Renewal of Insurance - They want copies of Driving Licences!!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3156 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I have just renewed my car insurance and the provider is requesting copies of both mine and my partners driving licences!!

Is this law? can I refuse? Im not hiding anything, I just dont like it when businesses start making my life more difficult with all this crap. Now I have to dig out these items, photo copy them and post them. Why dont they just deal with this direct with DVLA instead of making it my problem!!

Anyway, can I just say No.

Ta

Nothing to do with the law, but is in the T&Cs of the policies for a number of insurers. They need to know that when you declare that you have a clean licence that this is true and that you aren't telling fibs.

They cannot get the information from the DVLA due to the DPA, but they can make it a requirement that you prove eligibility for the premium that you have been quoted.

You can say no, but they can then void the policy and charge you for any time spent on cover - and almost certainly a cancellation fee as well!

Any advice given is done so on the assumption that recipients will also take professional advice where appropriate.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

DONATE HERE

If I have been helpful in any way - please feel free to click on the STAR to the left!

A number of Insurers now do this. So if you change insurers in the future, you may have this again.

Would have thought with the DVLA online licence check system, they could find a way for Insurers to access information with policyholders consent.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The DPA angle is not true. My employer can check my license online at any time, to check for new points/offences and not rely on me fessing up about them.

I had to sign a DVLA mandate to allow this but the insurer can do the same.

The information isn't used for disciplinary action, unless it involves a totting up disqualification or ban, but can be used to provide 'corrective' training.