DWP Direct Earnings Attachment

jimbocw
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3166 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have been informed by the DWP that they are thinking of a DEA for overpayment of Income support from 1992.

I had replied to this some time ago stating statute barred etc.

I know that the DWP cannot take me to court because of this and also that they can recover from future benefits.

My question is this, a DEA according to the Welfare Reform Act 2012 lists specific benefits to which it applies namely universal credit, jobseekers allowance, employment and support allowance, and except in prescribed circumstances, housing credit (within the meaning of the State Pension Credit A)

The recovery they seek is for Income support which is not listed, can they still apply the DEA as I believe they can't.

Have you sent them an sar free to get all the details?

Many of these old debts they have no actual data on and cannot backup their claim

Dwp debts as with all govt debts can never be sb'd

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

I have requested the details, i am looking to dispute the legality of the dea in that it does not include income support in the list of benefits in the welfare reform act 2012 that allows the dea.

I suspect that recovery from IS is covered by previous legislation. By all means demand that they explain to you what legislation they are using to make these deductions, but I would be frankly astonished if deductions from IS are not permitted.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.

Antone, the dea applies to the welfare reform act 2012 in that it now allows the dwp to apply a dea without the need for a court order, previous legislation covering i.s. Would have required a court order for the arrestment of wages, this does not.

I have been informed by the DWP that they are thinking of a DEA for overpayment of Income support from 1992.

I had replied to this some time ago stating statute barred etc.

I know that the DWP cannot take me to court because of this and also that they can recover from future benefits.

My question is this, a DEA according to the Welfare Reform Act 2012 lists specific benefits to which it applies namely universal credit, jobseekers allowance, employment and support allowance, and except in prescribed circumstances, housing credit (within the meaning of the State Pension Credit A)

The recovery they seek is for Income support which is not listed, can they still apply the DEA as I believe they can't.

Yes they can, Section 106 of the new legislation amended S71 of the Social Security Administration Act 1992, which applies to Income Support (amongst other benefits)

Get your local MP involved asap.

As well as sending off that SAR which is free, make the crooks work for their grubby money.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/dwp-request-for-personal-information

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Antone, the dea applies to the welfare reform act 2012 in that it now allows the dwp to apply a dea without the need for a court order, previous legislation covering i.s. Would have required a court order for the arrestment of wages, this does not.

Sorry, right, I misread your post. I think Lld01 might have provided you with the answer, but I would be quite surprised if IS were somehow excepted from these (draconian, IMO) provisions to recover overpayments.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING. EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The idea that all politicians lie is music to the ears of the most egregious liars.