Shop Direct ongoing nightmare

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3132 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I returned goods to Very (shop direct group) total value £1100 in December last year.

I provided proof of returns when the items apparently went missing.

Very claim the return codes I provided were used to return other goods.

The problem seems to be a returns number is used for each parcel not each item,

therefore as there is usually multiple items in each parcel delivered and returned

I have no way to prove the missing items we're in those parcels.

The parcels are collected from home by courier and pass through different depts before reaching very returns centre.

I took this matter to the ombudsman who decided after many weeks that we would probably never know what happened to the items

but we would still be liable to pay.

I have been a customer with very for over 8 years and spent many thousands of pounds and feel I have been treated appallingly.

Can anyone advise what I should do next?

Edited by Honeybun1989

So you have proof of sending the items back, and they use their own courier?

Then IMO they should be asking their courier to reimburse them, it is ridiculous to send each item back individually!

I wouldn't even offer to pay for the missing items, if they demand it, then close your account and go elsewhere.

You could write to them and inform them of your loyalty over the years, not that they will care, you're just profit to them.

Or contact the CEO.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Thanks for your response .. I do have the proof of returns, the problem is they say it corresponds with other returned items (as I said, as there is more than one item in the returned parcel)

There couriers are supplied by Yodel .. I have sent many, many e mails and contacted their customer excellence team.

The trouble is, they won't close the account until I have paid for the missing items and say the will put a default on my credit file and pursue me for the payment ..

customer excellence team.

That made me chuckle!

So how far into their 'excellent' complaints procedure are you?

Who cares if they won't close the account, the fact is their courier, or their staff, lost the items you returned, you have proof that you returned them,

albeit in the same parcel.

Does it say that it is your responsibility to ensure items are returned individually anywhere in the T&C's?

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Lol!! Me too

They sent me a final report and said as far as they were concerned the matter was closed and we had to pay.

They advised if I was unhappy to contact the ombudsman, which I did. The ombudsman after many weeks decided there was nothing they could do.

There is nothing in the T&C's that say items have to be returned individually.

In one of the e mails from the ombudsman they clarified that shop direct had admitted they only provide 1 receipt per parcel and not per item.

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond, this has really been a nightmare and has caused me so much stress

There is nothing in the T&C's that say items have to be returned individually.

In one of the e mails from the ombudsman they clarified that shop direct had admitted they only provide 1 receipt per parcel and not per item.

There you go then, you've answered it...

They don't and won't have a leg to stand on IMO.

Pay them nothing, and AFAIK the ombudsman's decision isn't legally binding? But someone will put me right if that's incorrect...

No I'm wrong!!!

It appears it is but ONLY if you agree with it....http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/factsheets/final_decision.pdf

I'd still dispute their findings.

Thank you so much for that ..

When I purchased the items, they were purchased on a BNPL agreement (over 12 months) now they have been returned and I shouldn't owe them any money.

The problems will start at the end of October when the money would have been due. I've been told by shop direct that they will add interest and late payment charges until the balance is clear.

I'm of the same opinion as you, I'm just not sure how to proceed further ..

Thanks again, you've been a great help!!

I've been told by shop direct that they will add interest and late payment charges until the balance is clear.

Let them, you won't be paying them!

If you don't owe them anything now then I'd vote with my feet.

However the dilemma comes when they attempt taking payments for items you don't own, they then act like petulant little children

and start marking credit files and sending out reams of deforestation in an attempt to intimidate you into paying money you don't owe.

So you've got nigh on 12 weeks to get this sorted, I'd start with going back to the FOS and telling them that you are not happy with their decision and want it looking at again.

I'd also be emailing the CEO of shop direct and having them look at their ridiculous returns policy, you'll probably

get more mileage out of the CEO, that is if they're bothered about their customers.

Aside from that good ole BBC Watchdog, and the British media/press...

http://www.ceoemail.com/index-search.php

https://ssl.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mg74/contact

I do have an outstanding balance with shop direct, but that will be cleared very soon.

I did tell the FOS I was unhappy with their decision, unfortunately that got me nowhere. Shop direct have a dedicated team that deal with FOS complaints (that says a lot)

I did e mail the CEO but unfortunately that was passed straight to the customer excellence department.

My best bet may be to contact watchdog.

Once again, many thanks

Shop direct have a dedicated team that deal with FOS complaints (that says a lot)

Speaks volumes!!!

• 5 weeks later...

I do not think you would need to pay and then go to small claims.

They have registered this amount to your account. You shoudl sue in the small claims for the amount and any fees and interest charged on it.

They will of course say that you have not paid that amount.

Your counter argument is they have declared it as a debt in your name and therefore the amount you claim can be used to offset the debt.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

There you go then, you've answered it...

They don't and won't have a leg to stand on IMO.

Pay them nothing, and AFAIK the ombudsman's decision isn't legally binding? But someone will put me right if that's incorrect...

No I'm wrong!!!

It appears it is but ONLY if you agree with it....http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/publications/factsheets/final_decision.pdf

I'd still dispute their findings.

Any Ombudsman decision is binding on the company but not on the consumer.

Honeybun, was the decision you received, from a first tier adjudicator or an Ombudsman proper ? If it was an adjudicator decision, you should reject it and insist that your complaint is escalated to an Ombudsman. You can add to your complaint if you feel that it has been misunderstood.

And yes, should it get to the stage where a claim is issued or you want to issue a claim against the company, we can help you :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

I was sent a report on the 23rd of June saying the complaint would not be upheld .. It is signed with the persons name, then adjudicator FOS

I was told the case was now closed so assumed I could take it no further with them.

Many thanks for your help

I was sent a report on the 23rd of June saying the complaint would not be upheld .. It is signed with the persons name, then adjudicator FOS

I was told the case was now closed so assumed I could take it no further with them.

Many thanks for your help

Without sight of that letter it's hard to advise.

Read it again, does it mean that the complaint you had regarding SD isn't upheld and is now closed?

I doubt it means that you cannot make a complaint about the FOS service.

Thank you ..

I have copied a part of the e mail below, I hope this helps ..

I have now concluded my investigation and cannot uphold your complaint with Shop Direct.

I am sorry there is nothing further I can do to help. This complaint has now been closed, but if you would like to discuss this claim with me again or have any questions get in touch with me again over the next few days ..

Name

Adjudicator

FOS

Relax, there is no rush, others will advise in good time.

I'll go back over the whole thread and see if (IMO) any things been missed.

Give this a bump tomorrow when I'm in a better frame of mind, but you should complain too the FOS about the FOS, inform them that they always side with the corporation, and never with the consumer therefore you feel their ''investigation'' biased, one sided & holds zero legal merit.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

After the advice I had been given, I asked the adjudicator to pass the case on to the ombudsman ..

I have received a reply from them saying they do not uphold my complaint.

Is my only option to take this to the small claims court? What would happen if they don't uphold the complaint either?

Thank you