Sound Bar and Subwoofer, or full 5.1 Home Cinema

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3116 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Seems my personal injury claim has now reached settlement so i thought i would treat myself.

I do not ask for much but i do like my movies on a big screen with a decent sound system. I cannot get about much so i am looking at home cinema. After having a Sony and Samsung home cinema system in the past which was naff, i am determined to buy separate speakers and a separate AV amp.

Looking on the richer sounds web site, Sound bars and a sub-woofer seem all the rage at the moment

My question is are they any good (Sound bar and Sub-woofer) compared to separates as stand alone units

I have a separate 7.1 system connected CQ (Sony) over 7 years old ...but still not heard anything better yet. The sound bars and woofer I have heard...(new ones are Bluetooth being the only plus)..the actual sound is very inferior.

Andy

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

That is what i thought, the sound bar aimed at the bargain basic consumer

The Sony and Samsung i had previous all came in the same box, amp, cable and speakers as a package (Big mistake) Dixon's/Curries specials

I suppose you deserve what you pay for. I will go with the separates this time .

It seems richer sounds will hook up the amp in their shops for you to listen to before you decide to purchase, now that is what i call customer service

5.1 will be ideal for me due to the size of the living room

Just make sure your BR player and/or TV has IR output and the sound system has the same input....far better quality than AV conections

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I am also using a sonos and being a bit off a surround sound freak can honestly say nothing beats them, the bass is amazing, the wireless signal is superb and the simple user app is ace. They are so good they catch everything and spilt it around a full system like nobodies business amazing if you consider there wireless. I still freak out when it shows a scene on the tv whether it be in a jungle or an office and it is like being there. Even the whoosh off a place cgoing overhead is mimicked so it sounds like it is in the room just the dog dewberries and trust me I have been though a few systems seeking that perfect sound.

The Sonos sound bars i have seen cost about £600, and the other speakers about £150.00 a piece so about £1200.00 all in

If i was going to get anything like that i would go with a Bose all in one system

As long as the amp i choose has Dolby true digital and DTS, i will be happy

I will probably get a Denon or Yamaha amp and Bose cube speakers, but i will listen to the amp first before i decide

• 2 weeks later...
Don't forget that placing a sound bar too close to the TV could cause bleed out in as much as it could leave coloured marks on your screen, (magnetic marks)

Most modern soundbars can still be placed directly under the TV as they should be screened against magnetic interference.

I quite like my Panasonic 5.1 3D BluRay system. It also has virtual cinema surround that really works. Gives the impression of 27 speakers. My neighbours aren't that keen though :lol:

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Most modern soundbars can still be placed directly under the TV as they should be screened against magnetic interference.

I quite like my Panasonic 5.1 3D BluRay system. It also has virtual cinema surround that really works. Gives the impression of 27 speakers. My neighbours aren't that keen though :lol:

Make and model please as this sounds like a nice system...

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

My mistake. 25 extra speakers

http://www.panasonic.com/sg/consumer/audio-video/home-theaters-systems/sc-btt400.html

It is the budget model and you could go for the better spec BTT500 but as my router is nearby, I hard wired it. Using the optical input is a must as it really does improve the sound quality when playing the TV sound through it. The best bit (for me) is the ability to stream content from my PC via my router to the unit.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Are optical cables not redundant now since HDMI??

Not in my opinion. HDMI cables are good but they are still copper and will always suffer some degradation. As my BluRay doesn't have an HDMI input (only an output) I wouldn't be able to use it anyway. Optical cables use light, not copper to carry the signal so much less quality loss.

If optical cable was redundant. Virgin Media and BT wouldn't be using it