Probate Matter

Zinnia

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2307 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys

My siblings and I are in a legal battle with my late mother's husband. He is being unreasonable regarding her estate but when we last saw him several years ago he was getting old and was quite poorly. We are wondering if he has actually died and his children are making unreasonable demands via their solicitor. How can I find out if he has died? Is there a central register where deaths have to be recorded?

Hello there.

The government site is the General Register Office, who hold all the records for the UK. You can search their records via this link, the only thing I don't know is how up to date they are on recent deaths.

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

You could also try local papers where he lived.

HB

Edited by honeybee13
Link

Illegitimi non carborundum

Hello again.

Having got my new password for the GRO, I'm not sure it's going to help you.

Try looking at the local papers where your stepfather lives or lived and see if there are any announcements about him. If you find he has passed away, you could try speaking to the local register office to see if they can help you at all.

I think there may be an embargo on recent records, with a run off period before they can be in the public domain. My father passed away earlier this year and I can't find him on Ancestry at the moment.

So you're dealing through a solicitor who is putting these demands to you? Can you give us an idea of what kind of demands please and how long this has been going on?

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum