Carphone Warehouse in customer data breach

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3178 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Personal details of up to 2.4 million Carphone Warehouse customers may have been accessed in a cyber-attack, the mobile phone retailer says.

Up to 90,000 customers may also have had their encrypted credit card details accessed, it said in a statement.

The affected part of the company operates the OneStopPhoneShop.com, e2save.com and Mobiles.co.uk websites.

It also provides services to iD Mobile, TalkTalk Mobile, Talk Mobile and some Carphone Warehouse customers.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-33835185

Apparently it knew about this last Wednesday and has only just started informing customers !!

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

What can those affected do?

◾Notify your bank and credit card company, so they can monitor activity on your account

◾Change your password for your online account

◾Check your account for any suspicious or unexpected activity

◾Be wary of anyone calling asking for personal information, bank details or passwords

◾Visit Experian or Equifax to check your credit rating to make sure no one has applied for credit in your name

Those who think they have been the victim of fraud should contact Action Fraud on 0300 123 2040.

And of course it is now left for the affected customers to try and deal with this over a weekend when everywhere is closed ?

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Got my email today from mobiles.co.uk which are part of carphone warehouse.

Should we not be demanding they pay for a years worth of subscriptions to the credit reference agencies with alerts etc?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Got my email today from mobiles.co.uk which are part of carphone warehouse.

Should we not be demanding they pay for a years worth of subscriptions to the credit reference agencies with alerts etc?

I guess if you don't ask, you don't get ?

I reckon they will wait until someone finds they have an Identity Theft problem and will then force you to prove it was down to their incompetence !

BCOBS

This is relevant

At One PM today i received a phone call from a lady saying she was from Barclays and originated i have no doubt from an overseas calls centre such as Mumbai

She said that the Barclay's online banking app had been upgraded to exciting more services. She even gave me the last six digits of my debit card and wanted me to give details to pass security.

I politely terminated the call

Now in 2010 i did have an account with Carphone warehouse.

I went into my local Barclay's and reported it and she was unaware of any changes to the online banking app

My wife received a telephone yesterday which stated the number 00102 which is known for being a [problem] claiming they work for Microsoft, Today I have received two telephone calls one claiming to be from a bank(Natwest) and one from a "company" investigating a possible fraud on my mobile phone.....LOL.. The first one knew a number of details about my account (closed three years ago) and the second call knew my post code etc. Like capquest I also had an account with CPW. My wife and I have both changed all our passwords etc but I am wondering just how much Data as been lost and have I the right to ask what information concerning my wife and I as been lost.

Update on my last my wife rang Natwest (still as an account). They stated that they have been given a list of all customers whose data "may" have been lost. She was then put through to the fraud office. They spoke to me about the telephone calls and as a result have put a watch on her account and have cancelled her card and will issue her another one.

Update on my last my wife rang Natwest (still as an account). They stated that they have been given a list of all customers whose data "may" have been lost. She was then put through to the fraud office. They spoke to me about the telephone calls and as a result have put a watch on her account and have cancelled her card and will issue her another one.

I suspect you will still need to keep an eye on your accounts and credit files, mr mastiff.

BCOBS

I think we shoudl be writing to mps demanding that legislation is put in place that in the event of one of these types of breaches that the data controller should be buying the victims a years worth of subscriptions to the CRAs

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

I had an email from Talk Talk advising me what to do, this resulted in cancelling credit cards and informing my Bank. My Bank advised me also to register with Experian because the information taken could lead to someone taking a loan in my name. The problem with this is that it could be in the foreseeable future, therefore I have to pay £14.99 a month to keep a check. Talk Talk don't seem to think its their responsibility, but it is with them I have my contracts and them I entrusted my details. I have threatened to terminate my contracts, and don't see why I should pay the penalties, as they are going to cost me over £100, plus the stress of this weekend. Can anyone advise me on how I stand, I have sent a letter to Talk Talk.

Garsan, Try noodle I think it is still free, write a letter to talktalk mark it formal complaint at the top, if all else fails email the CEO of talktalk. dido.harding@talktalkplc. com I received an answer within 4 hours. Write exactly what as happened to you with the advice that as been given. In the first email that Dido sent back to me she said that someone would ring me. Which they did. I was still unhappy and again emailed the CEO stating clearly why they had failed to resolve my complaint. within a short time I was rang by a manager from the CEOs office who told me he know owned my complaint. The matter was very quickly resolved. Your problem at the present time is that until someone uses that information to defraud then there is not a lot you can do except ask the bank to maintain a security watch on your accounts. CPW as lost your Data but I think it will need a court case to prove negligence.