• Tweets

• No I have not. I will probably do that
    • Based on ECP's previous, what will definitely happen is this. They will send more idiotic letters. After they will send a Letter of Claim, and it is essential that your brother replies at this point to this to show them he would be big trouble in court. Next it is highly likely (but not certain) that they will crawl back under their stone and that will be the end of the matter. The slight worry is that if they do do court it will seem a likely story to a judge that your brother has no connection to the ticket, when it was him who appealed and replied to the Letter of Claim.  Indeed I think it would seem the lot of you were playing games with ECP and with the court by getting unconnected people involved and then later deny they were involved. So be aware there is that slight risk. You talked about "a mess" in your first post, and you weren't wrong. Someone hires a car and gets a ticket.  There is an appeal.  Who appeals, the hirer?  No, the hirer's mate's son.  Obvious! There is an approach for help to a consumer website.  By the hirer?  No, by the hirer's mate's son's brother! This is so damn silly and totally avoidable. Anyway, it seems the decision has been made for your brother to carry the can so whatever consequences will ensue will ensue. 
    • Doc 04-19-2024 11-01-51-merged-compressed.pdf good morning.    9 pages attached.    thank you  UCM
    • Hi I was being supplied my ovo after unknowingly being swapped from SSE.  My issues began when we had a smart meter fitted and our bills almost doubled overnight - we at the time assumed we were just paying not enough until then and just continued to pay the excess bills each. Month.    I would from time to time contact ovo and get faced with a call centre on South Africa of the most rude agents who would just hang up after hours of wait and I could not even get an acknowledgement of an issue with my meter.  At one point we were not in the property for like 4 months and the bills were coming just as high!  It was at this point I was sure something is not right and ovo only care to send bailiffs and started threatening us with a pay as you go meter despite me taking out a 3.5k loan to pay of my outstanding balance.  Around 1600 each on both gas and electricity.  This is where its gets really bad -  the very same day they sent me out a new bill saying the money paid already was only to cover up until the November previous and because its now Feb we owe another 1k.   By that August this had risen to over 3k and I still couldn't get anyone to even acknowledge a fault let alone fix it.    In despair I tried to swap suppliers and to my surprise octopus accepted us because even tho the debt is owed we are trying deal with.  During our time with them the bill was coming only on my wife's name as I was responsible for other bills and she this one - now that we owe them 3k they have magically started adding my name as well as my wife's to the same debt to apply double pressure and its showing on my experiwn report now with a question mark and 2700 showing in grey -  This was my wife's debt which we dispute we owe yet the have now sent me letter with both our names on from oriel and past due credit debt agencies - is this illegal and how can I get them to take my. Name of this and leave on wife's name as its so unfair they give us a both a defualt for wife's debt which we dispute anyway.    In the end about 3 weeks ago I wrote an email to their ceo and rishi sunak and low and behold for the first time in our history with ovo someone who spoke English contacted us and said she will look into our claim.    I explained to her that we feel our meter is faulty and despite me contacting them using WhatsApp email and phone I still have not got anyone to acknowledge a fault even. And that I dispute I Owe anything as my son was in hospital for 3 months and we stayed with him so house was empty and still. They were sending us super sized bills more than when we started at home.  She promised to investigate and a few days later replied that she is sorry for the poor customer service and offered us £50 compensation - however she also. Mentioned that she's attached statements for us confirming the payment for 3k I made was only up until Nov and in Feb despite me pay 3.5k nearly it's correct for them to bill. Me. Another £900 the very same day and she did not agree our meter was faulty and therfore the debt stands and she will not be calling it bcak from past due credit.  During my time with my new supplier post ovo, octopus I requested tehy check my. Meters because I felt they were faulty and over charging me and I got excellent response asking me for further details which I supplied and I got a. Response bcak within days to say my meter was indeed faulty and octopus have now remotely repaired it.   I then contacted the energy ombudsman and explained my situation how she at ovo tried to fob me off and demand I apy money we don't feel we owe due to faulty equipment we reported but ovo had to process or mechanism to deal with it or lodge complaint even without having to cc their ceo and our pm. And now I feel sick to think both husband and wife will get a 6  year default for debt which have a validity of a questionable nature.    I explained all this to the energy ombudsman and they accepted my case and I explained to them that my new supplier found my fault which ovo refueed to accept - I've uploaded the email from new supplier to ombudsman showing we had a fault.    My. Question is is there anything I can upload in defence of my case to ombudsman before they decide outcome ina few weeks    All advice greatly appreciated not only would I like advice on how to clear this debt but also how I can pursue ovo for compensation and deterrence for the future.  Thansk 
    • Thanks for the reply dubai 50 - if the statute is 10 years it has long passed - if it is 15 years i havea few months left. i shall ignore until it gets serious  An update - - I sent the letter to the bank in Dubai ( I did get delivery confirmation from Royal Mail)   - I have moved to a new address ( this is the address i gave to the bank in dubai)  - IDR are continuing to send Letters to the old address, which leads me to believe they are not in contact with the bank at all. - i have not replied to any correspondence digital or hard as they are non threatening ( as of yet).        
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mortgage declined due to default placed by Halifax for £38! -** Satisfactorily Resolved**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3147 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi All,

