Barclays bank and debit card fraud

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2107 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, hopefully I'm posting this in the right section :)

To cut a long story short, my mum went to Uganda back in May, during her time there [i suspect] she was a victim of 'skimming' and around £700 went missing from her bank account. When she got back to the UK, we took a look at her statement and the ~£700 was withdrawn from various ATM's around Kampala in increments over a few days.

Barclays bank did initially cover my mum's losses whilst they supposedly opened an investigation, but just a few days ago, they basically sent her a letter saying that because her card uses the chip and pin stuff, it had to be her withdrawing the cash and that she needs to pay all of the money back.

I've done a bit of reading and banks in the UK don't seem to acknowledge that skimming a chip and pin debit card is a thing and automatically place the blame on the victim of the fraud. Is there anything at all that my mum and I can do?

Thanks in advance :)

prove she was elsewhere should be easy?

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Hi AntiDuck,

Keep all communication in writing only, never discuss this with them by phone unless you record the calls.

Please confirm exactly what they say about YM's actions and/or responsibility.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)

I'm not sure how she'd go about proving she was elsewhere when money was withdrawn from her account, some of the cash was withdrawn from ATM machines in places that she's never even been to in Uganda but how does she physically prove that?

My mum is about 80% deaf, so luckily she hasn't spoken to them on the phone but unfortunately, she can't hear word for word what people are saying to her, I'm not sure what the letter says, but my mum did go to her branch where they told her that her card is a chip and pin debit card so it had to be her using it, which makes sense as bank do not acknowledge that chip and pin bank cards can be copied.

Hi ADuck,

You need to let us know what the bank said - only then can we suggest how to resond.

:-)

We could do with some help from you

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?  Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Please give something if you can. We all give our time free of charge but the site has bills to pay.

Thanks !:-)