• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

RBS PPI low offer received

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3177 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Some advice needed. I have received an offer of redress from RBS regarding PPI on an old Natwest credit card. I used the FOS Running sheet to calculate the amount due. I have all the statements for the card (1989 - 2006). I sent copies of the statements to them along with what I have calculated to be the amount due - just under £14000 in 2006 plus stat. interest since then of approx £10000. A total of £24000.

They seem to have ignored what I sent them and made an offer of under £3000. From the small amount of information they provided, it appears they haven't even been able to add up the PPI premiums correctly or calculate the compound interest that they charged me. They say that it's their final offer. I asked them (over the phone) to send a breakdown of their calculations and they refused to provide any more detail.

I have spoken to the Ombudsman and I have to say that I'm not filled with confidence in their abilities. She seemed confused about compound interest being re-funded, which is the biggest part of the claim. I've also heard of 9 - 12 month processing times.

Any advice on what to do next would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

What interest rates were you charged, and what average rate did you use on your spreadsheet?

What was the total of premiums paid?

Were you in credit /zero balance during the duration that you were charged PPI?

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

Hi, thanks for the fast response. Interest rates between 29 and 18 percent. Used a rate of 25.3% as an average. Total premiums were £1421.38

Most of the time there was a balance on it. I included late payment charges in the claim as most of these were applied when I would have been in credit according to the sheet.

I pointed out to them that I had included these charges in my calculation.

Charges are a separate claim . your figures seem quite high for 1421 in premiums even starting 1989

Redo your spread minus charges and post it up please

Any help I am able to give is from my own experience only. Should you have any doubt you should contact a qualified professional.

You don't need 10 posts. Just follow the instructions on the link below.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?431533-How-to-Upload-Documents-Images-on-CAG-Immediately-(you-do-not-need-10-posts)

It is best to convert any document to pdf format though and keep your file size low. I think you will only be permitted to upload a total of 4MB .

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Thanks for that citizenB. I was looking for some instructions although I managed to work it out when I clicked "go advanced".

Regarding the above sheet, I'm sure I read on another thread to include charges for late payment if the money they owed you put you in credit.

I decided to incude as much as possible on the grounds that any offer would be in full and final settlement etc.

For reclaiming, charges are a separate issue - however, some companies recognise that if you hadn't had the PPI then the default/penalty charges wouldn't have been applied so in their calculations these are included.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

For reclaiming, charges are a separate issue - however, some companies recognise that if you hadn't had the PPI then the default/penalty charges wouldn't have been applied so in their calculations these are included.

Yes, this is what I thought. I wanted to try to deal with it as one issue.

Has anyone had a chance to look at the spreadsheet I did? I've taken out the late payment charges etc. The amount it came up with looked very high to me as well.

Just need to know whether I should accept their offer.

Are you running to the date they stopped charging interest ?

Do a cross check using FOS CI sheet plus stat int sheet from date they stopped charging

Given the size of the premiums, seems far too large

Just checked with the CI sheet you mentioned and it calculates the compound interest to be £7912. The FOS sheet calculated it to be £10224.

Shouldn't they be the same? Should I believe either of them?

Here is a copy of the CI sheet:

theoldrouge, not sure what you meant by "Are you running to the date they stopped charging interest ?". I just entered all the statements into the fosrunning sheet (non missing) from when the account opened in 1989 to when it closed in 2006. I am not calculating up to todays date if that's what you mean. The simple interest is the easy bit from 2006 to now.

The balance column on the fosrunning matches the balance on the statement. I assume it should, otherwise it couldn't calculate the card balance excluding ppi and therefore the simple interest due on the credit balance. The card balance is calculated by the sheet, so it is a good cross check that you've put the monthly spend and payment amounts in correctly. I'm not sure how it could go wrong unless you start altering formulas, which I haven't.

Btw, RBS have calculated the "compound interest on premiums" to be £265. I have no idea how they have calculated that figure.

If the amount RBS are offering is less than it should be, I've got some questions about how to go about getting it off them, via fos or court.

I can't move on to that until I'm sure what they owe me. Help!

my opinion is that calc is much nearer the mark, but will be slightly lower given the periods when the card was in credit

You need to demand as strongly as possible that rbs review their calculations which are clearly wrong

Thanks theoldrouge, but I think I might have made a gaff with the fosrunning spreadsheet.

As mentioned before, I entered the figures from the statements. Total spend and total payments from the statement on each row.

This then gives a running balance the same as the statements. However, it doesn't take into account whether interest was charged that month or not. It charges compound interest on all the PPI payments, giving a very high figure.

If I take the payment from the following month statement and enter that into the row instead, first I get a load of errors because the sheet doesn't seem to like zeros. If I then replace the zero spend / payments with 0.01 I get figures very similar to what the bank have come up with! The card balance which initially matched what it said on the statements disappears to be replaced with what I assume is the balance that they have charged interest on. I think I've confused statement balance with card balance.

I actually tried to fill in the sheet like this first, but because of the errors I got with the zero spend and payments, I assumed I'd done it wrong.

A few questions:

Do you think the sheet (attached) now looks correct and that I should accept their offer?

I don't understand why it doesn't appear to be adding statutory interest to the PPI premiums. I know you use the StatIntSheet from 2006 to todays date, but shouldn't this be added from 1989? It just calculates compound interest that I've been charged and interest on a positive balance. Should it do this?

What use is the FOSCISheet or CISheet for a credit card account when it doesn't take into account whether you have actually been charged compound interest on the premiums?

Because you were making such large monthly payments for most of the time, compound interest would be very limited

The FOSCI sheet really only works when continually making minimum payments each month

and is a rough guide at best

I am still not convinced by the rbs offer, and I would ask as strongly as possible(demand) that they recalculate and show you their calculations

As oldrouge has mentioned - demand that you receive a complete breakdown of premiums etc from RBS.

I had to on numerous occasions and eventually received them. Also get them to confirm what interest rate was used for calculations as mine were variable and in the end they refunded the extra.

Good luck.