One gas and electric meter for two different properties - Please help or offer advice!!!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3155 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

]Hi,

I live in a top floor flat with 2 other people, and there is a lower flat with 4. There is only one electric and gas meter between our two properties, and have been told that we have to set up an account with the other house to pay the bills.

The landlord has refused to split the meters into one for each house as it is not "economically viable".

I am worried that if the other people do not pay their share then our house will be liable to pay this. We were not told about this before signing our tenancy agreement and neither were the other house.

The lettings agents are unwilling to have the accounts in their name and for all of us to pay them directly.

What can we do? Is this legal or is there something that can be done, or do we have to deal with this? There is nothing in our contract about situations like this!

Can someone help?

Edited by jamant

Unfortunately this isn't an uncommon problem, particularly in older properties that have been converted in to flats.

Be very careful about what name is placed on the bill. A supplier will only be able to issue the one bill for the meter point, so it really is down to the landlord/residents of the property. Whoever is on the bill is liable usually.

In my experience, the best solution is for the account to be in the landlord's name, however they're usually reluctant as it ultimately makes them responsible for the debt.

The other option for the electricity I guess would be for the landlord to have a private electrician install coin meters, then empty it quarterly to pay the bill, although this would be a cost, it would definitely cost less than the installation of a whole new supply

I had this problem and it will end in heart ache

My brother in my old place moved into the next door flat. The building used to be a shop but converted into two flats. So we ended up with one metre for two flats which i put in my name.

The arguments started as soon as the bills come in. He said i am never there so i am only paying xyz etc. I ended up £200 out of pocket simply due to the account being in my name

Get the account put in the landlords name and he can sort it out or it will result in bad feelings