Help! Harlands / Xercise 4 Less / Money to be taken tomorrow!!

kjm987
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3014 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone!

I have read previous threads in this forum, but have began panicking and would much appreciate personal help!

Long story short,

my direct debit of £9.99 bounced on the 5th of August due to lack of funds, and I fully admit responsibility.

I was on holiday until Tuesday, and returned to a letter dated 6th August saying that the £9.99 plus £25 admin charge

will be taken from my account on the 16th, and will not be able to stop after the 14th (tomorrow).

I emailed the company on Tuesday (after reading threads advising to stay off the phone)

however have had no reply other than a generic thank you for your email which I received yesterday.

In my email I stated I would be happy to pay the £9.99 on the 16th,

however should they take the £25 I will be unable to pay my next monthly instalment and would need to cancel my membership.

I was hoping they would waive the fee as this is a first time offence.

I haven't used the gym in two months, so would be looking to freeze my membership anyway,

but I don't want to cancel the direct debit if it will result in further letters and a damaged credit rating.

I am desperate to get this sorted today so they don't take money I don't believe is theirs (admin charge).

Any advice would be gratefully received!

As a side note

- I have since looked up my membership terms and conditions, and the email given at the time of joining says

I have paid no admin fee and am paying £9.99 for 11 months.

I joined in the gym, with a member of staff, however she charged me £10 admin fee and I was not told it was a year contract at any point.

Is this enough of a reason to phone the gym and complain?

Again thanks for any help!

phone your bank

cancel the DD

there is no legal remit whatsoever for them to charge any admin fees.

as for you credit file

these accounts do not show

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi KJM and welcome to CAG

I doubt Harlands will waive their admin fee because this was your first bounced DD. This is NOT how they normally work.

But you will get nowhere by phoning the gym or Harlands. Stay off the phone and, if they call you, tell them "In writing only ! " and then hang up.

It may be too late to cancel the DD payment if it is due for payment tomorrow. However, if it is paid by the bank, you can get the full amount refunded under the DD Guarantee Scheme.

The good news is that, if Harlands have tried to take their £25 admin fee on top of the monthly fee, you have good grounds to cancel the gym agreement with immediate effect. The grounds are simply that Harlands are abusing the DD mandate by making you pay unlawful and unenforceable penalties.

Let us know if the DD was paid by the bank, or not.

Then we can help you start dealing with Harlands/CRS.

Do not worry about the threats that Harlands make. They have no power or authority and they will not affect your credit rating.

Also, read other threads here to see how folk deal with Harlands and the problems they cause.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I stand by Slicks advice. YOu will have grounds to cancel it based upon abuse of the DD Mandate. Your bank will be able to claim the money back from them. You shouldnt get any charges and if you do then you complain.

Harlands will pass to CRS and itll go from there, but even so... This wont stand up if it is scrutinised properly.

We could do with some help from you.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

**Fko-Filee**

Receptaculum Ignis

Sorry for the delay in reply! Thank you all for your advice, it has calmed me down!

The £34.99 was taken from my account, so I believe my next step is to contact my bank and ask for it to be refunded as it was unauthorised?

Hi KJM,

Did Harlands take the DD on 14th Aug and was it for £9.99 plus their £25 admin fee.

Is the next DD due around 5th September.

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Hi KJM,

If you DO want to remain a member of the gym, let us know. We can draft a different letter.

If you DON'T want to remain a member, you could now write to Harlands as follows :-

Dear sir or madam,

Membership at Xercise4Less, XXXX [town or city]

My DD payable on 5th August was not paid by my bank and you then applied for the £9.99 payment again, plus a £25 admin fee.

The admin fee on top would leave me in financial difficulty and I have therefore had the full payment refunded by my bank under the DD Guarantee Scheme.

Your admin fee is an unlawful and unenforceable penalty and your attempt to charge this is unfair to me, despite membership T&C's including provision for such charges.

