• Tweets

• Well as you're implying, UB, you're going to sign a better trade deal with a large economic bloc than with a small one, aren't you?   I don't think there's any chance of any deal based on a 'special relationship' while Biden's in the White House, but as I said I think Trump would have stitched us up in the end anyway.
    • Atleast 7 years, but they have already done some of the work. I think Liam Fox started this a few years ago.   My guess is that it will take 3 to 4 years before a proper trade deal is signed. There might be a mini trade deal before then limited to a few sectors.   The issue for the Brexit supporters might be when the EU and US sign a trade deal, before there is a UK/US deal. And when this finally happens UK only obtains same deal as EU. There is no reason for US to agree better terms with the UK and they would not do so  because US sees UK as part of Europe.
    • English school leaders despair over new rules on Covid tests and  masks   https://www.theguardian.com/education/2021/feb/25/english-school-leaders-despair-at-soft-line-on-covid-tests-and-masks
    • They've estimated 10 years to agree a trade deal haven't they, UB? I think the Tories believed Trump when he said the UK would be at the front of the queue and have a quick trade deal and thought it would look good as an announcement after Brexit happened. It didn't dawn on them until quite late on that Donald might lose the election.   Why they ever thought US negotiators would do any favours is beyond me and now you see how other countries have asserted themselves over trade deals, the Tories global ambitions are starting to look naive.
    • It takes a long time to agree trade deals because there are so many aspects to consider.    UK companies trade with US consumers including US Government every day of the year, with the previous trade arrangements still in place.   There is no hurry to agree a new trade deal. It takes thousands of civil servants in both Governments to go into every aspect and they just don't have the people available to do this work.    
  • Our picks

• I sent in the bailiffs to the BBC. They collected £350. It made me smile.
        • Haha
    • Hi @BankFodder
      Sorry for only updating you now, but after your guidance with submitting the claim it was pretty straight forward and I didn't want to unnecessarily waste your time. Especially with this guide you wrote here, so many thanks for that
      So I issued the claim on day 15 and they requested more time to respond.
      They took until the last day to respond and denied the claim, unsurprisingly saying my contract was with Packlink and not with them.

I opted for mediation, and it played out very similarly to other people's experiences.

In the first call I outlined my case, and I referred to the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 as the reason to why I do in fact have a contract with them. 

In the second call the mediator came back with an offer of the full amount of the phone and postage £146.93, but not the court costs. I said I was not willing to accept this and the mediator came across as a bit irritated that I would not accept this and said I should be flexible. I insisted that the law was on my side and I was willing to take them to court. The mediator went back to Hermes with what I said.

In the third call the mediator said that they would offer the full amount. However, he said that Hermes still thought that I should have taken the case against Packlink instead, and that they would try to recover the court costs themselves from Packlink.

To be fair to them, if Packlink wasn't based in Spain I would've made the claim against them instead. But since they are overseas and the law lets me take action against Hermes directly, it's the best way of trying to recover the money.

So this is a great win. Thank you so much for your help and all of the resources available on this site. It has helped me so much especially as someone who does not know anything about making money claims.

Many thanks, stay safe and have a good Christmas!

• Thanks
    • Hermes and mediation hints. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428981-hermes-and-mediation-hints/&do=findComment&comment=5080003
      • 1 reply
    • Natwest Bank Transfer Fraud Call HMRC Please help. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/428951-natwest-bank-transfer-fraud-call-hmrc-please-help/&do=findComment&comment=5079786
      • 33 replies

Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 2009 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

i have a contract with a broadband provider for 8 more months. its 18.40/month, i've moved and they want me to pay £100.00+ moving fee and wait 27 days to connect it at my new address. the contract is for supply of broadband/phone so can i cancel it based on the fact that they have broken the contract ? and cancel all further payments?

Who the hell is the provider??

What does the contract say as to a home move??

No way in hell can they justify £100 home move as any installation, connection will be the responsibility of Open reach on behalf of your provider

28 days is normal though and advance notice should be given of termination of service at your old address and connection at your new address

I have just gone through this with BT

Did you give them adequate notice of the home move

The broadband provider will have to make an appointment with Open reach to update the exchange

Appointments take time

That is why you give advance notice

well i gave only 3 days notice, but i didnt expect to wait 27 days and pay 100+. 2 weeks is acceptable, and the 27 day reconnection date looks like its not happening so its going to be 5 weeks

and "The broadband provider will have to make an appointment with Open reach to update the exchange" is not relevant, my contract is with the broadband provider to supply broadband, not Open reach

Yes you have a contract with them to provide broadband, but 3 days notice is hardly reasonable. Home moves typically need to have a few weeks notice if you were wanting the switchover to be immediate. The fact that they need to make an appointment with Openreach is entirely relevant. Openreach do the work at the exchange for all ADSL providers and so they're always busy, hence the need for advance booking of appointments.

The £100 moving fee however seems excessive. Is there no active phoneline at the new address? That sounds more like the fee to connect a new line than to simply transfer over services to a new existing line.

Yes you have a contract with them to provide broadband, but 3 days notice is hardly reasonable. Home moves typically need to have a few weeks notice if you were wanting the switchover to be immediate. The fact that they need to make an appointment with Openreach is entirely relevant. Openreach do the work at the exchange for all ADSL providers and so they're always busy, hence the need for advance booking of appointments.

The £100 moving fee however seems excessive. Is there no active phoneline at the new address? That sounds more like the fee to connect a new line than to simply transfer over services to a new existing line.

i agree 3 days notice is hardly reasonable. i would wait a few weeks notice if to have the 'immediate' switchover . the way the broadband provider operate with openreach and the delay openreach cause isnt relevant to my contract. if the broadband provider cant provide what they are contracted to do then the contract is void

I had to give BT six weeks notice with my home move

As i have already stated, it is when an appointment can be made available with Open reach decides how long you will have to wait to have your service transferred

Sky as an example have their own equipment now put into the BT exchanges

I had to give BT six weeks notice with my home move

As i have already stated, it is when an appointment can be made available with Open reach decides how long you will have to wait to have your service transferred

Sky as an example have their own equipment now put into the BT exchanges

6weeks notice is good 6weeks wait is too long. its not necessary to bow to your broadband provider, cancel +change

The six weeks was the earliest appointment BT gave me after i notified them of my home move

SO I HAD TO WAIT SIX WEEKS

You in my opinion are blowing this situation out of the water and being totally unreasonable to your Broadband provider

If you are not happy then by all means pay off your remaining contractual period and move to another provider

I use BT, not because they are the cheapest, they are actually the most expensive provider of home telecommunications, i do it because the service they provide is reliable and stable for which i am prepared to pay a little bit more