Jump to content

Elderly Father , Home Ownership and Care Home Question.

Wayne C

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2297 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then


Please click the "Report " link


at the bottom of one of the posts.


If you want to post a new story then


Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 



Recommended Posts

Apologies in advance if I have posted my question in the wrong area but here goes.


My question concerns my father whom sadly has developed dementia which has gradually worsened over these last two years,

both he and my elderly mother live in their own home which was a former council house

which they bought in the right to buy scheme around 20 or so years ago.



My mum looks after him at home with no social services input ( he won't allow them to help him )'

and I travel to help weekly with shaving and bathing etc.



my mum has held off seeking possible nursing home care due to the cost involved,

and that her state pension will be dramatically reduced as all the funds will go to care for dad.



As mentioned they own this home but I have read horror stories of the state taking this home into consideration when care costs are concerned.

Admittedly if my mum still lives in it I don't think this is the case but can anyone suggest options.



I thought that if mum sold the house to me at a fraction of its value then she would be ok possibly. But would this work?,

she wants something to leave to me and my sister as she has no savings as such apart from this house.


Thanks for any help on this.


My mum is concerned and holding off putting him into care as a consequence of this,



am I correct in thinking that if my father lived longer than my mum in the home environment and then had to go into care

, then all of the potential value of their home would go towards his care

and as a consequence there would be nothing left for us children to inherit?,



I know it's a depressing question to ask but mum would like some information if at all possible.

Link to post
Share on other sites

How is the property owned: Is it as 'tenants in common' or as 'joint tenants' ?


The answer shouldn't make any difference to how the local authority view the property as an asset. As long as your mother remains in occupancy, they should disregard the home in their calculations.


If your mother sold the property to you at well below the market value, the L.A. may well view the transaction with suspicion and HMRC could also cause trouble when she passes away. You really need to take legal advice from a qualified solicitor who is conversant with the Care Act, wills, and trusts before going down that road.


As far as care for your father is concerned, the property shouldn't be a factor. However, if/when it is your mother's turn, it could be, hence the recommendation to see a solicitor. Get it right, and the asset should bass to the children without too much trouble. Get it wrong and it could cost everyone involved a great deal of money.





No... you can't eat my brain just yet. I need it a little while longer.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They disregard both the home your mother is living in and your mother's income. The only income taken into account is your father's and I believe half any joint savings, and I believe the first £14250 is disregarded in full.


Selling the home to you for less than its worth or giving it to you is a very bad idea, wouldn't be necessary, and may impact any benefits your mother may be entitled to.


Yes if your Mum passes first, then the home will be taken into account as capital - as it should. The state shouldn't be funding care for people with larger assets.


We're going through the same thing at the moment with FIL, but frankly if MIL passes first then their home should go to fund his care, it is his asset and should ensure he's taken care of properly. The difference between the social service home that is fully funded and the better quality home is about £200 a week, which MIL is able to fund out of savings and with joint family help. But if she passed, we'd still want to ensure that he got the best care rather than worry about any inheritance (and we're on benefits with no savings).

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Link to post
Share on other sites


  • Recently Browsing   0 Caggers

    • No registered users viewing this page.

  • Have we helped you ...?

  • Create New...