BankFodder BankFodder

sadone

IDS plotting major changes to ESA WCA

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1685 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

when we are all got rid of!

I am in favour of policies put in place to encourage businesses to take on disabled workers and make adaptations for them, for instance flexible working, homeworking, etc. I'm also in favour of retraining people who can't do their usual occupation, or maybe who are only fit for certain occupations, so that they are able to take up work. Also I'm in favour of offering proper therapy and support to those with depression and anxiety to enable them to work. I very much doubt that these are the things that will be offered.

My other problem is that there are plenty of able bodied unemployed and not enough jobs for them.Where are the jobs going to come from for these these people with disabilities and chronic illnesses? It is not in a business owner's self interest to hire someone who will cost them money in making adaptations and may cost them money with the possibility of a higher sickness rate, not to mention the liability issues that employers will worry about.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

When we have 2.5 unemployed claiming JSA (Government figures so take with a pinch of salt)

And only half a million current job vacancies

Who is kidding who?

I can't wait for this odious criminal to drop dead, I really can't.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

When we have 2.5 unemployed claiming JSA (Government figures so take with a pinch of salt)

And only half a million current job vacancies

Who is kidding who?

There are almost 3/4 million job vacancies, 50,000 more than in 2008 which was the year of the highest number of vancancies during the labour years.

There are more people employed now that there has ever been.

I can't wait for this odious criminal to drop dead, I really can't.

When he goes, someone else will take over the reigns.

There are almost 3/4 million job vacancies, 50,000 more than in 2008 which was the year of the highest number of vancancies during the labour years.

Then i take it the information from the ONS is inaccurate, or would you care to source where you got your figures from, .Conservative party office??

Northern Ireland as an example has 54,000 claiming JSA, with only 5,000 confirmed vacancies

This is the key issue, really. Asking "what could this person possibly, conceivably do?" is not a particularly useful approach - at least, not if you're genuinely trying to help the sick and disabled. The more sensible question to ask when making benefit decisions is "Is there anyone who would, realistically, employ this person? Do they have an actual chance of finding work?"

Edit to add: This post was a response to Estellyn's post above.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

What has happened to the number of people claiming Housing Benefit in that period? That's a pretty good marker for the general state of the labour market.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Not to mention the half a million who have been sanctioned taken off the unemployment figures. Then with those who claim ESA, those with work place provider such as igneus or doing mandatory work activity

I will not even mention most work is zero hour contracts of 17 hours a week or less, hardly a living wage which the state picks up the tab as to housing benefit etc

Claims for housing benefit have increased by £650m a year since 2010

There are Lies, Dam lies, And irritable bowel syndromes (Smith) statistics

Yep. I think a reasonable estimate for the number of people looking for work is about 1.8 million. That's just the number of "economically active" people, so JSA claimants, those sanctioned, plus people who aren't entitled to JSA for whatever reason (working partner, usually). Then we have to add people who aren't economically active but would like a job, such as people who've simply given up in despair, people who are looking after the family home but would rather be working, all those people who're claiming ESA or IB/IS but would rather be working and so on. Best guess is around 4 million people total.

We can also consider the nature of the vacancies posted, as you mention. Let's assume (generously) that about half of them are real, actual vacancies that could support a person and their family. So if every single one of those vacanies were filled tomorrow by someone who is not currently working, there would be around 3.5 million people left. If we restrict this to "officially" unemployed people by the ONS statistics, that means only about 1.5 million people would be left without work.

Of course, one thing is kinda sorta true: there are more people working than ever before. Of course, that's just because the population has risen, not because of any real increase in the meaningful employment rate.

Also, remember, these aren't vacancies staying empty - the vacancies get filled, mostly by people with a job applying for a new job, being successful, and then their job becomes empty. The rest are filled by those on jsa and those classed 'economically inactive'.

and yet the numbers of economically inactive continues to rise, and the numbers of jobseekers grew at last count I believe, plus as has already been stated far more part time and zero hour contract workers.

The statistics are all smoke and mirrors, designed to be of use to whoever happens to be in power. Those who support the ideology of the party will believe the stats (and that goes for all parties and most supporters), and the stats are useful for the media who love promoting their current political darlings.

Dig down past the spin and the true meaning of the figures appear.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Yep your right. Erm no. A lot of people cant get any kind of job despite being university qualified with years of working experience. Loads of jobs my arse. Many jobs on the internet don't exist or are duplicated.

When supermarkets are conducting elaborate "personality tests" on candidates applying for vacancies that involve selling sandwiches and petrol, it's absurd on its face to believe that there are thousands of jobs going undone in this country because people are too lazy to do them.

Your forgetting the increase in the new scourge. FAKE self employed jobs. Where employed positions are converted to self employment in order to escape certain employment regulation liabilities

Meter readers

Delivery Drivers

Care Work

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.