• Tweets

• did you submit your directions
    • They have defended the claim by saying that the job was of unsatisfactory standard and they had to call another carpenter to remedy. My husband has text messages about them losing the keys a second time and also an email. What do they hope to achieve??? Most importantly,  as far as I have seen online, now I need to wait for paperwork from the court, correct?
    • The Notice to Hirer does not comply with the protection of Freedoms Act 2012 Schedule  4 . This is before I ask if Europarks have sent you a copy of the PCN they sent to Arval along with a copy of the hire agreement et. if they haven't done that either you are totally in the clear and have nothing to worry about and nothing to pay. The PCN they have sent you is supposed to be paid by you according to the Act within 21 days. The chucklebuts have stated 28 days which is the time that motorists have to pay. Such a basic and simple thing . The Act came out in 2012 and still they cannot get it right which is very good news for you. Sadly there is no point in telling them- they won't accept it because they lose their chance to make any money out of you. they are hoping that by writing to you demanding money plus sending in their  unregulated debt collectors and sixth rate solicitors that you might be so frightened as to pay them money so that you can sleep at night. Don't be surprised if some of their letters are done in coloured crayons-that's the sort of  level of people you will be dealing with. Makes great bedding for the rabbits though. Euro tend not to be that litigious but while you can safely ignore the debt collectors just keep an eye out for a possible Letter of Claim. They are pretty rare but musn't be ignored. Let us know so that you can send a suitably snotty letter to them showing that you are not afraid of them and are happy to go to Court as you like winning.  
    • They did reply to my defence stating it would fail and enclosed copies of NOA, DN Term letter and account statements. All copies of T&C's that could be reconstructions and the IP address on there resolves to the town where MBNA offices are, not my location
    • Here are 7 of our top tips to help you connect with young people who have left school or otherwise disengaged.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Standard Life paid into wrong bank account

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2963 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

My parents wanted to close down their investment accounts with Standard Life and have the money in their banks so they could access their money more easily. They are in their 80s and are not that bothered about earning interest.

We wrote to Standard Life, at their request, quite clearly stating which bank account to deposit the money.

They paid the money, £27,500, into the wrong account. They paid it into a joint account, which is shared with my brother. Because my brother has been helping himself to the money, we have had to use my Dad's sole current account for any deposits, ie his pensions.

Of course now my brother has stolen the £27,500, transferring it online to his own bank account. He also stole £94 from their joint account.

We are in the process of freezing the joint account. A complaint has been raised with Standard Life as to how they could have made such an error. The woman I spoke to on Thursday said it was their error.

Therefore, if my brother will not pay back the money he affectively 'stole', I would say it is up to Standard Life to recompense us. I would also like compensation for the stress their error has caused.

My Dad has not asked my brother for the money back because he is slightly frightened of him.

Do you think it unreasonable to ask Standard Life for compensation as well as refunding the money?

If you think it is reasonable to ask for compensation, how much would you suggest we ask for?

Ouch.

I have moved your thread to the correct forum - you need do nothing, it is purely an administrative move.

I will alert others on the site team for some advice.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Do you have a copy of the letter you wrote to Standard Life, with the correct bank details ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Yes. and they have the letter on file too.

I asked the woman which bank account details were on the letter. She said it was their error, and although they have a backlog, they have already raised a complaint and are currently investigating.

I am just finding it very scary that they have made payment into a totally different account.

I am sure other caggers with more experience and knowledge will be with you as soon as they can.

BCOBS

Hello there.

I can't really add to what CB has said. I would also have complained to Standard Life, and you have proof of what you say. If you aren't happy with their reply, and I hope they will be honourable, then you need to go to the Financial Ombudsman. You have to exhaust Standard Life's complaints procedure or give them 8 weeks to resolve the problem, from memory.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hi

This is just my opinion with no legal backing to ensure what I say is correct however...

Standard Life should immediately reimburse them with a small level of compensation then they can chase the brother. He knew he wasn't entitled to the cash but took it anyway so that (IMO) is a criminal matter but they could just as easily take him to court for the money.

