You can now change your notification sounds by going to this link https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/index.php?/&app=soundboard&module=soundboard&controller=managesounds

You can find a library of free notification sounds in several places on the Internet. Here's one which has a very large selection https://notificationsounds.com/notification-sounds

BankFodder BankFodder

BankFodder BankFodder

Arthuritus

Mis-sold holiday accomodation - Disabilty issue

style="text-align:center;"> Please note that this topic has not had any new posts for the last 1779 days.

If you are trying to post a different story then you should start your own new thread. Posting on this thread is likely to mean that you won't get the help and advice that you need.

If you are trying to post information which is relevant to the story in this thread then please flag it up to the site team and they will allow you to post.

Thank you

Hello

I am looking to see if anybody can give me advice.

We (my family) have just come back from a holiday in Belgium. We rented holiday accommodation in a holiday centre.

When I booked the accommodation, I talked to the sales people and explained that I needed a property that was disability friendly. e.g. At least one bedroom downstairs, with a walk in shower and toilet.

We booked a 3 bedroom house. I have arthritis and very bad circulation and very thin skin. I can't afford to have accidents. I do have a blue badge and use a wheelchair when the distance to walk is too far for me. The wheelchair was bespoke and provided by the NHS.

One of our daughters is Autistic and has very bad anxiety issues.

When we arrived, we got to our accommodation, which was very run down and didn't have a bedroom, toilet and shower room downstairs. My daughter had a meltdown (very heart breaking to see it happening).

So I went to reception and complained (this was 4 oclock in the afternoon, having travelled all the way by car from Lincolnshire).

All they could offer me was a 4 bedroomed accommodation and it would cost us an extra €400 for the pleasure.

We looked at the accommodation and although it had a bedroom, the tiniest toilet room I have ever seen and a bathroom with bath and overhead shower downstairs, it was not disability friendly.

Because of the stress and anxiety that our daughter was going through and having nowhere else to go, we went back to reception and accepted the accommodation. I managed to barter the €400 down to €200.

The next day I filled a complaints form in accusing them of miss selling us a holiday home. I put on the form that I wanted all the money back, for them not providing the correct sort of accommodation.

It spoiled our holiday and I was constantly hurting my self, because I didn't have support handles for lifting myself up.

Anyway, when I got back home, I called the head office up and complained. They offered to return the €200 back, which I still haven't received. I do believe I will get that money.

Once I receive that, I want to claim for all the money paid for the accommodation on the basis that they effectively miss sold me the wrong type of accommodation and using the disability act to support it.

Can anybody give me any advice on this matter, especially as to whether I have a valid claim. I can't afford a lawyer.

How did you pay please

DX

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

if everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's tomorrow

the biggest financial industry in the UK, DCA;s would collapse overnight.

How did you pay please

DX

I made a bank transfer from my debit/current account with RBS. I have the confirmation of payments by email. I didn't want to use my credit card as they would treat it as cash and then charge interest.

You can make foreign currency payments online through your account.

Tricky !

Depends on where you booked the holiday accommodation.

Did you book it directly with the Belgian resort ? If so, you would have to go through the Belgian complaints system and if not resolved, issue a court claim in Belgium. I can't see you doing this and you would be reliant on the Belgian resort resolving your complaint. Check their website to see if they are members of any trade body that could help with complaints. Are they part of a big company and you can complain to their head office ? Something for you to look into, by reading all information on their website.

If you booked via a UK agent, then complain to them and if necessary you can use a UK small court claim. But your booking must have been with a UK agent for you to use a UK court.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Hi Thanks for responding.

I booked through the head office in the UK, but my money was paid direct to their holiday resort in Belgium.

I have a copy of my complaint whilst on the Belgium vacation park, which was handed to reception on our 2nd day.

When I called the head office in the UK after returning, my first thought was to get the €200 I was forced to pay extra. They immediately agreed to refund that but told me it could take 6 weeks. So I don't want to persue my full claim until I know that money is in my bank. That way I have evidence that they agree that things were not right.

It would be inappropriate of me to mention the holiday group on here, but it is a well respected company.

You would not be able to claim the whole cost of the holiday anyway. It would be a sum that relates to any loss you can identify, which might not be much more than the 200 which they have agreed to refund.

I think you will find that people have tried to claim whole costs of holidays before and have failed. You had a holiday, had some accommodation, but it was not as was promissed. It is how you quantify the loss.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Basically, there is no way I would have booked the holiday, If I had known they had mis sold the holiday. I said quite clearly to them that it had to be suitable for a wheelchair user and it wasn't. My point being that I was mis sold and they had not complied with my disability rights.

Basically, there is no way I would have booked the holiday, If I had known they had mis sold the holiday. I said quite clearly to them that it had to be suitable for a wheelchair user and it wasn't. My point being that I was mis sold and they had not complied with my disability rights.

Yes realise that, but legally it is what amount you can claim. if you stayed at the resort for the whole holiday period, you received the holiday you paid for. It is what you can claim for the accommodation not being suitable as promissed for a disabled person.

I am in agreement with you, but wanted other people's opinions to see if my thinking is correct.

As such, it affected the whole family as I had a bad time there and was so uncomfortable and consequently did not sleep well, due to being in unnecessary pain, due to the incorrect facilities. This had a knock on effect with my family because of my moods. Which in a sense spoiled the holiday. We didn't go to the holiday park to use their facilities, but because they could offer the disability facilities I needed.

The holiday company will refund the 200 as that is probably their only legal requirement. I.e should not have had to pay extra. The rest is an argument as to what was suitable accommodation as they had promissed and if they failed, what the value is.

Beyond the 200, i think the legal route is very difficult. You would be better visiting as many internet forums online and registering negative reviews. Also posting to disability issues forums about your experience. Sometimes companies don't like negative comments online and will look to do more than they may be legally responsible for.

I have to agree with uncle b. Had you abandoned the holiday because of unsuitability, you would then be in a position to make a claim for the full amount, but as you continued with the holiday, what you asked for or not, you cannot then expect the full amount refunded.

You will need to identify losses.

The holiday company will refund the 200 as that is probably their only legal requirement. I.e should not have had to pay extra. The rest is an argument as to what was suitable accommodation as they had promissed and if they failed, what the value is.

Beyond the 200, i think the legal route is very difficult. You would be better visiting as many internet forums online and registering negative reviews. Also posting to disability issues forums about your experience. Sometimes companies don't like negative comments online and will look to do more than they may be legally responsible for.

Yes, that might be my best bet, to give my reviews etc. I will do that when I get the 200 back .Thanks

I couldn't abandon the holiday as we had our Autistic daughter with us who suffers from severe anxiety. She was having total meltdowns and it was very unpleasant to watch her going through that. Plus we porbably would not have found suitable accomodation