Reclaiming BC penalties in court***Successful Outcome Agreed***

ewgm
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2991 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello CAGGERS!!!!

I have made a claim against Barclaycards on penalty charges that occurred between 2007 to 20012. Given to directions from experienced BC forum members I managed to processed my claim to the CCMCC's stage so far by submitted a N1 form & POC.

But I have received a letter from CCMCC states that; The defendant filed an acknowledgement of service on 6 August 2015.

The defendant responded to the claim indicating an intention to defend all of the claim......

But what surprised me most and given to other people successful claims in the forum, I have never come across anyone mentioned of Tlt Llp, One Redcliff Street, Bristol, BS1 6TP as the solicitors acting for the defendants (BC).

Then it shows that, this claim will go all the way to the court room and, as I'm waiting for 28 days before BC submit their defence. I need to be ready and well prepared for a court battle. Please, kindly your assistance on how to prepare a court bundles much needed and any advice based on your experience that similar to mine also needed.

Thanks

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ewgm and welcome to CAG

This isn't the first time we've seen these sol'rs used in a claim against Barclays.

Can you tell us your Particulars of Claim but don't post any personal identifiers.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Thread title changed to reflect the nature of this case.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi Ewgm and welcome to CAG

This isn't the first time we've seen these sol'rs used in a claim against Barclays.

Can you tell us your Particulars of Claim but don't post any personal identifiers.

Hi Slick132

I have tried to upload the POC but it's too long, let me attached it as a PDF file.

Edited by ewgm

Doh !!

I was sure I replied over the w/end but it's not here.

The PDF of the PoC is fine, thanks.

I can fwd a Basic Court Bundle doc't to you if you send me your email address by PM.

Let us see their defence when you get it. There's a way to go before this gets to court - Transfer to your local court; Allocation to Track; Case Directions; Mediation.

Doh !!

I was sure I replied over the w/end but it's not here.

The PDF of the PoC is fine, thanks.

I can fwd a Basic Court Bundle doc't to you if you send me your email address by PM.

Let us see their defence when you get it. There's a way to go before this gets to court - Transfer to your local court; Allocation to Track; Case Directions; Mediation.

Thanks a lot @slick132 and all who are willing to help

Based on your experience, I will hold tight on your advice and guidance.

I will PM you my email address shortly whilst waiting for their defence.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @slick132

I have received the Defence by a way of service, from TLT with attached letter states that they continue to act on behalf of BC.

The Defence contains 6 pages attached with Barclaycard conditions letter, credit agreements form which signed on 2008 and the refusal letter that Barclaycard wrote me on mid June 2015 after submission of my LBA.

But what surprised me, when Barclay reply my SAR that credit agreements form which signed on 2008 was not included. The credit agreements form which I received from Barclaycard shows the initial agreement I entered with them in 2002.

Also on their defence TLT states nothing concerning my initial agreement with I signed in 2002 before my account was changed in 2008.

So please advice me what I should do now after receiving their Defence letter.

I can scan and upload their Defence here if you would like to see it for further advice.

I also welcome advice from anyone who has kind of similar situation as mine.

Rgd

ewgm

Yup, redact the defence of personal and identifiable details (Including references at top and bottom of pages and barcodes) Then Slick, me and others can have a look. Im not expecting much we have not seen before.

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Yup, redact the defence of personal and identifiable details (Including references at top and bottom of pages and barcodes) Then Slick, me and others can have a look. Im not expecting much we have not seen before.

Hi @SabreSheep, @slick132 and all Caggers

First of all, please accept my apology for the time took to attach the Defence letter due to a technical problem on my printer.

I have also received a letter (Notice of Proposed Allocation to the Small Claims Track) from CCMC yesterday, please you input on this matter is most welcomed as well.

Thank you in advance for your wonderful support on this matter.

ewgm

Hi EW,

Please convert the pages to a PDF doc't and attach.

The jpg's aren't big enough to read.

Nope that all loks very familiar, lots of waffle.

From what I can see their main points of challenge are

18.1 - Statute of limitations (Along with 25.) which you can argue using the case law. The mistake is a mistake in law in that they unlawfully made the charges in error

18.3 - They say they have suffered loss, due to breach of t+cs - well how come then that no matter how much you go over or for how long or how late the payment is is the charge the same. Eg not a genuine pre esitmation of loss and therefore a penalty charge

22.1 - The case mention here applies to CURRENT ACCOUNTS ONLY and has no relevance on CREDIT CARD ACCOUNTS.

21. The OFT report DID NOT SAY that charges at or under £12 were fair.

If you read the report it states that it does not make a judgment on whether charges set at £12 are fair only that it will not intervene unless they exceed £12. Elsewhere in the report it also mentions that ONLY A COURT CAN decide on the fairness of the charges.

IN all the defense looks like most we have seen before, even though this is coming from a different "firm"

I would be tempted to send a brief letter to them "Thanking for their defence. You do not agree with their position and will continue to Court" Failing that do not respond and let the AQ speak for you.

When must the AQ be served on the court AND the defendant?

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Hi EW,

Please convert the pages to a PDF doc't and attach.

The jpg's aren't big enough to read.

Hi @slick132

I have managed to convert pages into PDF documents. I hope this will help.

Thanks

ewgm

Nope that all loks very familiar, lots of waffle.

From what I can see their main points of challenge are

18.1 - Statute of limitations (Along with 25.) which you can argue using the case law. The mistake is a mistake in law in that they unlawfully made the charges in error

18.3 - They say they have suffered loss, due to breach of t+cs - well how come then that no matter how much you go over or for how long or how late the payment is is the charge the same. Eg not a genuine pre esitmation of loss and therefore a penalty charge

22.1 - The case mention here applies to CURRENT ACCOUNTS ONLY and has no relevance on CREDIT CARD ACCOUNTS.

21. The OFT report DID NOT SAY that charges at or under £12 were fair.

If you read the report it states that it does not make a judgment on whether charges set at £12 are fair only that it will not intervene unless they exceed £12. Elsewhere in the report it also mentions that ONLY A COURT CAN decide on the fairness of the charges.

IN all the defense looks like most we have seen before, even though this is coming from a different "firm"

I would be tempted to send a brief letter to them "Thanking for their defence. You do not agree with their position and will continue to Court" Failing that do not respond and let the AQ speak for you.

When must the AQ be served on the court AND the defendant?

Hi @SabreSheep

My intention was not to engaged with them at this stage however I will post that brief letter on Monday morning and continue to a Court.

The AQ must be served by 25th September 2015.

ewgm

Hi @SabreSheep & @slick132

I have sent to them that short letter as advised above but do I need to serve them another letter informing them my intention to submit the DQ form?

I have also accept the mediation part on DQ but do I need to fill part C and D (Track and About the Hearing) as well?

The DQ form must be filed by 25th September 2015.

ewgm

Hi Ewgm,

The letter is just a polite update for them. They'll be sent the DQ by the court.

C - tick the YES box to confirm SMT is appropriate.

D - Enter the name of your local County Court.

Hi @slick132, @SabreSheep and all Caggers

I'm back again with new update.

Yesterday, I have received a letter from TLT solicitors on behalf of BC and they have accepted the mediation as well. So please advice what I should do now to be ready for the mediation process.

You are contribution will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ok Mediation will be a 1 hour phone discussion with the mediator. That person will relay to the other side.

They will aim to test your resolve and put pressure on you to settle. You have no obligation to do so.

Be will put forward their main points in the defense. You will be asked your opinion.

So.

1. Keep in contact via phone AND email with the Mediation team. It is your response ability to make the effort to book an appointment. Keep chasing them if you do not hear back. Keep paper trail as well.

2. For all the bits of legislation you will be using make sure you understand how it supports your case. Use highlighter and bullet points.

3. For their defense make sure you understand the cases they seek to rely on. Again highlight not bullet point why it does not support their arguments.

4. Make sure u have the oft statement on credit card charges printed out. Again understand why it supports you. Highlight and bullet point things.

This is all helpful as you will be able to understand your case and give you confidence to continue. Even if they do not settle at Mediation you will be adding to the risk in their risk assessment of the case. A later offer may appear.

Mediator will test your resolve to take this to court. Qs like how you would feel if you lost? How strong do you feel your case is.

Also have to hand all the figures. Be able to explain the Apr on the interest. If restitution is claimed have reference to products sold by BBC with same or higher Apr than your claiming. Google is your friend.

Make sure you understand restitution And arguments to beat statute of limitations.

And why the high Court case does not affect credit cards.

Sounds a lot but this is useful as it gets you into the frame of mind should you need to go to court.

As always in order to help others please let me know your experience so my advice can be updated ;)

Edited by SabreSheep
changed "Highlight not Bullet points to Highlight AND Bullet points"

Cool.

BTW I meant highlight and use bullet points above :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hello @SabreSheep and @Slick132

Please I need your help urgently on case's summary for (Sempra Metals vs Inland Revenue & Kleinwort Benson vs Lincoln City Council).

I have tried to Google them but I found very difficult to capture a summary of them that will back up my case.

I have got mediation appointment on the week commencing on 26th October.

I really need your help caggers

ewgm

Google

Sempra Metals vs Inland Revenue

2nd result is a pdf

Heavy reading but the answers are in there.

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld199798/ldjudgmt/jd981029/klein01.htm

Again heavy reading, but the answer to the 6 years is there.