I would reject any solution from SL that you chase the brother

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

How did SL get the wrong account number?

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

I don't know how they got the wrong account number. That's the worrying thing. I did say to the woman that maybe my brother had called them and told them to put it in the joint account. She said they would never do that.

I also suggested that he might be saying that he is the registered Power of Attorney. I was registered as my Dad's Power of Attorney last month, so if that is the case, they should have checked. She still said they wouldn't have done that. But yes, how did they have that account number?

I hope they do chase him for the money. They need to explain themselves.

We didn't even tell him we'd closed down the accounts, but he knew. Therefore their Financial Advisor must have told him. I asked the FA four times how my brother knew about it. He refused to discuss it, so I have made an official complaint about him to the Financial Ombudsman. They have written to the network the FA belongs to and they have four weeks to reply. (or 3 now, as I complained last week). If I'm still not happy, I will go back to the FO, who will investigate further.

My brother is so used to doing exactly what he wants that now he doesn't have as much control anymore, he is causing trouble. He has been syphoning money from that account for years, and the only person who has challenged him is me. We moved my Dad's money across to his sole current account and left £40 in there.

I can't advise on the initial problem, but I would suggest It would be beneficial to send a SAR request ASAP too, to build a picture of what happened.

Specifically ask for telephone recordings (admitting their error but not telling them), and all details on the account.

This information will assist you in either proof of fraud from your brother or incompetence by standard life.

Mee_too

I agree about the SAR as this could provide useful data.

Re the joint a/c to which the £27.5K was wrongly credited, can you confirm who else was named on the a/c besides your brother.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi SS,

Have you sent off the SAR to Standard Life yet ? SL has 40 days to respond.

You said earlier - "My Dad has not asked my brother for the money back because he is slightly frightened of him."

But if you want this resolved and the money refunded, you may need to report the matter to the police and/or the Court of Protection

The bank may not be willing to repay the money if, as they assert, they've done nothing wrong.

IMHO you need to hold SL responsible for crediting the money to the wrong a/c, if they made an error at that time.

I hope the SAR response will clarify how the money was sent to the wrong a/c in the first place. If your brother was somehow responsible for this, you may need to make a complaint to the police.

I suggest you review the matter of POA if you/your parents are unable to trust your brother absolutely.

Please keep us updated.

Edited by slick132
changed to "if, as they assert"

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

Hi Slick132

SAR letters were posted Recorded Delivery to SL yesterday and should have arrived today. I have emphasised, as suggested here, that we want ALL telephone recordings, particularly as the woman I spoke to said it was their error.

My parents changed the POA this year from him to me. Originally it was me, but he got them to change it to him a few years ago. Since my Dad told him they were changing it back to me for practical reasons (he hasn't lived in the country for 30 years, just wants control), he has done nothing but cause trouble. He got the OPG involved. They saw certificate providers, at the request of the solicitors changing the POA and the OPG/Court of Protection due to my brother's challenge. They said both have capacity to revoke the existing POA. I am now the registered Lasting Power of Attorney, registered last month.

My brother is still objecting to this. I have liaised with the OPG case worker, and emailed her on Sunday about my brother stealing money from them. I asked her to acknowledge my email, but she hasn't yet. (But she has been on holiday, returning yesterday).

I'm not blaming the bank, I spoke to them first. They said one of the people named on the joint account had taken it (obviously my brother), but they were not responsible for other people paying money in. No, it's definitely SL we want answers from. I did suggest calling the Police initially, but my Dad said that was a bit extreme.

Not sure what to do now, I will call SL again tomorrow - it will have been one week since my initial call. If my brother has been responsible, we will want an apology from SL, as well as reimbursement and compensation. And I may well then get the Police involved (and let his wife's family know what he's been up to).

Such a waste of time and energy!!!

I may be misunderstanding but did Standard Life have a record of the power of attorney allowing the brother to act in relation to your parents affairs? Did you inform them that this had been revoked?

edited to add: SL have 8 weeks from your complaint to investigate and provide you with a final decision allowing you to escalate to the ombudsman for free.

