Housing Benefit Overpayment CCJ - help set aside

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3153 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello everyone I am new here :!:

the time has come for me and my girlfriend to apply for a mortgage for our first home together.

We have a meeting booked with a mortgage broker next week,

and he asked us to get credit reports ready for the meeting,

my girlfriends came back fine,

but I've found a CCJ was issued on mine from 2011!

After a lot of phone calls I've found out that this CCJ, for £94,

was from an over-payment of housing benefit when I was unemployed for 2 weeks in 2010.

Wigan Council paid me for 4 weeks when I was only due 2 weeks.

Because I was in financial hardship at the time I ended up moving out of the council house I lived at

and moved in with my dad to get back on my feet.

This CCJ was issued way after I left that property and for such a small amount its infuriating it could hamper my plans to buy a house.

I've done some research and I want to attempt to get it set aside.

Wigan Council have been very unhelpful currently,

I sent them an email asking about what had happened 2 because up until this point I have been completely ignorant of this

- I've never had a problem getting credit (credit cards, DFS finance, phone contracts etc)

so I have, probably naively, never felt the need to check my credit report.

The rest of my report is immaculate, no late payments, no defaults etc.

Because it was so long ago, and I was 20 at the time, I don't have any paperwork from leaving,

proof I told Wigan Council I've left, even any paperwork from when I signed on for 2 weeks.

I'm hoping I can get this by sending an SAR to Wigan Council and them giving me the info, but god knows how long that takes.

From little bits I've read online my only possible defence I can fathom is the following:

• I did not reside at the property when the court papers were sent.
  • I did not recognise Wigan Council as a creditor as the over payment was in error.
  • If I legally owe the money, I have no issue paying it back.

And that's about it. I wasn't out of the country, my dog didn't eat it, I have no decent excuses just the truth which is I had no idea this was happening!

Do I have a leg to stand on?

I'm aware ignorance isn't a defence really

but without meaning to be dramatic I am scared this is going to ruin my chances of getting a mortgage for 18 months

until it disappears and all for a measly £94.

Any help or points in the right direction would be much appreciated!

P.S. sorry if this is in the wrong forum!

Since when do local authorities get CCJ for over payment of housing benefit??

If the CCJ was awarded in 2010 you only have 12 months left before it is removed from your credit files.

The best option will be to see it out in my opinion as very little can now be done. Only a judge can set aside the CCJ, After 5 years that will be like winning the lottery

Since when do local authorities get CCJ for over payment of housing benefit??

If the CCJ was awarded in 2010 you only have 12 months left before it is removed from your credit files.

The best option will be to see it out in my opinion as very little can now be done. Only a judge can set aside the CCJ, After 5 years that will be like winning the lottery

I agree. It wasn't even £94 there is some charges on there too, I think I owed them like £34!

2010 is when the "offence" happened... it was issued on 28 January 2011. Month after my birthday, they probably sent the court documents in a birthday card.

1st time I've heard of a council getting a CCJ..for a benefit overpayment

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

1st time I've heard of a council getting a CCJ..for a benefit overpayment

dx

That's part of my problem with it. I thought CCJs were for credit. I didn't realise housing benefit was a type of credit, so basically they pay you with the intention of you still being eligible for benefits for the whole month. Its just a bizarre situation and there is very little information online.

If I still want to pursue getting it set aside do you have any advice?

Thank you!

the £94 would include court costs.

I think you need to get a copy of the judgement first. Not sure this is what you think it is

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

the £94 would include court costs.

I think you need to get a copy of the judgement first. Not sure this is what you think it is

I can't find in black and white on the net specifically Wigan Councils process of recovering the overpayments but Rutland County Council state pretty clearly they will obtain a CCJ if you don't pay it back. (Google "ccj overpayment of housing benefit" I'm too new to post a link)

I got told by the court it was from Wigan Council over the phone, then I called Wigan Council and they told me it was for housing benefit over payment.

Thread moved to the appropriate forum

Regards

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I was overpaid housing benefit myself when i left mid month.

All you have to do is ask to pay the arrears off weekly.

I pay mine at £5.00 a week by standing order as i am on ESA.

All they want to see is a commitment to repay.

I don't have money issues, I can pay it all. It's just the CcJ that's upsetting me haha

Well sadly if they have indeed got a ccj, you are stuck with it.

You could apply for a set aside which will cost you in excess of £150, but you are unlikely to succeed unless you have a very good reason for not replying to the N1 claim form AND have a very good defence. Something I do not see form the facts already presented.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.