ESA & HB to JSA & HB (But now UC in my area)

essexmat
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3121 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I will try and be as brief as poss.

Currenty on ESA (assessment) and HB. Had my health assessment last week and I know I will be getting 0 points and I am not even working myself up over an appeal etc. I know I am back on JSA just waiting for the letter to drop and formal notification (they said it can take up to 8 weeks)

OK, so I now find out due to my circumstances I am in a UC area and payments will be made monthly - OK, I can handle that and in fact I sort of prefer it, but - a few points/questions below I would like some help with/clarification on if I may:

• When I get theletter from DWP do I close the claim (ESA) by phone and then do a claim straight away for UC (which includes JSA and housing does it not?)
  • Do I inform the council as that is who pays my HB or will DWP do this? I assume both my payments in total will come as one DWP payment?
  • If paid monthly I assume my JSA of £73.10pw or £10.44 per day is paid for each day in the mont i.e monthy payment in a 31 day month = £10.44 x 31 = £323.64
  • My housing benefit I get is £362.50pm as I share on a joint tenancy with parents at a full rent (2 bed property) of £725.00 so I get 50% and my Father gets 50% - we are all on a signed official agreement via private landlord and agent.
  • As my parents are disabled our whole council tax bill is around £120.00 per annum - dealt with via council so what provision do I make to continue paying this? Will I continue to do so via the council as normal?
  • I have heard horror stories about waiting 6 weeks for a UC claim to go through so presumably you get this backdated? This does not help with rent etc so is there a way I can get an advance? Luckily for me it is non-critical as my Father can tie me over for that period and I can pay it back to him when UC comes through but for others I imagine this is a terrible situation
  • Being on UC not 'JSA' and 'ESA' as such presumably I still get my dental care and prescriptions free of charge?

My main concern is not getting the same level of payment via JSA and HB which for me would be around £680.00pm and being penalised when I am already struggling to pay bills etc.

Any comments and help very much appreciated.

Many thanks

First of all the forms need to be filled out asap, bad news first, your first payment could take anything up to 6 weeks are you prepared for this? I have a stickie on UC please have a read and follow all the links this will help or have a look here see below...

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/404253/uc-your-claim-journey.pdf

Sometimes links get broken so see my attachment

Edited by mikeymack2002
Added a PDF
  • Haha 1

If I have been of any help, please click on my star and leave a note to let me know, thank you.

First of all the forms need to be filled out asap, bad news first, your first payment could take anything up to 6 weeks are you prepared for this? I have a stickie on UC please have a read and follow all the links this will help or have a look here see below...

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/404253/uc-your-claim-journey.pdf

Sometimes links get broken so see my attachment

Thanks - will take a look - many thanks!

When I get the letter from DWP do I close the claim (ESA) by phone and then do a claim straight away for UC (which includes JSA and housing does it not?)

Yes

Do I inform the council as that is who pays my HB or will DWP do this? I assume both my payments in total will come as one DWP payment?

DWP will normally tell Council, but you would be advised to tell them as well, as you will need to update your CTR award and probably need to provide proof of UC when awarded

If paid monthly I assume my JSA of £73.10pw or £10.44 per day is paid for each day in the mont i.e monthy payment in a 31 day month = £10.44 x 31 = £323.64

standard allowance for over 25s is £317.82 per calendar month (does not matter how many days in month)

My housing benefit I get is £362.50pm as I share on a joint tenancy with parents at a full rent (2 bed property) of £725.00 so I get 50% and my Father gets 50% - we are all on a signed official agreement via private landlord and agent.

housing costs element will probably stay the same

As my parents are disabled our whole council tax bill is around £120.00 per annum - dealt with via council so what provision do I make to continue paying this? Will I continue to do so via the council as normal?

each council has individual CTR schemes - so you will need to notify them of your change to UC - but hard to tell what impact it would have

I have heard horror stories about waiting 6 weeks for a UC claim to go through so presumably you get this backdated? This does not help with rent etc so is there a way I can get an advance? Luckily for me it is non-critical as my Father can tie me over for that period and I can pay it back to him when UC comes through but for others I imagine this is a terrible situation

UC is paid a month in arrears - just be careful in case they attempt to apply 7 waiting days at start of claim - as you should be exempt if you going straight from HB to UC

Being on UC not 'JSA' and 'ESA' as such presumably I still get my dental care and prescriptions free of charge?

you would be entitled to help with health costs until 31 october 2015 - it is then due to be reviewed

If you have found my post useful, please click on the star at the bottom of my post and add some reputation points.

If you get the letter saying you haven't scored enough points, the DWP will already have closed your ESA claim, so you can claim UC immediately - yes for income income and housing.

Yes, inform the council your esa claim has ended and you have claimed UC and make a nil income declaration while the UC is being assessed.

The basic allowance for over 25's is 317.82 a month. roughly 73.10 x 52 / 12

Council tax reduction is is applied for to the council, and payment arrangements would be the same.

