27 days wait for broadband afer moving

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3156 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i have a contract with a broadband provider for 8 more months. its 18.40/month, i've moved and they want me to pay £100.00+ moving fee and wait 27 days to connect it at my new address. the contract is for supply of broadband/phone so can i cancel it based on the fact that they have broken the contract ? and cancel all further payments?

Who the hell is the provider??

What does the contract say as to a home move??

No way in hell can they justify £100 home move as any installation, connection will be the responsibility of Open reach on behalf of your provider

28 days is normal though and advance notice should be given of termination of service at your old address and connection at your new address

I have just gone through this with BT

Did you give them adequate notice of the home move

The broadband provider will have to make an appointment with Open reach to update the exchange

Appointments take time

That is why you give advance notice

well i gave only 3 days notice, but i didnt expect to wait 27 days and pay 100+. 2 weeks is acceptable, and the 27 day reconnection date looks like its not happening so its going to be 5 weeks

and "The broadband provider will have to make an appointment with Open reach to update the exchange" is not relevant, my contract is with the broadband provider to supply broadband, not Open reach

Yes you have a contract with them to provide broadband, but 3 days notice is hardly reasonable. Home moves typically need to have a few weeks notice if you were wanting the switchover to be immediate. The fact that they need to make an appointment with Openreach is entirely relevant. Openreach do the work at the exchange for all ADSL providers and so they're always busy, hence the need for advance booking of appointments.

The £100 moving fee however seems excessive. Is there no active phoneline at the new address? That sounds more like the fee to connect a new line than to simply transfer over services to a new existing line.

Yes you have a contract with them to provide broadband, but 3 days notice is hardly reasonable. Home moves typically need to have a few weeks notice if you were wanting the switchover to be immediate. The fact that they need to make an appointment with Openreach is entirely relevant. Openreach do the work at the exchange for all ADSL providers and so they're always busy, hence the need for advance booking of appointments.

The £100 moving fee however seems excessive. Is there no active phoneline at the new address? That sounds more like the fee to connect a new line than to simply transfer over services to a new existing line.

i agree 3 days notice is hardly reasonable. i would wait a few weeks notice if to have the 'immediate' switchover . the way the broadband provider operate with openreach and the delay openreach cause isnt relevant to my contract. if the broadband provider cant provide what they are contracted to do then the contract is void

I had to give BT six weeks notice with my home move

As i have already stated, it is when an appointment can be made available with Open reach decides how long you will have to wait to have your service transferred

Sky as an example have their own equipment now put into the BT exchanges

I had to give BT six weeks notice with my home move

As i have already stated, it is when an appointment can be made available with Open reach decides how long you will have to wait to have your service transferred

Sky as an example have their own equipment now put into the BT exchanges

6weeks notice is good 6weeks wait is too long. its not necessary to bow to your broadband provider, cancel +change

The six weeks was the earliest appointment BT gave me after i notified them of my home move

SO I HAD TO WAIT SIX WEEKS

You in my opinion are blowing this situation out of the water and being totally unreasonable to your Broadband provider

If you are not happy then by all means pay off your remaining contractual period and move to another provider

I use BT, not because they are the cheapest, they are actually the most expensive provider of home telecommunications, i do it because the service they provide is reliable and stable for which i am prepared to pay a little bit more