• Tweets

• https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/406231-the-pre-action-protocol-for-debt-claims-is-made-by-the-master-of-the-rolls-as-head-of-civil-justice-1st-oct-2017/#comment-5145126  
    • Quick update. I've now recieved a letter before action from them with a PAP form to return enclosed, still no credit agreement however. I assume just a case of following the PAP thread and returning form with no CCA as the reason?
    • Thanks for coming back and letting us know. Obviously we totally disagree with their decision.  Their remortgaging could only have gone wrong if they had ended up with a CCJ.  And how do you get a CCJ?  If you lose in court and then defy the court and don't pay.  Even if you lose in court, you don't get a CCJ as long as you pay within the 30 days ordered by the court.  Even had they lost in court the judge would have disallowed the interest and the £70 Unicorn Food Tax that PE made up.  There was no advantage whatsoever for giving in and paying now. But thanks to you for letting us know - a hell of a lot of users don't.
    • Hi everyone.   Before I say anything, TFL finally responded to the email I sent last week:   Thank you for your email, we acknowledge the signed documents you have returned in preparation for your hearing.   We note that this matter is causing you some stress and anxiety, however this is not a reason for TfL to discontinue proceedings. It is not unusual for passengers that have been summonsed to court to experience these symptoms, and we do have some empathy with your concerns.   However, as previously stated, TfL do not accept out of court settlements, and you will have the opportunity at your hearing, to provide your mitigation to the court prior to a decision being reached by them on how they intend to deal with this matter (usually a fine).   I am sorry that this decision is not more favourable.   Yours sincerely   James Vallis     At least he sounds more sympathetic in this email…   Only one week to go until the court hearing and I am so so nervous. I’ve prepared some questions and answers in preparation for what to say to the magistrate. It will help calm me down if I know roughly what to expect. If you could give feedback on it that would be great. If you have anything to add please do let me know.   As far as I know the court hearing will happen in these stages: Introduction and statement of facts Pleading guilty for the journeys I made with my mother’s card Penalty sentencing Appeal (if charged with a criminal record)   Am I guilty? Yes.   Why did I not pay the fare legally? Last year there was a lot going on in my life and I was struggling financially so to relieve some of this I used my mother’s Oyster card. I know it’s not an excuse and it’s still wrong.   Why do I not accept a criminal record? I really don’t want it to affect my chances of finding a job in the future. I will be the one earning money in my family so I am doing my best and studying hard to be able to get a good job. A criminal record would mean that regardless of how hard I’m working I won’t get the job I want after I graduate. This fills me with so much regret, sadness and disappointment in myself. I just want to be a good daughter for my mother because she’s already had to deal with many hardships in her life and I don’t want to make it any harder for her.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

DWP data on deaths of ESA claimants

reallymadwoman
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3153 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

From the article, quote from a DWP spokesperson:

The DWP defended the accuracy of the WCA. It said: “Any causal effect between benefits and mortality cannot be assumed from these statistics. Additionally, these isolated figures provide limited scope for analysis and nothing can be gained from this publication that would allow the reader to form any judgment as to the effects or impacts of the work capability assessment.”

It added: “DWP does not hold information on the reason for death, therefore no causal effect between the WCA decision and the number of people who died within a year of that decision should be assumed from these figures.”

Right, but that misses the point as far as I'm concerned. It's not so much that the WCA is directly causing deaths, although that's obviously possible. The point is that if a person dies shortly after their WCA finds them fit for work, it would seem that the either the WCA decision was seriously in error, or the WCA assessment criteria are flawed. Or both, of course..

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Another article with slightly different numbers

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/08/27/benefits-death-claimants-welfare-ids_n_8047424.html

And I agree, no one has actually suggested that the WCA itself kills people (though there's plenty of evidence that the stress caused by the system certainly contributes to ill-health). Unless some random act of God or bizarre accident is killing all those people, then one can only surmise that it was some illness that killed them and it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that they had that illness at the time they were found fit for work and were therefore not actually fit for work.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

Oh somehow I doubt it. We're too bloody apathetic in this country, especially when it's anything to do with the sick and disabled.

A simple case of "If it doesn't effect me directly I don't give a toss'. :(

The vast majority, and once upon a time I might well have been one of them, assume that it simply won't happen to them. If they've paid into the system for 30 years then they expect it to pay out when they need it without any problem and are generally horrified when it doesn't, but of course by then it's too late.

