Sick of all the tv programes about people on benefits?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3160 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I know i am, it's not just because it's about people claiming benefits, but all the inaccuracies contained within these programs, the one on channel 5 about benefit cheats, is the latest, a Liverpool lad , claiming what was described as sickness benefits ,for PTSD told the undercover reporter that he was getting a total of £1,500 per month ,inc DLA ,

I find that very hard to believe, which makes me think of those IDS and his sanctions work leaflets that were based on lies , Also are those that are cheating the system really that dumb that they will boast to someone they hardly know about the hows and why's of what they do?

Are these tv companies paying for stooges for entertainment value, and to help keep the governments hate propaganda against people on benefits alive ? if it isn't about cheating the system in some way, it's about their health conditions ie" too fat to work" ect

All those programmes are carefully edited and stage managed. I know someone who appeared in an episode of one of these types of programme (It wasn't benefits more a policing anti social behavior thing). When they turned up to film the producer gave them money to go buy some booze so they could be filmed drinking.

These are run by TV production companies to sell to the main stream networks. The only way that can happen and make the programs interesting is with creative licence

I know with benefit street they paid them with McDonalds, cigarettes, and alcohol, not cash as that would be classed as income.

The problem is a section of the community always believes these programs are true then propagate the lie through their own prejudice

Ian Duncan Smith knows this.

It makes you think why Channel 5 show this nonsense week in week out

Just how much lower are chan 5 going to sink? So far its been dogs on the dole, my big fat benefits wedding, 12 year old and on benefits, nothing seems to be off limits! And where are the posative programmes for those on benefits?

and the genuine unemployed being offered £1.48 per week as O.H. has Pension (low) people pay National Insurance but if Married it does not count if partner has an income of their own they paid for for over 50 years!!!!¬ urgghhhhhhhhhhhh

:mad2::-x:jaw::sad:

My opinion for what it is worth, is that a lot of this is politically motivated. If you think about it, there is a meeting of interest between politicians, financial interests and people who own TV channels.

Tories want to be divisive ( working class v working class), drive down wages, create a vulnerable atmosphere where people feel lucky to be earning minimum wage. They want the business owners to be able to make bigger profits and pay less tax as a percentage. Meanwhile they can prioritise those who are most likely to vote Tory e.g Pensioners.

Financial interests want better returns, so a motivated population eager for minimum wage jobs, means they can make more money. If the government are paying less in welfare, it means more chance of lower business taxes.

The people who own the channels are not spending money on these programmes because of viewing numbers. It is cheap to produce airtime filler. Also they see it as helping their own wider financial/political interests for some of the reasons already stated.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34076609

Yet again the BBC tell only one part of the whole story and make assumptions without the real facts

Why do those idiot reporters think that many English /British people will not work for£6.50 per hour

?

We don't rent out a house and live in it overcrowded , share beds, bills,( Do they all pay council tax where they live)?ect like they will, We should not therefore be expected to compete with those who migrate here who will work for less than a proper wage,If they want to live like they do, that is their choice, but we should not be expected to do the same,.in order for it to be worthwhile working for a pittance

Think the point is that migrants will generally accept pretty much anything, whereas a UK resident might not.

Most migrants are single young people who will sleep in a bunkbed in a small room shared with many others. If they are escaping war or poor conditions elsewhere this may be an improved situation. Most British people would not accept this.

Generalisation, as i have read of British people living in cars, sheds and other poor accommodation.

Most of the stuff in newspapers is just rubbish journalism.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

the ex works for £6.50 an hour and that includes weekends, works many times over 45 hours and goes all over the UK, he said a job is a job!

R.I.P my beautiful grey ghost, gone but never forgotten, taken so suddenly, 04/07/2004 ~ ~ 02/03/2017

Gone but never forgotten,Little Miss Sunshine, Alisha Marie. 15/12/2005 ~ ~ 13/02/2006

Our  beloved Dalmatian Jazz,  gone to join Wal at Rainbow Bridge, hope you are now pain free .  20/9/2005 ~ ~ 24/3/2019

I think the standard of jounalism has gone down hill. Now that more people view newspapers online than in print, they often do articles purely to provoke clicks and sell more advertising. Recently a well known newspaper have been caught running fake stories about celebs purely to gain online clicks.

Surely the point is that they are continually running down UK nationals. It's complete bull that the foreigners work harder.

True, I don't think migrants work any harder.

I also don't think that the conditions migrants choose to live in has an effect on minimum wage. There are always people who will choose to live, or are forced to live in poor conditions who will have lower outgoings than someone with a family in standard accommodation. I've lived in bedsits in a past - £60 a week, all bills included, and it's much easier to manage on a minimum wage job.

The wage problem isn't about migrants, it's about having a large pool of unemployed. This puts the power in the hands of the employer rather than the employee, who without a minimum wage can set a wage as low as they want. When there was 100% employment, the power was in the hands of the employee - to attract and keep good workers, an employer would have to offer more than other employers. It is up to the government now to ensure that an appropriate minimum wage is set. A decent minimum wage means a much lower welfare bill.

So we shouldn't blame migrants or UK nationals - it is the fault of government and employers. And to employers moaning that they can't afford a higher minimum wage - wage costs are part of business and the state shouldn't be subsidising a business's wage costs.If they can't pay a living wage then they need to rethink the business model.

