Help or advice needed

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3107 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Sorry of this is the wrong place to post.

I have just found out that my 14 year old has spent over £800 in the last 6 months on his X-Box!

It is of course Fifa 15. It is his own debit card,but,can EA sport take this amount of money from his account? He banks with Santander and I am the adult who set up his account with him. I would have thought Santander would have questioned his spend? I only found out when I opened one of his statements. Any help would be appreciated,Thanks

Oh my, that is an awful lot of money to spend. Is there no parental control on this thing to prevent him from spending like this ?

I will try and find someone who can help you.

PS, I have moved your thread to the correct forum - you need do nothing, it was purely and administrative move. :)

Edited by citizenB

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It looks as though you might not be able to do very much at all.

Is there money in your Son's account to cover any costs ?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4866661

and

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2171930/X-Box-Live-Boy-playing-Call-Duty-Fifa-ran-1-150-bill.html

Under the terms of the service, children have to be 13 to play but younger kids can do so 'with parental consent'.

A Microsoft spokesman said: 'Throughout the purchase of any digital product on the Xbox LIVE service there are multiple opportunities where consumers are asked to confirm their purchases.

The price is clearly displayed on the screen throughout this process, it should also be noted that Xbox LIVE accounts registered for children’s use have online activity automatically defaulted to off, and these can be enabled should the parents wish to in the family settings section.

'These settings include specifying the email address to which all purchase notifications are sent and using other features, such as “over the shoulder approval,” that allows the account holder to give permission for purchases by typing in the password. We remain committed to working with the customer to help them further and offer guidance on the many control settings we offer on Xbox LIVE.

'The online safety of our members remains of the utmost importance, which is why we consistently take measures to protect Xbox LIVE against ever-changing threats.

'As always, we highly recommend our members follow the Xbox LIVE Account Security guidance provided at http://www.xbox.com/security.'

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

It looks as though you might not be able to do very much at all.

Is there money in your Son's account to cover any costs ?

I thought that might be the case. I just thought the bank would have notified me of all these on line payments! No card linked to Xbox account now.

I thought that might be the case. I just thought the bank would have notified me of all these on line payments! No card linked to Xbox account now.

TBH, I really don't know if they would or should have let you know. I had my son in a different century thank heavens and all he had was a post office savings book and a few premium bonds.. No Debit card and no x box !

I would think that the bank might have told you had he spent more than was in the account and Microsoft wouldn't give a darn as long as they were being paid !

BCOBS

• 3 weeks later...

A debit card isn't really any different from the account holder withdrawing money over the counter. It's up to the account holder what they do with their own money. Any transaction which would cause the account to go overdrawn should be declined unless there's an agreed facility in place and there wouldn't/shouldn't be for a minor.

My 11 year old has a debit card.

which means she can use her bday money etc as she pleases however half is put in her savings account

no more can i get can i get it has actually helped her more to realise the costs and hardly spends anything now as she realized the costs of things.

but to smartgirls question the bank would be under no obligation to contact you cause it probs lookds like a normal trans action as i assuming its been over a longer period than 1 week.

maybe as above pleading to Microsoft better nature and get the parental control set up

Please contact a member of the site team if you are offered help off the forum for a a paid or no win no fee service.

Please consider making a small donation to help keep this site running

Click here to donate through PayPal (opens in a new window)