• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 160 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

tv license harrassment

mollymop
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3122 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello

Can anyone please tell me if I am legally obliged to inform tv licensing that I do not need a license. I had informed them via their own website by completing the declaration form. I did this about two years ago when my tv broke and I never got it replaced. I recently had a visit from one of them and told them again that I do not have a tv and didnt let them in. I have now recieved a letter stating "We want to ensure you have the information you may need before a hearing is set at your local court".

I just wondered if I am legally obliged to inform them on a regular basis that I do not need a license.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

I have moved your thread to the appropriate Forum, hopefully you will get some advice shortly.

Regards,

Scott.

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

tell us more about what happened on your doorstep. did you sign anything?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I sent an Email to Capita/TV Licence two years ago saying i do not watch live TV Broadcasts and stop their goons from knocking at my door or deluge with Pseudo official legal letters. They agreed and stated they will contact me in 2 years to see if there has been any change.

The legislation is watching live Broadcasts, not if you have equipment that can receive live Broadcasts. I have my TV hooked up to my computer for the simple fact i have bad eye sight with no Aeriel connected.

There is no statutory requirement to have a TV Licence if you do not watch live TV Broadcasts. Computer, DVD, Games Consuls etc

I now live in Northern Ireland. Just like Bailiffs, TV Licence would be suicide to show their faces around here

Because there are no statutory requirements that states i must let them into my home, let alone communicate with these tax inspectors

17% of magistrate court time is taken up with TV Licence issues, The majority are unemployed women visited in the afternoon to polite to refuse them access or refuse to sign their forms instigated by subterfuge. Not to mention the alleged commission payments these Tax collectors receive

The point i was making is that their is no statutory duty to even communicate with a private commercial company employed on behalf of TV Licence. That being Capita. On the door step or by email

There is no statutory obligation to have a TV Licence if you do not watch live TV Broadcasts

It is down to TV Licence to prove you are watching live TV Broadcasts, or on the balance of probabilities. If they come into your house and see the TV has the Aeriel connected then that will be sufficient. But you deny them access anyway unless they are using RIPA Legislation or a warrant secured through a magistrate. But that will need probable cause such as confirmation you are watching live broadcasts such as witnessing through a window etc and through a witness statement presented to the magistrate

Mollymop

Just do that declaration on line again will be sufficient

The point i was making is that their is no statutory duty to even communicate with a private commercial company employed on behalf of TV Licence. That being Capita. On the door step or by email

There is no statutory obligation to have a TV Licence if you do not watch live TV Broadcasts

It is down to TV Licence to prove you are watching live TV Broadcasts, or on the balance of probabilities. If they come into your house and see the TV has the Aeriel connected then that will be sufficient. But you deny them access anyway unless they are using RIPA Legislation or a warrant secured through a magistrate. But that will need probable cause such as confirmation you are watching live broadcasts such as witnessing through a window etc and through a witness statement presented to the magistrate

Mollymop

Just do that declaration on line again will be sufficient

And I agree with you fully. I don't think there is a need to do the declaration again. There is no lawful requirement to notify them at all, it's their policy to not believe anyone.

The only time you need contact is if you are claiming back 3 months or more license fee that won't be used.

Can we address this issue for the OP please

" I have now recieved a letter stating "We want to ensure you have the information you may need before a hearing is set at your local court"."

Op stated they had a visit from the goons. We need to know what happened at the doorstep so we know whether or not the OP has been spoofed by Goon'd'Crappia

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

My son has a TV but it has NOT been used to watch live tv for the past two years since the aerial broke and we never got it replaced. He only uses it to play on x-box and watch films on netflix. I do watch programmes but this is on my tab through itvplayer or 4od.

I didn't sign anything on the doorstep. I told the guy I didn't have a tv and he said in a very intimidating way, I need to come in and check. I said to him, sorry but you are not coming in and I don't have to prove anything to you. I also told him if TV licensing want to take me to court, that's ok with me.

