Ryanair taken to court over flight delay claims

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3161 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

A test case of Goel & Trivedi v Ryanair could lead to Ryanair successfully putting a two year time limit on claims, despite the Supreme Court ruling that passengers have SIX years to claim.

Ryanair argue that by accepting the airline’s Terms and Conditions when they buy a ticket, passengers are waiving their right to the six year limitation period.

As Goel & Trivedi v Ryanair is a test case, all Courts in England and Wales are likely to follow the decision.

Most other airlines also have a two year time bar in their Terms and Conditions; if Ryanair win this case, all airlines could potentially put a two year cap on claims.

The Judge gave a reserved judgement (meaning he will hand down his decision at a later date).

http://www.bottonline.co.uk/press-releases/ryanair-fights-passengers-over-how-long-they-have-to-claim

Ryanair loses flight delays compensation case

The Judge has ruled that Ryanair was wrong to bar passenger claims after two years, pointing out that European Union law says they are entitled to make claims for up to six years afterwards.

A Ryanair spokesman said: 'We note this ruling which reverses Lower Court orders that a 2 year time limit for claims is reasonable. Since we believe a 6 year time limit for submitting such claims is both unnecessary and unreasonable, we have instructed our lawyers to immediately appeal this ruling.'

I must say, that I think two years to claim is a reasonable length of time in this case.

I would generally agree with you but the two years start from today and not be retrospective. Now that the general public are more aware of their rights then it is unlikely any claim is going to go over two years before resolution and if a customer starts a court claim, that suspends the limitation period anyway

Many Ryanair customers have waited longer than 2 years for compensation. All existing claims should be settled first

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

I think the problem here is essentially it was an attept to use small print to undermine someones statutory rights.

It is not in the public interest to allow that to happen.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

It falls in with all other claims in civil law in that you have 6 years to start legal action. Ryanair were claiming that their cobtract, which removed that right, was freely entered itno in every case and should stand. They are wrong for the 2 reasons quoted, it is an unfair contract and that supreme court had already ruled on the matter so their continued refusal to consider claims was unlawful (also contempt but that wanst mentioned)

Ryanair are lucky that the Treason Act was repealed by Toby Liar when it was obvious that it could be used against him as they could be facing an awfully long time in chokey otherwise.

It falls in with all other claims in civil law in that you have 6 years to start legal action. Ryanair were claiming that their cobtract, which removed that right, was freely entered itno in every case and should stand. They are wrong for the 2 reasons quoted, it is an unfair contract and that supreme court had already ruled on the matter so their continued refusal to consider claims was unlawful (also contempt but that wanst mentioned)

Ryanair are lucky that the Treason Act was repealed by Toby Liar when it was obvious that it could be used against him as they could be facing an awfully long time in chokey otherwise.

Not all civil claims have a 6 year limitation period.

There is no other company that rips off people like Ryanair

Conniff, I'm sorry, Ryanair are what they are. The service is no frills, reliable and generally on time. They have corrected a lot of the misleading stuff on their website that added to the flight costs and at least you can tell what it's likely to cost if you look carefully. You don't have to spend money on extras on the flight if you don't want to.

Taking France as an example, I would say it's rather more expensive to drive or take the train.

HB

Illegitimi non carborundum

http://www.lawgazette.co.uk/practice/ryanair-faces-610m-claims-bill-after-losing-test-delay-case/5050649.article

judge has ruled that passengers should have six years to claim compensation for a delayed flight in another legal blow for the airline industry.

Ryanair had successfully defended two claims last year when deputy district judge Masheder dismissed them without holding hearings.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D