easy,

And get a few more reservoirs and maybe a couple of pipes from the North or Scotland.Water Butts as well.

Mmm Water Butt business idea.

Coming to a town near you at bargain prices.Sheds if you have one, gutters fitted and water butts supplied and fitted back and front in 3 hours.

Introductory price for limited period only xxxxx

Before a drought really hits.

Water companies splashed out £4million in bonuses to bosses despite failure to repair leaks

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-2125430/Water-companies-splashed-4million-bonuses-bosses.html

Nice thread citizenB

Tawnyowl..

I don't think that any utility company should have been privatised nor should they be in the hands of foreign investors.

BCOBS

After a short while looking around and seeing how much money is being made by companies, individuals and powerful people probably with connections high up.

I personally see no prospect of water companies being renationalised.

But maybe someone will try.I would wish them well with such a quest.If the public would truly benefit.

A thought from elsewhere.In the world.

When Water Is for Sale: What Water Privatisation Really Means

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/fragkiska-megaloudi/water-privatisation-what-it-really-means_b_3381233.html

PS-On that post on page one about Tunnelers and Victorian sewers etc just checked how much they can earn now.

Upto 400.00 A day when working on the London Underground in 2013.

Just in case anyone is interested in this fact a link.

New wave of Irish labourers earning up to £400 a day in Britain

http://irishpost.co.uk/new-wave-of-labourers-earning-up-to-400-a-day/

Bye for now.

Tawnyowl.