ESA, partner working less than 24 hours help!

rp1608
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3168 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I claim ESA(IR) and I am in the Support group, my partner wants to work, but it will be 16-20 hours per week. So obviously I will inform DWP if this goes ahead. But can anyone advise how it affects my benefit?

If he earns £130 per week, is that taken of my ESA Claim or does my claim stay the same and he keeps the money, as I read that my partner can work upto 24 hours, but it might affect my benefit on the benefit letter.

Can this be for more than a year, as it seems if it was me working the maximum would be 12 months.

Thanks

Yes any income would be subtracted from benefit, with, I believe a £20 disregard, which means the first £20 of wages are ignored. There is no maximum number of months he can work - he can do the job permanently. Does your partner have any disabilities?

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Then your partner should also be able to claim wtc as long as he works over 16 hours - your esa claim would end up paying just your NI credits. If you're getting help with a mortgage via esa, then you may want to consider wtc carefully - otherwise, you should be better off. You may want to use an online benefit tracker to see exactly what you might be entitled to.

When I crunch the numbers WTC does not come into effect until 24 hours. But he will not hit that many hours, at least not to begin with, so basically no better of until we reach 24 hours, the 16 hour rule only seems to apply if it is the person with a disability that works, which doesn't make sense as PIP is not means tested, so what is the point, or am I missing the point?

He wants to work, but needs to be here to care as well. Difficult really.

If you look on here:

https://www.gov.uk/working-tax-credit/eligibility

it states exceptions for couples with at least one child

You can claim if you work less than 24 hours a week between you and one of the following applies:

you work at least 16 hours a week and you’re disabled or aged 60 or above

you work at least 16 hours a week and your partner is incapacitated (getting certain benefits because of disability or ill health), is entitled to Carer’s Allowance, or is in hospital or prison

and as you qualify for ESA and pip you are classed as incapacitated and as long as he works at least 16 hours a week he would still be entitled to claim.