Been claiming Working Tax Credit but not registered as self-employed (no UTR)

Curtesy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3172 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi folks,

I really, really hope someone can help me out here.

I have been self-employed for 4 or so years but I wasn't registered as self-employed until recently and I am still waiting on my UTR. Since I first became self-employed I have been claiming Working Tax Credit, I recently stopped my claim.

Since the start of being self-employed, I have been earning nothing more than a few thousand per year so I have no outstanding taxes to pay.

However, my problem is with my Working Tax Credit claim. I recently had a letter asking for evidence for my claim, including my UTR. I am still waiting to receive my UTR.

Now I am not sure if not having a UTR is going to affect my Working Tax Credit claim. I know since this April having a UTR prior to making a claim became mandatory but I do not know if this is back-dated?

I know I have been very stupid - I am in the process of sorting all my affairs out but I don't know if I am going to be in trouble as a result of this or not. Can they ask me to repay 4 years WTC on the basis I was not registered as self-employed?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

They could ask you to repay if they do not believe you were genuinely self employed. They should be asking you for more than a UTR to prove this.

However the requirement to be registered for self assessment only began this April and wasn't applied retrospectively.

Thanks for your input. Genuinely appreciated.

They are asking for more than my UTR - they are asking for invoices, nature of work, ads placed etc. Evidence like that shouldn't be an issue.

BTW are they likely to investigate previous years? I've nothing to hide but I would like to know if this is going to drag on as I am currently very, very busy.

You can claim WTC as self-employed as long as you work a minimum number of hours. Normally after year 1 they will ask for some evidence of income such as accounts but if it is all rather small beer and especially if you are claiming other benefits such as CTB they will be happy with just the figures you put on your tax returns and wont question them. I hope that you filled out a tax return for the past years even if you had no UTR.

You can claim WTC as self-employed as long as you work a minimum number of hours. Normally after year 1 they will ask for some evidence of income such as accounts but if it is all rather small beer and especially if you are claiming other benefits such as CTB they will be happy with just the figures you put on your tax returns and wont question them. I hope that you filled out a tax return for the past years even if you had no UTR.

You can't file a tax return without a UTR.

It is also not simply a case of working the required hours but the work must be done in expectation of payment so must be more than a mere hope.