can DCAs add £40 for every letter - re a Vets bill

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3177 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Asked if I could pay an old vets bill in three stages only to be emailed by DCA who had added another £70 but offered to take off £30 for an unposted letter. They addes £40 for the first letter.

I did not think they could do this. Am I wrong?

Edited by Sara55
omission from text

as far as i know, they have no contractual grounds ot add those fees

and if they did, they would be an unlawful penalty

Name and shame the vet and dca please

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

Has the debt been sold to them or are they working on behalf of the vets?

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

New Malden Vets are refusing to pass on my dogs records until we agree to pay the extra charges. Our dog has severe diarhrea and is losing weight rapidly and needs to see a vet urgently but the other vet needs the records.

We have offered to clear the debt with the vet over 3 payments within one month but they simply pass us onto the DCA.

Today I have received one of the two letters they have charged us for. Not sure what happened to the first or the supposed telephone calls they made. It reads: Our client - New Malden Vets, so they haven't sold the debt on.

You need to register an official complaint with senior Vet at New Maldon. They are putting the health of your Dog at risk, because another Vet needs the records. They cannot withold records if it endagers the health of an animal. Otherwise they risk action by the professional body they belong to.

The DCA cannot charge you anything. You can pay New Maldon Vets directly, when you can.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

Thanks UncleBulgaria, but is the senior vet/partner, Margo Scott, who has passed on our email offer to the DCA rather than answering us directly.

There is a complaints process.

https://www.rcvs.org.uk/document-library/making-a-complaint-to-the-rcvs-about-a-veterinary-surgeon/2complaint-form-vets-ext.pdf

Phone the Vets practice and advise that unless they release the records you will complain to the RCVS that the Vet is willing to endanger health of an animal over late payment of a bill.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

And also do not worry about hte DCA

They are powerless

They are not Baliffs

They cannot take you to court, only the vets would have that option (Or the legal owner of the debt if they sold it)

I have given the DCA a full day to explain the validity of the "added debt fees and letter fees". Heard nothing and their client is now their former client dealing directly with me.

From what I can see they have attempted to add £66 for one letter I have received and another supposedly sent sometime earlier in July. I believe this action is illegal, and any complaint I make against them is for the benefit of any vunerable people who may be taken in by their methods and panicked into making payments they cannot affortd in order to avoid further charges.

Should I complain to their local trading standards office?

You won't hear anything from the dca. They just want money. They can't do anything anyway.

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

They do complain. The dcas ignore everyone and do what they want, and a lot of the time the regulators give them a slapped wrist and nothing more

Any advice i give is my own and is based solely on personal experience. If in any doubt about a situation , please contact a certified legal representative or debt counsellor..

If my advice helps you, click the star icon at the bottom of my post and feel free to say thanks

:D

surely another vets shouldn't need you dogs records before treating him? What about if you buy a dog from someone or get a rescue dog and get no records? I thought they were in business to help animals. I would try another vet or maybe your local PDSA. I hope your dog gets the treatment he needs x

Thanks Duffers Mum, I can get around the previous records and after following Uncle B's advice the senior partner at the vets came back in a panic and said she would pass on all records before anything was paid. I was just trying to be fair and say as one small business to another I owe you money and I will pay you within the next 30 days. However, the vets played silly buggers and passed on my email to the DCA to answer.

Anyway, seeing new vets at 9.10am tomorrow.

Did you make your offer of payment in writing? And whether or not you did, I'd advise following through on your offered payment scheme.

If you didn't put in writing, do so now and explain the payments made and promised.

They are wrong to withold records and put your dog at risk.

Also, only send correspondence to the vet. Forget the dca.

The point here is to have proof in writing (retain copies of letters and proof of posting OR emails) that you are being reasonable.

None of this excuses the witholding of records by the way. Others have advised on what to do here.

My advice is to make sure that they cannot blame you and strengthen your hand.

Just my opinion

CAG has helped me so much since I joined. Based on what I have learnt from others on here and my own experiences, I try to chip in and help others from time to time. I am not an expert and give my opinion only. Always check with the more experienced CAG members before making important decisions.

:-)

So does unlawful mean you shouldn't do rather than you can't do it?

Unlawful means it us not something technically illegal.

Illegal means there is law, saying it is not allowed.

Glad you resolved records issue and have a new Vets appointment.

If you have problems with any professional, always use threat of reporting them to their professional body. If their integrity is at stake, they won't take a risk. There is usually a code of ethics that applies.

Did you make your offer of payment in writing? And whether or not you did, I'd advise following through on your offered payment scheme.

If you didn't put in writing, do so now and explain the payments made and promised.

They are wrong to withold records and put your dog at risk.

Also, only send correspondence to the vet. Forget the dca.

The point here is to have proof in writing (retain copies of letters and proof of posting OR emails) that you are being reasonable.

None of this excuses the witholding of records by the way. Others have advised on what to do here.

My advice is to make sure that they cannot blame you and strengthen your hand.

Just my opinion

I wrote that hours ago and just hit submit

Glad you have a new appt. ☺

CAG has helped me so much since I joined. Based on what I have learnt from others on here and my own experiences, I try to chip in and help others from time to time. I am not an expert and give my opinion only. Always check with the more experienced CAG members before making important decisions.

:-)

Illegal is criminal law - eg something the police deal with

Unlawful normally implies Civil Law, something you sue for in the courts.

Im glad you are getting the records now and well done for standing your ground.

I hope poor doggie gets well soon