Insurance Cancelled on Car - Advice please?

MarkHev
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3164 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In April 2015 I was driving to work on a busy three lane street in the right lane, intending to go right at the lights.

Although it was a 40 road a car behind went across the other two lanes and then across me

and the car to my left before getting stuck behind the car in front at the lights.

As he missed me by inches I honked my horn and he proceeded to jump out and start swearing about I'd better not hit his (sports) car

or I'd be liable for thousands of pounds of damage.

He then took a photo of my car and before I could react drove off across the lanes again speeding down the street.

My passenger and I agreed he was an idiot but I decided as he had taken my picture to notify my insurer just in case he made a fraudulent claim.

I took photos of my car to show no impact / collision ever occurred.

The insurer took notes and said they would contact me if he did

Two weeks later I got a call to say no claim had been made but "claims take a while to filter through sometimes"

I questioned this stating that if a claim was made surely I'd have heard by then?

Nothing more was heard and in July I renewed.

My insurer doubled my premium and when I asked why I was told due to a "pending claim you made"

I explained no claim was made and they said that they would amend their records.

I got the quote and it was the same so I shopped around and got a far better deal.

My NCB form arrived and showed the pending claim that I had "Hit TP in rear"

I contacted customer services who said contact claims

I contacted claims who said no - its customer services.

After five calls I spoke to a guy who assured me that he would rectify it and he could see the error.

I then got a new NCB sheet showing "Hit TP in rear - no fault"

Although I now had the NCB it was factually incorrect.

I contacted them again and got the same run around.

I put in a complaint and was told it will take a month to investigate

I informed my new insurer of this and they contacted the old insurer who said "No NCB - due to a pending accident claim"

and the new insurer has promptly cancelled my insurance with 7 days notice as a result.

I've sent all the copies to the new insurer showing various incorrect info and its corrections but they will not reinstate my policy?

What can I do!!! I need my car for my job and I will lose it if I don't have insurance

In April 2015 I was driving to work on a busy three lane street in the right lane, intending to go right at the lights. Although it was a 40 road a car behind went across the other two lanes and then across me and the car to my left before getting stuck behind the car in front at the lights. As he missed me by inches I honked my horn and he proceeded to jump out and start swearing about I'd better not hit his (sports) car or I'd be liable for thousands of pounds of damage. He then took a photo of my car and before I could react drove off across the lanes again speeding down the street.

My passenger and I agreed he was an idiot but I decided as he had taken my picture to notify my insurer just in case he made a fraudulent claim. I took photos of my car to show no impact / collision ever occurred.

The insurer took notes and said they would contact me if he did

Two weeks later I got a call to say no claim had been made but "claims take a while to filter through sometimes" I questioned this stating that if a claim was made surely I'd have heard by then?

Nothing more was heard and in July I renewed. My insurer doubled my premium and when I asked why I was told due to a "pending claim you made"

I explained no claim was made and they said that they would amend their records.

I got the quote and it was the same so I shopped around and got a far better deal.

My NCB form arrived and showed the pending claim that I had "Hit TP in rear"

I contacted customer services who said contact claims

I contacted claims who said no - its customer services.

After five calls I spoke to a guy who assured me that he would rectify it and he could see the error.

I then got a new NCB sheet showing "Hit TP in rear - no fault"

Although I now had the NCB it was factually incorrect. I contacted them again and got the same run around. I put in a complaint and was told it will take a month to investigate

I informed my new insurer of this and they contacted the old insurer who said "No NCB - due to a pending accident claim" and the new insurer has promptly cancelled my insurance with 7 days notice as a result.

I've sent all the copies to the new insurer showing various incorrect info and its corrections but they will not reinstate my policy?

What can I do!!! I need my car for my job and I will lose it if I don't have insurance

All this mess because of a car rage incident during which another driver took a photo ! There was no need to report because there was no accident i.e no damage to any property or persons.

Once you report any incident it will go down as a potential claim. You cannot 'unreport' it, as if you never phoned the Insurers.

1). You need to contact someone senior ( customer service manager ) at the old Insurers to resolve the claim and no claims issue. You could do with a letter from them, which you can send to the new Insurers, explaining what happened i.e communication issues about a potential claim being reported, but no loss reported and of wrong info being advised in documents about the sratus of the claim.

2) Once the new Insurers have the letter, you can hopefully resolve the cancellation issue. Then arrange a new policy with them or elsewhere.

Bit of a mess, but this us what happens when people report everyday issues to Insurers without actual loss being incurred. If this ever happens again, just keep a diary record of time/date,with some basic information about what happened, no damage or injury, other car info, any witnesses with you. Your Insurers would contact you if a third party tried to claim against you.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks. I did not know that it was unnecessary at the time. I did make it clear I just wanted a note and did not wish to claim and also told them on subsequent occasions.

The fact that you thought it serious enough to report and a third party was involved. Would always be noted as a claim with a pending status. They should have told you this.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

The problem is, you can't predict what the other guy will do. By law he has 3 years to make a claim for personal injury, so at any point, your insurer could get hit with a (bogus) claim against you. Moreover, you ought to discolse it to any potential new insurer, as they run checks against a central database and will likely find out - as a non-disclosed incident, it could go against you.