I am in dire need of assistance! I have recently been applying for a Mortgage which has been declined last week due to a default being placed onto our credit files (Me & my wife) by Halifax for an old basic current account which we have not used since 2009. A brief timeline of the events so far....

17/07/2015 - Applied for mortgage via broker, lender credit checked and issued DIP the same day.

31/07/2015 - Unknown to us until yesterday a new entry for "Halifax" added to both my Wife's and my credit files.

17/08/2015 - Formal mortgage application sent to lender. Lender conducts another credit check and obviously discovers that a default has been added on since the initial credit check they carried out in order to issue the DIP.

We had already chosen the property, had the offer accepted etc. The solicitor has ordered the searches as well so we could be considerably out of pocket.

I have not had an adverse mark placed on my credit file in over 4 years so to have a default placed 2 weeks before a formal mortgage application is just about the worst thing that could possibly happen timing wise!! What is even worse is that the default is for £39!!

The entry on our credit files is as follows:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]59110[/ATTACH]

As above this account has not been used at all since 2009, we have zero communications from Halifax no statements, letters nothing whatsoever.

I managed to find some old paperwork with the account number on it so called into a branch today to en quire as to what had happened to cause a default to be placed suddenly after so many years of inactivity. The chap I spoke to in branch trawled his computer to find the last transaction and issued me with a mini statement which reads as follows.....

Sheet: 1 Of 1

Date Issued: 13/02/2010

Date Activity Paid Out Paid In Balance

13Feb10 0.00

13Feb10 CHG ACCOUNT CHARGE 15.00 0.00 15.00 DR

TOTAL PAYMENTS/RECEIPTS: 15.00

So as you can see the balance on the account was zero, then for some unknown reason Halifax applied a charge of 15.00. Presumably this has been incurring interest for the past 5 and a bit years hence the default of £39.00. There are no other transactions recorded for this account after Feb 2010.

I appreciate the correct approach to this would be a SAR etc.. however as explained above I have just had my mortgage declined. Our existing tenancy agreement terminates in October with no change to renew. And I dare say we will struggle passing the stringent credit checks carried out in the current rental market. So I need to fix this problem as quickly as possible, we also have an appeal in progress with the lender which I am pretty sure will not succeed whilst these marks remain on our file.

In summary Halifax have put us into a dire position by registering defaults based solely on a single bank charge some 5 and a bit years down the line!! Without any notification whatsoever.

Obviously I need to send a letter asap but my head is a shed at the moment and would appreciate someone giving me some starting points..

Many thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

For £38.00 ?

I think an urgent complaint to Halifax Head/Registered office needs to be sent. You want an explanation of why this charge was applied in the first place and why so long before they have placed a default on your file.

I doubt this will help you in the short term with your current application :(

Will flag for others on the site team for their input as well.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thank you,

I am so stressed out at the moment to say Halifax have thrown a spanner in the works is an understatement!

I am completely puzzled as to why Halifax have entered a date of default as being 21/07/15

when the last transaction as proven by the statement obtained in branch today took place in Feb 2010!

I have a feeling Halifax are having a clear out and selling old debts to a DCA which is why this entry has suddenly appeared.

Just to confirm this is a brand new entry I had no entries relating to Halifax prior to this default being placed.

default is 21/7/2015 I wonder if is them defaulting the account before selling the debt on?

I cant see why a pleading email to the CEO dept wont work.

its unusual for a mortgage to be declined on one default?

they are typically allowing one now.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

we came to the same conclusions.

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

default is 21/7/2015 I wonder if is them defaulting the account before selling the debt on?

I cant see why a pleading email to the CEO dept wont work.

its unusual for a mortgage to be declined on one default?

they are typically allowing one now.

dx

The lender will consider all defaults registered over 3 years ago, default within the last 12 months is an instant no go.

These Halifax defaults were placed a mere 2 weeks before the lender carried out a 2nd credit check as part of the formal application

underwriting process so obviously it looks about as bad is it can get from the lenders perspective,

which I fully understand and I too would be extremely concerned loaning money to a person who 2 weeks prior to asking had a default registered.