What do you mean by UC being backdated? It's paid in arrears so your first payment will be for a month - those are not horror stories, it's how UC is paid. Yes you can apply for a benefit advance if you need to. Yes you still get health costs as part of UC for now.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I've read back through all your posts EssexMat, and my opinion is you've had a good run on ESA while going about your daily business, so maybe now's the time to suck it up and admit defeat that you actually need get a paying job?

Anxiety & Depression can be a crushing life-limiting illness, but by your own admission you are going out to meet friends for coffee and helping people by volunteering at a community centre. More power to you! But the time comes when you have to stop relying on the government to validate your lifestyle choices and step up to make your own money.

I'm sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, but reading back through your many posts, you always seem to be looking for a way to continue your life at tax-payers' expense rather than getting a job that may be "beneath my ability". Wake up call time? Zero points scored because....?

Hope you take this post in the spirit it's given and take a long look at yourself....

Either way, best wishes, with the skill you've been playing the system I'm sure there must be a job out there for you if you got over yourself....

I've read back through all your posts EssexMat, and my opinion is you've had a good run on ESA while going about your daily business, so maybe now's the time to suck it up and admit defeat that you actually need get a paying job?

Anxiety & Depression can be a crushing life-limiting illness, but by your own admission you are going out to meet friends for coffee and helping people by volunteering at a community centre. More power to you! But the time comes when you have to stop relying on the government to validate your lifestyle choices and step up to make your own money.

I'm sorry if that sounds a bit harsh, but reading back through your many posts, you always seem to be looking for a way to continue your life at tax-payers' expense rather than getting a job that may be "beneath my ability". Wake up call time? Zero points scored because....?

Hope you take this post in the spirit it's given and take a long look at yourself....

Either way, best wishes, with the skill you've been playing the system I'm sure there must be a job out there for you if you got over yourself....

Playing the system? You DO NOT know me or my circumstances so who are you to judge? I have worked since the age of 13 (I am now 41) and only the last 2 years have I claimed benefits after paying full NI and TAX since I was 16. I have A&D, a severe back problem, urological problems, under a counsellor for CBT. I may be 'fot for work' but my conditions do not allow me to do ANY job. Sorry, your post is not taken lightly, you are a troll that is best ignored from now on.

Playing the system? You DO NOT know me or my circumstances so who are you to judge? I have worked since the age of 13 (I am now 41) and only the last 2 years have I claimed benefits after paying full NI and TAX since I was 16. I have A&D, a severe back problem, urological problems, under a counsellor for CBT. I may be 'fot for work' but my conditions do not allow me to do ANY job. Sorry, your post is not taken lightly, you are a troll that is best ignored from now on.

Yes indeed sorry about that essexmat, that is not what this site is about.

Good info MM.

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES TO COLD CALLERS PROMISING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS

DO NOT PAY UPFRONT FEES FOR COSTLY TELEPHONE CONSULTATIONS WITH SO CALLED "EXPERTS" THEY INVARIABLY ARE NOTHING OF THE SORT

BEWARE OF QUICK FIX DEBT SOLUTIONS, IF IT LOOKS LIKE IT IS TO GOOD TO BE TRUE IT INVARIABLY IS

Just had a call from DWP "a decision maker would like to speak to you tomorrow between 9am and 2pm regarding your ESA"

Standard call to tell me to sod off to Universal Credit or should I be worried about anything? Whenever DWP call or a brown envelope is in my letterbox I panic.

Many thanks

I would be astounded if I got 1 point let alone 15 so I will eat my hat if I maintain ESA. Probably letting me know decision pre-letter to tell me what I need to do

Will keep you all informed as soon as I know

Just had the call, as expected, ZERO - decision letter in post. Luckily I was expecting it so no shock. Got transferred to JSA so luckily no UC claim and payments won't be affected so back to JCP on Thursday for my appointment and then I guess 6 months of INGEUS (balance from Feb-14)

Not working myself up about it, I expected it, just calling council to explain now.

[...] and then I guess 6 months of INGEUS (balance from Feb-14)

Your Work Programme sentence started from your first appointment. The time you have spent on ESA, even if it was the assessment phase, counts towards your 104 weeks. The end date remains the same, so Ingeus can not inflict misery upon you beyond that point.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Your Work Programme sentence started from your first appointment. The time you have spent on ESA, even if it was the assessment phase, counts towards your 104 weeks. The end date remains the same, so Ingeus can not inflict misery upon you beyond that point.

That is SOMETHING I guess - started Feb-14 so just under 6 months pain - manageable if not needed (I think!)

UPDATE - 10/09/2015

OK, and breathe ...

Went to JCP today with my ID etc and actually saw a human who was really nice and compassionate and talked me through the ESA>JSA transition. The once saving grace is I am not being bunged on to UC so can keep my HB and council tax relief claim open (spoken to council and all sorted)

Done my claimant committment and we actually agreed it between us rather than me being dictated to so all my conditions and inability to do heavy work etc are on the 'contract' - I was happy enough to sign given it was mutually agreed.