Why did you not transfer the money into your dads sole account as soon as you discovered that brother was helping himself, or did he take it in one lump sum ? If you had cancelled the account mandate as soon as you realised, the account would have been frozen instantly.

As much as I agree that SL have made an error and should refund the money, they will argue that they paid the money into an account controlled and accessible by your father.

You really need to make a complaint of theft to the police, but I can see them saying it was a joint account and he was within his rights to remove money from it. It all depends on the account mandate signed when it was opened and whether brother paid any money into the account.

If SL confirm that brother contacted them and had the money re-routed into the joint account then either you or SL will have to make a complaint to the police of fraud by misrepresentation or making/using a false instrument.

If SL confirm that brother contacted them and had the money re-routed into the joint account then either you or SL will have to make a complaint to the police of fraud by misrepresentation or making/using a false instrument.

Misrepresentation is a civil wrong (tort).

The criminal act is "fraud by false representation" (rather than "fraud by misrepresentation").

S2, Fraud Act 2006.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2006/35/section/2

Tsx - I don't know if he told them he was POA, I didn't even think of telling them it had been revoked. Maybe I should write to them and send a copy of the new registration. I gave a copy to their doctor. I thought a doctor had to confirm that a person didn't have capacity anymore before the POA could do anything anyway, and would have to produce receipts to the Court of Protection if necessary.

CrappoMan - he took it in one lump sum. He never paid any money into the account. However, only my Dad's money went in, not my mum's. I did think of checking with the bank if the money had gone in, but really never thought I'd have to. I hadn't set up internet banking until then, because I didn't want to give my bother any opportunity to say I had access to their money. I set up online banking AFTER he stole that money because I was so furious. I have transferred everything else they have to my Dad's account, and we sent a form back to the bank saying to close down the joint savings account and transfer everything to my dad's current account. There will be a recording with the woman at the bank saying it was awful that we couldn't trust a family member.

We rerouted all my Dad's money into his sole account back in March because of my brother syphoning it off, so there was only about £40 in there. My Dad might have access to the account, but he hasn't been using it. We went to the branch and explained that we were moving his direct debits across because my brother had been syphoning money.

They have 2 joint accounts - the current account where the lump sum was deposited, and the savings account. The savings account is being frozen. I am going to try and set up internet banking for my mum. They only just got round to setting up telephone banking. Or I might have to take them to the branch to see if the other lump sum actually went into her account.

Whether SL argue that the money was paid into a joint account or not - my Dad sent a letter specifically telling them which account to pay into, and they didn't. SL have already admitted to me over the phone that it was their error, a complaint has been raised and they are investigating. I also told them twice on the phone that I am now the registered Power of Attorney. I also asked her if he might have taken the money because he said he was POA and she said they still would never do that.

BazzaaS - If we do call the police, how do we prove it's "Fraud by false representation"? I would ask that he provides receipts for the £91 he took from the savings account on the same day, the £4000 he took before Christmas, and other money he transferred into his account. Was he so arrogant he thought we wouldn't check the paper bank statements??

SL were supposed to pay my mum's lump sum into her separate account, and my dad's into his. Only my Dad's money went into the joint account.

I will have to ring SL again today and say I am considering calling the Police. They should have received the SAR by now.

I was close enough.

The fraud offences are only relevant if brother did something he shouldn't, like contact SL to re-route the money. The theft from the joint account is easier to prove especially as you have the bank statements showing the transfers. If brother had never paid any money into the joint account then he can't claim that any of it belonged to him. Hopefully the SAR will show what happened.

The longer you put off calling the police, the more time brother has to spend/hide the money.

I might be barking up the wrong tree on this but Standard Life are negligent and the buck stops with them.

You gave them explicit instructions in writing that the payment was to be credited into xyz account. They failed to do that so are in breach of contract.

Standard life needs to immediately reimburse your parents the full amount and then commence recovery action against the brother. Through the police if necessary