ETA: And to the OP, don't fall for the propaganda - government and big business (who have a huge sway over media) want your blame placed away from them and so point to people to vilify so there are fewer questions and pressure on them.

• Haha 1

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Surely the point is that they are continually running down UK nationals. It's complete bull that the foreigners work harder.

When my mum was in a nursing home she hated weekends as it was all foreign staff. She wasn't racist but struggled with some of the accents. One of Mum's favourite carers was a lovely Zambian lady. When chatting one day she said it was all foreign staff at weekends as the British didn't want to work them.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

When my mum was in a nursing home she hated weekends as it was all foreign staff. She wasn't racist but struggled with some of the accents. One of Mum's favourite carers was a lovely Zambian lady. When chatting one day she said it was all foreign staff at weekends as the British didn't want to work them.

But if weekends was part of their working contract, they would have to the same as the lovely Zambian lady or be out of a job.

Having worked in that industry for a while I know that (at that time at least) there were lots of care jobs so good staff could pick and choose jobs and pretty much dictate their own terms.

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-34076609

Yet again the BBC tell only one part of the whole story and make assumptions without the real facts

Why do those idiot reporters think that many English /British people will not work for£6.50 per hour

?

We don't rent out a house and live in it overcrowded , share beds, bills,( Do they all pay council tax where they live)?ect like they will, We should not therefore be expected to compete with those who migrate here who will work for less than a proper wage,If they want to live like they do, that is their choice, but we should not be expected to do the same,.in order for it to be worthwhile working for a pittance

If you are referring to houses in multiple occupancy, then the landlord is the liable for council tax.

You also omit to mention all the migrants that come into the UK & earn high wages, do responsible jobs such as Doctors and contribute via taxation.

Please do not ask me for advice via PM as I will not reply.

If you are referring to houses in multiple occupancy, then the landlord is the liable for council tax.

You also omit to mention all the migrants that come into the UK & earn high wages, do responsible jobs such as Doctors and contribute via taxation.

Well looks to me like "tommy456" and a couple of others have removed the "rose tinted glasses". ...............But some might just require surgery to understand what is happening in this country and how it is affecting ALL industries in the UK.

So Shoelover to respond to your above statement :

I know of a building site (that is my trade.... Building 35 years plus.. Man and boy).

The site is an old pub. The new owner is having it extended.

There is a "Crew" of 12 Polish workers on £6.00 per hour and a 12 hour shift.

6 work days and 6 work nights.

They sleep in caravans in the car park . ....................NO council tax.

They are paid in cash. .................. No Tax or contributions. Nothing. No NI and no Pension plan.

I know what an employer is supposed to provide (Had and got rid of a big construction firm) So "Been there, Done it, Got the tee shirt".

You tell me how "they are contributing ?

They are not. They are "draining" the NHS and "rooking" the Tax payer by evading the Tax system.

Your second sentence: Such as Doctors..................

You tell me. Out of 333000 migrants this year. .................

How many were "earning high wages" ???????????????

Well looks to me like "tommy456" and a couple of others have removed the "rose tinted glasses". ...............But some might just require surgery to understand what is happening in this country and how it is affecting ALL industries in the UK.

So Shoelover to respond to your above statement :

I know of a building site (that is my trade.... Building 35 years plus.. Man and boy).

The site is an old pub. The new owner is having it extended.

There is a "Crew" of 12 Polish workers on £6.00 per hour and a 12 hour shift.

6 work days and 6 work nights.

They sleep in caravans in the car park . ....................NO council tax.

They are paid in cash. .................. No Tax or contributions. Nothing. No NI and no Pension plan.

I know what an employer is supposed to provide (Had and got rid of a big construction firm) So "Been there, Done it, Got the tee shirt".

You tell me how "they are contributing ?

They are not. They are "draining" the NHS and "rooking" the Tax payer by evading the Tax system.

Your second sentence: Such as Doctors..................

You tell me. Out of 333000 migrants this year. .................

How many were "earning high wages" ???????????????

Talking of the NHS why are our trained nurses leaving the NHS and working elsewhere, again so many come in from other countries who will work for less ,Why aren't we training more of our own people and paying them a decent wage to keep them in the NHS?

Some patients find it difficult to understand some of them, there is also a extra risk of errors being made due to this sort of thing

tommy456,

"Trained" nurses can earn far more in a nursing home over seeing "migrants".

Add to that Zero Hour contracts for cleaners and porters etc.

You can't be dealing with that with a mortgage.

"Why aren't we training more of our own people". ........................

We are. There a plenty of them.

My youngest daughter wanted to be a midwife. Went for an interview and met people that had been trying for years but due to the influx of "trained" migrants were still waiting for a "chance" to contribute !!!!

In my book "Charity begins at home". .......

Try to buy something British when you go shopping.

Try and give a British person a job. .... A chance.

But the whole deal comes down to "Price".

The" bottom line". How sad is that !!

She gave up and works in medical insurance now. Dealing with emergency e'vac. from all different country's.

3 girls I've got and all grafters ......... Like their father and mother.

Polite reminder....politics bashing allowed .... personal attacks not...please lets keep to the thread subject and have rational discussion.

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

Andyorch

i can understand my comment being removed due to sensitivity, but why has discrimination against migrants been allowed to remain.

It does not aid the debate as it is on personal opinion, not established fact?

It is nothing but the "Little englander" again

Not being picky, just curious