unclebulgaria67

Middle East Spring - what happened ?

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1413 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Not that long ago, when there were uprisings in many countries such as Egypt Libya and Syria, some politicians were getting carried away, saying it was a Middle East spring, with people wanting democracy and westernised freedoms. I can remember Cameron and Sarkozy making speeches in Tripoli, talking about how UK and France had helped the lion spirit of Libyans prevail over Gaddafi.

If the current state of affairs is part of this spring uprising, it worked out well didn't it ! This all starts with good intentions, but when you don't know who you are helping with regime change, it is a bit risky. Cameron asked parliament to sanction UK helping anti Assad forces and if this had gone ahead, we may have accidentally helped ISIS.

Obamas policy has been to use drones wherever possible and to not put US armed forces in harms way. This is down to the number of casualties incurred in Afghanistan and Iraq. I don't blame him for this, as i don't see why the US has to act as worlds Policeman. But the number of drone strikes may not be sensible, as it may just lead to terrorists spreading their bases, rather than be concentrated.

Personally i think Corbyn talks good sense in saying that military actions have not worked and the only way forward is to talk to the people willing to take part in peaceful settlements. The UN, Arab league and African nations must be the ones to be leading on this. The current position in Iraq, Libya, Syria and elsewhere in the Middle East and North Africa cannot continue for too much longer.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Easy

The Arab Autumn Has arrived and we know what comes next :D

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Take Egypt as an example, the military were decimated. Now who do you think supplied the new Government with shiny new tanks and Military equipment.??

Who also said we will not supply this equipment if you seek procurement from other sources just like in Iraq

Now where do you think all those munitions went to when the armories were looted in Libya???

Not forgetting it was our own foreign secretary Hague who advocated arming these rebels before they were known as ISIS.

Not forgetting Assad is now the Good Guy fighting for democracy, Yeah right

This mess is a direct result of the west, by that i mean the Yanks and Brits destabalising the whole region with millitary action that should have been taken by the Arab nations themselves

There is a lot of complaining about our part in the bombing of Libya, now there are just as many complaints about us not taking part in bombing Syria. Time to make up your minds, you can't have it both ways.

Dont agree with capquest that it is our fault, just look at the hand Russia has in all of the trouble in the muslim world. Doesnt mean we are blameless but we certainly didnt start it all.

You would think Russia , a super power getting its Butt kicked by Peasant farmers with home made AK47 like in Vietnam would send a message to the Yanks and Brits

Our humiliating withdrawal has made the radical Islamic faction think it is more invincible now than ever