Caught shoplifting - advice please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3170 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there.

I am very ashamed to say I shoplifted two days ago.

I won't go into reasons why but safe to say I am ashamed and regretful.

The store detective caught me with good to value £14 (nappies, fruit).

I was taken to managers office where they called the police.

During the wait they put my two kids in another room (but I could check on them).

They called the police and in that time after talking to the store detective

, he said that as I was cooperating fully he would just ask for a caution from the police and a lifetime ban from the store.

The police took ages and he said that given it was not fair on my kids he would call to cancel them.

When he called the police back it panned out that they hadn't even logged the call out at that point as they were extremely busy.

They let me leave saying a letter would be sent out stating my ban.

He also said in passing that the police may want to catch up with me at some point.

My question is this - are the police likely to pursue this and contact me?

If you think they will, would they actually come to my house?

The shop has my address, name and DOB.

Many thanks for any advice.

I feel sick to my stomach that the police may come and I will never do this again.

Learned my lesson big time.

Hi,

The main point is that the store employee said they'd be cancelling their complaint.

If no crime has been logged then the police won't visit.

Have you heard from the store as yet?

If you have no previous record then try not to worry too much as even if the police visit you

it'll be for a chat and a warning rather than a prosecution.

If possible get the store to put it in writing that they aren't going to pursue the matter.

We all make mistakes in life so hope you do ok from now on!

No I have no heard from them yet. Awaiting a letter.

I am just worried that they log it withe police afterwards they only cancelled the request for the police to come out

because my kids were there (so stupid of me I know- doing such a crazy thing whilst kids there) and it was taking so long.

They did say they just wanted me to have a caution as opposed to being arrested as I didn't have any 'previous'.

I am just scared of the police coming as my kids will be upset by that (should have thought of that before I know).

My kids were thankfully kept in the dark during actual 'event'.

Thanks for taking time to reply to me

Pleased to help so no probs about replying!

It's likely that they will just send out the letter so try not to worry too much.

Even if the worst case scenario unfolds and the police visit they should be relatively discreet so you'll be able to keep the young 'uns out of the situation

. If the police didn't turn up to the actual event then it's not very likely that they'll be involved unless the store specifically requests that they visit.

you wont hear anything from the police

forget about that avenue they are NO involved and neve will be

they'll never get involved for £14

sadly I think the security were laying it on a bit thick to frighten you.

you'll most probably hear from a fleecing lot called RLP.

whatever you do

you TOTALLY IGNORE THEM AND THEIR SCARY LETTERS.

there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING they can do to you.

never ever make any kind of response to them.

I've moved you to the RLP forum

time to read other threads here.

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi and welcome to CAG

For us to assist better (although the advice remains the same) it would help us if you named the store. It won't matter by posting it here. I ask because there are two firms operating civil recovery operation. Retail Loss Prevention and DWF. As far as I am aware DWF act for Sainsbrys and Asda and RLP act for almost every other big name store.

The letters sent will say they want their security costs paid. Tough! They have no claim for security costs.

From what you have said, I feel it highly unlikely the police will get involved as the costs is so small but I am ready to be proved wrong on that.

At the top of this forum are some stickies which lay out what can and cannot be done by these type of firms. Have a good read....and relax :wink:

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

Given the items you attempted to steal, can I ask if you are in financial trouble, and if so have you received advice on maximising your income (ie ensuring you're claiming all the benefits you're entitled to), and dealing with any debts you may have? There are also food banks and charities that may be able to help.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

Hi there. It was coop and I am now seeking financial help thanks. I just didn't want to go to a food bank. Stupid pride :-(

I understand. Glad you're getting the help you need.

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

I have visited many co-ops in my time and I don't recall seeing any civil recovery signs so not sure whether anything else will happen. If it does, please let us know.

If you are asked to deal with any matter via private message, PLEASE report it.

Everything I say is opinion only. If you are unsure on any comment made, you should see a qualified solicitor

Please help CAG. Order this ebook. Now available on Amazon. Please click HERE

To be honest they were great with my kids and I asked them to protect them from hearing what I had done. I was a terrible role model in that moment. They got them magazines for them and were lovely to them. When I came to check on them, the staff played along with my story that it was a bank problem with my card. To be fair I can't fault them. It was all my stupid fault :-(