Now that bad news - I am back at INGEUS (from 17/09) but at least I only have 5 months of my sentence left - let's see what 'advisor' I get this time, hopefully not the idiot I had last time although I don't think any of themcan actually help (that is for another thread though)

What I DID get annoyed about was when I arrived with my Father a gorilla security guard said "claimants only upstairs" to which I replied "I am allowed to be accompanied especially as I have been ill" ... I then pulled out the guidance and shut him up there and then so 1-0 on that front, gave me a slight smug feeling but not that important.

Now, I need some help understanding payments .....

• JSA rate is the same as my ESA claim (assessment)
  • I was normally paid on a Tuesday to go in to my account on a Thursday
  • My ESA payment (next one) was due 17/09 but as my claim was closed by DWP on 08/09 I will only be paid 8-15 Sept so £73.10 meaning in the interim I am losing out on a weeks payments? Is that right?
  • My JSA claim started 08/09 and I first sign on again 17/09 so will I then be paid for 8-16 (1 week ) on 22(ish)?
  • I then presume as I sign fortnightly on a Thursday with 17/09 being first then again on 01/10 I am paid fortnightly £146.20?

I have bills to pay and want to know if I (a) lose money or (b) get what I am owed but just delayed? I will need to make provision for not having money as in "Hi Dad, you know I am short this month...." and then pay him back!

Thanks all

No, you shouldn't lose money if the esa was closed one day and jsa opened the next - you'll get last payment from esa (if your last payment prior to claim closure was 3rd sep then you'll get 4th- last day of claim which will be four days if your claim closes on 7th Sep) and three working days after your first signing you should then get payment from 1st day of jsa claim (8th sep) to 17th Sep which is 10 days.

That makes sense!

Yes, my last full ESA payment was £146.20 on 03/09 and claim was shut on 08/08 so 04/08-08/08 = ESA payment on 17/09 I guess and then my JSA claim opened same day (or at worse 09/09) so when I sign on 17/09 I should get payment on around 22/09 for the 'owing period'

When I spoke to DWP they said it CAN take 14-21 days for claims to be processed, now I know DWP won't 'con me' out of money as they said whatever is owing is backdated but if I wait weeks for any money I could be relying too heavily on my Father.

UPDATE: 11/09/2015

OK, need some help here:

Just been on to my on line account and ESA have paid me £41.78 which I presume is what was owing from my last payment (full amount of £146.20) up to the date the claim was closed on 08/09 (4-5 days so makes sense)

So, I was expecting my next ESA payment on 17/09 for £146.20 but obviously I do not get this now so effectively I am £100 odd down.

I sign on JSA on 17/09 so what payment will I get? I presume it will be the period of 08/09 to the sign on date which is around the £100? to be paid around 22/09? I then guess my JSA reverts back to normal when I next sign on 01/10 for my £146.20 payment on 06/10?

Very confused but THINK I understand. I am not actually losing money but being made to wait for it so effectively need to find £100 to tide me over around a week or so?

Thanks!

Just got my ESA65 in the post. As expected, ZERO points. Love the way what you say on the day is manipulated though. Some of the wording on the report is simply disgusting lies, however, I won't be appealing as I am nowhere near 15 points anyway.

Filed away - all over, back to JSA I go!

Yes, you've got your esa payment (what you were due till end of claim) early, and then your JSA payment should be 3 working days after you sign, providing your jsa claim is live at that point. Then every two weeks on the same day, after you've signed. So you need to find money to tide you over for 5 days - I guess you wouldn't need the full £100 for 5 days though.

The DWP don't arf like wasting paper and postage don't they?!

This morning THREE brown envelopes, one tellingme my ESA has stopped, another telling me about my tax on ESA and another with my P45. Do they not communicate as it all could have gone in one envelope?

Anyone else get a cold shiver when a brown envelope arrives? As my Father says, "one envelope can change your life in a few seconds"

The DWP don't arf like wasting paper and postage don't they?!

This morning THREE brown envelopes, [...]. Do they not communicate as it all could have gone in one envelope?

The DWP and other large organistations use a central printing system. This is highly automated from printing, envelope stuffing, and post code sorted. To collate letters from three different departments would increase labour costs as well as the scope for errors. In addition, the likes of the DWP get heavily discounted postage rates (typically in the order of 25p per letter).

On the plus side, sending multiple envelopes where one would have done goes some way to keeping mail volumes up. This helps to keep your local postie in a job as well as guaranteeing that every house in the UK can get post delivered six days a week.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

The DWP and other large organistations use a central printing system. This is highly automated from printing, envelope stuffing, and post code sorted. To collate letters from three different departments would increase labour costs as well as the scope for errors. In addition, the likes of the DWP get heavily discounted postage rates (typically in the order of 25p per letter).

On the plus side, sending multiple envelopes where one would have done goes some way to keeping mail volumes up. This helps to keep your local postie in a job as well as guaranteeing that every house in the UK can get post delivered six days a week.

This is it, exactly. Many of these letters aren't actually sent by a person, as such. Entering certain things into the computer systems automatically triggers them. Even after working there, I still have no idea where they are physically produced and sent from, but there's no scope at all to coordinate with other processors to make sure there are no duplicates.

So yeah, just think of it as the DWP supporting the Royal Mail. It's philanthropy, really :lol:

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.