The letter received gave me the impression that I should have contacted them. The first line reads "you have failed to respond to any of our letters", blah blah blah.....

As long as I am not breaking the law by not informing them, I'm not worried as I have absolutely nothing to hide.

My son has a TV but it has NOT been used to watch live tv for the past two years since the aerial broke and we never got it replaced. He only uses it to play on x-box and watch films on netflix. I do watch programmes but this is on my tab through itvplayer or 4od.

I didn't sign anything on the doorstep. I told the guy I didn't have a tv and he said in a very intimidating way, I need to come in and check. I said to him, sorry but you are not coming in and I don't have to prove anything to you. I also told him if TV licensing want to take me to court, that's ok with me.

The letter received gave me the impression that I should have contacted them. The first line reads "you have failed to respond to any of our letters", blah blah blah.....

As long as I am not breaking the law by not informing them, I'm not worried as I have absolutely nothing to hide.

You say you're watching programmes on your tablet. Are these live? Or just on-demand after the live transmission?

You still need a license if you watch live programmes on a device other than a TV, such as a PC or tablet.

OK no signature thats good

Unless you get a summons form the court, ignore them and tell them to sod iff

in fact as soon as a goon turns up on your door, start filming them :) they love that

No live tv whatsoever, only catchup tv after it has been broadcast through, itvplayer and 4od. It's not possible to watch live tv on either of those as far as I am aware.

ITVplayer does have a live tv option, at least through the website, so that's why I wanted to check after you mentioned that service :)

Read what that letter said. Its a very carefully worded threatogram.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

Damn, I wish I had not thought of filming.

Thank you MaxxPower, I didn't know there was a live option. It got me thinking that I may have accidentally gone onto the live option but I doubt it as I only watch via the app on my tablet.

Damn, I wish I had not thought of filming.

Thank you MaxxPower, I didn't know there was a live option. It got me thinking that I may have accidentally gone onto the live option but I doubt it as I only watch via the app on my tablet.

They won't know even if you have. They just hope you admit to having a TV or watching live TV broadcasts.

As above, they won't know, all they know is that there is no license issued for that address so they go on the attack as if there is a tv, what they are really saying is everyone without a tv license is a liar. I think they must have been schooled at the same doh school at traffic wardens and bailiffs, not everyone wants to watch crap tv.

There are about four cleverly worded missives they get their computers to spit out on a monthly basis, in order to intimidate the uneducated into

funding the corporate elite in the guise of the TV tax.

When you ignore them for a while, and don't speak to them, then they all come addressed to ''The Legal Occupier''.

At this point you can sit back and continue to ignore them as you know you've won.

At the beginning it starts off with, unlicensed property, visit being authorised, what to expect in court, visit, all cleverly worded,

all as equally desperate.

Then they move onto printing some of them in red ink!!! OOoohh scary! Headed ''OFFICIAL WARNING WE HAVE OPENED AN INVESTIGATION''

And when you read their missives carefully, they even use the phrase;

A reminder of the Law,

It is illegal to watch or record blah blah blah.....lie lie lie...

It can't be both, it's either 'illegal' or it's 'unlawful'. They just think were too dumb to question that!

I have around two hundred of their threat letters, I have never paid the TV tax and never will, I have had one ''enforcement'' visit where I simply stood there, arms folded, said nothing, leaning up against MY door staring at him, and when he realised he wasn't going to get his bit of commission, he scurried away.

The very best way to deal with these clowns, is to do nothing, keep the front door firmly shut, if they are dumb enough to start peering through windows, film the goons and report them to the police. You are under absolutely NO legal obligation to even tell them that you don't need a TVL, even though their silly little missives claim that you ''have not responded to our previous letters'', (that's because I'm ignoring you!).

I don't have a driving licence but DVLA don't harass and threaten me with intimidating letters to get one!

Ignore them.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!