Accordingly, I consider the membership agreement to be unfair and withdraw from it with immediate effect. The DD mandate will be cancelled with my bank.

If you make further demands of me, I will make formal complaints to Trading Standards and to The CMA.

Yours faithfully,

Hi all,

Just had this email through today and wondering how to respond?

We thank you for your email,

One of the terms of this agreement, which you have agreed to be bound by, is that "If you fail to pay any monies due under this agreement or if any Direct Debit is returned unpaid or if any cheque is returned unpaid or if any other form of payment is not honored for whatever reason, you shall pay us on demand an administration fee of £25."

£25 is the amount deemed by our directors as representative of our costs in dealing with the administration involved with a missed or returned payment. When we submit for a payment by Direct Debit which is then returned, we are also charged by the bank. The charge also covers the costs we incur to reapply for the payment out of your regular payment dates and sending letters.

The administration charge cannot be removed as it has been applied correctly as per the terms and conditions of your membership.

Should you wish to cancel your membership you would need to discuss this directly with Xercise 4 Less as simply requestintg the money back and cancelling your Direct Debit does not cancel your membership.

Please note we will continue to chase for outstanding payments and the money that you have claimed back unless we have direct information from Xercise 4 Less to not chase this.

As you have below stated you understood the charge would be applied under the Terms and Conditions then this has been applied correctly and our charges are under the guidelines of the Financial Conduct Authority, this makes the charges lawful and enforcable, should you have felt these were unfair you should not have signed up to the facilities.

For all Enquiries Call Harlands : 01444 449166 () Quote Reference : 32878272 /

Office hours: Monday to Friday, 9am - 5pm

Yours sincerely,

Casey for Harlands

Hi Kjm,

Their comments saying, " ........our charges are under the guideleines of the FCA, ........ " are utter tosh in my opinion.

I see no reason to reply to Harlands as you've already said all you need in your last letter.

Let us know what they send next.

When Harlands/CRS next contact you, I may consider a letter to the gym, as well as complaints to Trading Standards and The CMA. The gym should be made aware that the reason you have cancelled is the unfair manner in which Harlands have treated you.

yep utter tosh

even the FCA call them a penalty regardless of its level

and thus they are unlawful.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Yes, don't even dignify their letter with a response.

Let them add all the admin fees they want - they won't be paid !!

Every time they add their charges, email me, I'll collate them for you... Contact the CMA and lodge a formal complaint with them.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/problem/i-think-theres-an-unfair-term-in-my-contract-what-can-i-do-

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Apologies I haven't been on in quite a while!

I received a letter this morning:

... 'A payment of 34.99 has been issued to your bank for an indemnity claim made by yourself. As explained previously, this payment was due and as such, in line with the terms of your agreement we have applied a 25.00 administration charge meaning that you need to pay 59.99 to clear your arrears.

Please contact us etc. ...

Failure to pay this sum by 23 SEP 15 and reinstate your direct debit instruction for your ongoing contractual instalments will result in further charges.'

Also, I have been receiving texts from 'xercise4les' with rejoining offers, which would suggest I am now no longer a member.

Am I just to continue ignoring?

Whether it's from Harlands, CRS or anyone, ignore it for now,

Replying to them would be a waste of time and paper.

Keep us posted.

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone

Since last post I reviewed another letter from Harlands, same as usual demanding payment. This stood at £164.91, £94.98 of which is arrears and the rest I'm not sure what it's made up of. This letter said to contact by the 7th of October but I ignored it.

I today relieved a letter dated 27th October, from CRS. They've added £66.50 so now say I owe £231.41. This appears to be a standard letter from Rob Avery giving me 3 options, and says they'll cease further letters for 7 days.

Am I to continue ignoring? I refuse to pay it.

Also, been receiving a few suspicious texts which I have kept, the lastest from 'X4L' saying my account has now gone into default and to phone a number. Obviously I'm ignoring this too, but is it normal procedure to send confusing texts from numerous senders?

Thanks all:)