Some help for you;

Drop them an email. This is awful!

A Default for such a small amount.

Just be aware that Most of Lloyds Departments are one and the same, but the MD Departments are different ones, they have access to both sides of the bank.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

You could also make a claim against them for this! Well potentially... As it has cost you a mortgage...

ESPECIALLY if the Default was placed incorrectly.

I believe that Halifax will be reasonable with this so hopefully it wont derail your dreams of a Mortgage... :)

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

I'd show the lender the info and plead your case too.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Hi All,

Many thanks for the replies so far,

I am inclined as suggested to drop an urgent email/letter to Halifax senior management

and hope that they see sense and remove the marks immediately.

As I see it whether or not the bank charge applied to our account back in 2010 was fair or not is a separate argument.

What I believe is undisputable is the fact that the account went into an unauthorised overdraft solely because of this charge in Feb 2010

no payments were made to service the account from 2010 onwards

my understanding according to the ICO guidance is that our account should have been marked as a default absolutely no later than July/August 2010.

Placing a default more than 5 years after it should have been placed

and also stating on it that the default occurred in July 2015 is completely unacceptable

and that will be my primary complaint.

Regards

that sounds the right way to go. Please do keep your thread updated with any outcome :)

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

There are lenders that will consider a default that has been issued within the last 2 years. Your broker should have access to these deals. Rates may not be as good as high st but not as bad as you think.

Hi All,

Received a letter from the executive complaints team yesterday. And the news is good!!

As expected Halifax did not agree with most of my points but have agreed to remove the entries in the next few days

and have offered £100 in compensation.

Although I have got the result I wanted, there are a few dubious explanations given in the letter.

For example and I quote...

"As an aside I would mention that the timescales you have referred to in respect of the default dates

do not apply here as this was a current account without any contractual payments to be behind on, unlike a loan"

essentially Halifax claim that the ICO's guidance on placing defaults goes out of the window when it comes to current accounts!!

I have read the guidance notes and there is a particular section regarding current accounts

but I can personally see no mention that you can be ignorant of the leading principles

contained within the guidance on the basis that it is a current account.

Interested to hear your thoughts on the above.

Im so happy for you! :)

Glad I could help. Click the star below and give me some Rep :p

Just messing, your choice. Im glad that Halifax saw sense. Its unproductive doing that to you.

The ICOs rules are a gray area. Current Accounts are still subject to the same rules as loans etc. The information is added all the same to your CRA...

• Confused 1

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Im so happy for you! :)

Glad I could help. Click the star below and give me some Rep :p

Just messing, your choice. Im glad that Halifax saw sense. Its unproductive doing that to you.

The ICOs rules are a gray area. Current Accounts are still subject to the same rules as loans etc. The information is added all the same to your CRA...

Thanks I am in a good mood so rep given :)... I think in my response back to Halifax I am going to ask for further clarification on this point... namely highlight the line within the guidance notes which say the leading principles do not apply in the case of current accounts!

Woah there. dont accept the 100 compensation. You were declined a mortage for their failings and errors. You could be entitled to 1000 or more. The 100 is because they hope you dont know your rights.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Woah there. dont accept the 100 compensation. You were declined a mortage for their failings and errors. You could be entitled to 1000 or more. The 100 is because they hope you dont know your rights.

Its up to you whether you want to go further. I would say just leave it. You only wanted to get the default removed right?

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

After the decline my broker got on the phone to the business development manager, and from what I understand to be a rather lengthy conversation the lender has agreed to reassess the case :) so we are not out of the woods yet but not flat on our faces as we were a few days ago either.

It was explicitly mentioned within my letter to Halifax that our mortgage had been declined and that we were seeking to appeal it with the lender. I made it clear that any compensation claim would follow and be determined based upon the success or failure of that appeal. I stated that if the lender still determines after appeal that they are unable to provide the mortgage and it can be demonstrated that it was solely due to Halifax's default placement then the compensation claim would likely be substantial.

I won't be issuing a full response / acceptance of compensation until I know where I am with the mortgage lender.

Its up to you whether you want to go further. I would say just leave it. You only wanted to get the default removed right?

Yes that was the primary goal and it has been achieved. But obviously if my mortgage is still declined after appeal and it is solely due to what Halifax has done, then I will be taking the matter further as I would be considerably out of pocket if this house sale falls through.

Just hit the report button under any of your posts and ask for Site team to amend your thread title for you.

Report post = Black triangle withwhite ! mark, under posts :)

I agree with fkofilee - let us know after you know what is going on with the mortgage application :)

BCOBS