I recently interrupted my sister mid-rant (not the wisest thing to do in general) by pointing out that I'm one of the benefit scroungers she was ranting about. Her response was 'but you're genuinely disabled and you worked all your life until you got injured'. Mine was 'so are the majority of the rest of ESA claimants'.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

And the more I've thought about this the more angry I've become. We knew that people found fit for work were dying but it's taken untold effort to make the DWP admit it, then when they do they're just trying to brush it off as an unfortunate coincidence. Well I for one am not buying this - I simply don't believe that 80 people a month coincidentally and unexpectedly die having recently been found fit for work. Try suggesting to anyone in the medical profession that such a large percentage of a relatively small, already sick/disabled group would die within such a short time of an unrelated conditon - they simply wouldn't believe it either.

RMW

Of course, if the DWP held the information on the cause of death, which would be on the certificate they have to see, they would be able to work out if it was coincidence or not......

HB

I suspect cases must have been looked into. Coroners reports must have addressed the issue.

IDS and government are being careful, as there is a very slim possibility of corporate manslaughter charges against anyone who can be identified as having responsibility for someones death. If IDS was aware of issues and did not address them, he could be personally held responsible and i am not sure there is any ministerial exclusion against criminal charges being brought. But very unlikely that anyone from CPS would even consider this and it would be a very expensive private prosecution.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I find it somewhat disturbing that this story features in 2 out of the 3 'trending' headlines on Facebook but gets not a single mention on the BBC news website, or not that I've been able to find anyway. Do the BBC not consider this to be a newsworthy item?

RMW

No ...unlike One Direction which are taking a temporary split for 12 months:wink:

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

I find it somewhat disturbing that this story features in 2 out of the 3 'trending' headlines on Facebook but gets not a single mention on the BBC news website, or not that I've been able to find anyway. Do the BBC not consider this to be a newsworthy item?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34074557

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Bet it didn't make TV headline news though unlike the above:-)

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Mr Irritable Diarrhoea Smith should have taken the lead in this matter and ordered a full review of how these poor people died. He has all the traits of a person with Aspergers (NO disrespect to Aspergers sufferers) in that he believes everything he does is right and will not take criticism in any shape or form nor apologise for his failings.

I wonder what he knows about his betters that lead him to being able to stay in his job? Watch this space in the future when new names are let out for peerages.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Mr Irritable Diarrhoea Smith should have taken the lead in this matter and ordered a full review of how these poor people died. He has all the traits of a person with Aspergers (NO disrespect to Aspergers sufferers) in that he believes everything he does is right and will not take criticism in any shape or form nor apologise for his failings.

I wonder what he knows about his betters that lead him to being able to stay in his job? Watch this space in the future when new names are let out for peerages.

I have long thought that IDS may have issues. Some of his reactions when questionned about this would be of concern, if they were exhibited by someone with a mental health condition. A new Labour raised this general issue in parliament and IDS went mad, leading to her complaining to the Speaker.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

I have long thought that IDS may have issues. Some of his reactions when questionned about this would be of concern, if they were exhibited by someone with a mental health condition. A new Labour raised this general issue in parliament and IDS went mad, leading to her complaining to the Speaker.

I used to be a telephone helper for my local dyslexia association and I have some experience of Aspergers. Aspergers is a form of Autism and some of the sufferers do not take kindly to change, especially when it is sudden. I have seen tantrums in some where plans have been changed at short notice.(adults as well as children) IDS exhibits some of these traits (but not all) Each sufferer is different.

It's a bit like one of us sticking fingers in our ears and going lah lah lah in the hope the problem goes away.

Thanks for the BBC link, though the coverage is rather tame in comparison to other reports. I found it easier to find BBC coverage of Lisa Kudrow singing 'Smelly Cat' with Taylor Swift!

RMW

It was the lead story on (BBC) Radio 5 Live this morning - and was going to be the subject of their hour long phone in - hardly treating it as unewsworthy?

Agreed. His reaction to the question was bizarre, even by politician standards. His answer was to start yelling about how Labour introduced the WCA, which is true but completely irrelevant. After all, he's the one in power now - if he thought the WCA was so terrible, why not use that power to change things?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Agreed. His reaction to the question was bizarre, even by politician standards. His answer was to start yelling about how Labour introduced the WCA, which is true but completely irrelevant. After all, he's the one in power now - if he thought the WCA was so terrible, why not use that power to change things?

IDS has a short memory , wasn't it the coalition that introduced the Mandatory reconsideration last October, adding another obstacle for those found fit for work by ATOS

And going back further didn't this coalition also change some of the qualifying pigeon holes( descriptors) and associated points ? again making it harder for people to meet their criteria in 2013 ?

Edited by honeybee13
Removing pejorative terms.

The Army could not even trust the man to run a platoon of soldiers

They made him a Major Generals batman out of harms way

He was kicked out of the army after 5 years because he could never make Captain

Irritable bowel syndrome is a fraud and a Walter Mitty character

He even stated he earned a degree at two different universities when they were only Diplomas