HB and CT overpayment - Need advice

Farbramble
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3167 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there.

I'm self-employed, but due to intermittent health issues (seeing the Dr), I've failed to notify the local council re HB/CT on my income.

I've worked out I probably owe several thousand in rent, etc. Is there a system in place to pay it back, at a rate I can afford?

I don't want to get in hot water over this!

Many thanks.

The thing i found was to be totally honest with them and they will play ball. We all make mistakes.

I moved out part month and owed £200 housing benefit. They were happy for me to pay it back at £5.00 per week by standing order. Does not matter if it is £200 or £2000 outstanding, it is a willingness to put things right that counts.

If you submit tax returns for being self employed the council will find out.

I myself would write them a letter and say you think you might have been paid when not entitled and wish to address the issue. It will be better for you in the long run and i very much doubt a prosecution as that requires deliberate intent to defraud

But that is me from past experience but it is your choice in the end

Best thing is to come clean and inform the council of what has happened. If you still receive hb and ctr after that, deductions will be made from your benefit to repay the debt. If you don't receive hb and ctr after, then you will need to make arrangements to repay hb with the hb dept and council tax with the council tax dept.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop