style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 2924 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

During the last few weeks, apparently more than 2000 migrants have managed to get through security in Calais and are now in the UK. Theresa May is refusing to comment on this, as it does not make sense to publicise successful illegal migration. It would just encourage more to come.

The new fences around the Calais Eurotunnel terminal are not working properly. They were put up in a hurry and are not robust enough to stop people. Some MP's are calling for the British army to be sent to Calais, which is unlikely as the French would not allow it. Also to turn the Eurotunnel terminal into a military controlled area would be pretty drastic action to take.

What is the answer ? Migrants want to come to the UK and it is very difficult to stop them. Most have destroyed all of their identity documents, so even if they were rounded up by the French, it would not be easy to process them. I.e to establish genuine refugees from economic migrants. It would not be easy to return the migrants home.

My suggestion would be to find an African country willing to act as a migrant assessment centre. Then to round up migrants and fly them to the assessment centre to decide what to do. Advise the people that they would not have any chance of going to the UK unless they cooperated. I.e to reveal true identity and provide all info requested. Then to return as many to country of origin as possible. For genuine refugees that would be harmed by return to home country, the EU should have a shared quota system, with the UK accepting some.

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

If you want advice on your thread please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Send them all to Somalia. If they have destroyed their documents, that is their problem.

It cannot continue as it is. There are many thousands in transit heading for Calais. If they don't take action soon, they will have migrants getting into the tunnel under the cover of dark winter nights. Then there will be more deaths.

The US has similar problems on its southern border, but it has a wide border area, which it spends a fortune securing. There was a programme on the San Diego border point with Mexico. It showed the hours people spent being checked. They have a large numbers of heavily armed Police, sniffer dogs and helicopters.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

some of these have sailed across the med.

id be more worried if they realised they could do the same across the channel

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

By the time they reach Calais they have no money left. If they did some of our more seedy entrepreneurs would leap at the chance to provide the means for them to cross the Channel.

It is about time the sources of the whole problem were dealt with. But fat chance of that so the mass migrations of those that are desperate to escape the hell of civil wars, lawlessness and abject poverty will continue.

Historians can look at the eventual fall of the Roman Empire in the West that was partially due to mass migrations from Central Asia. This problem is going to continue to worsen as current policy is similar to Canute ordering the tide to reverse itself.

The whole situation is a joke. France wont do anything to help, the camp now has showers, shops and a mosque. the French know that the better the conditions, the more will join in and eventually they will make it across the channel so less cost and problem for France.

Our PM continually says 'we need to tackle it at source'. We know that, so get your arse off your bench and do something to tackle the source.

The so called improvements - showers and the like are nothing to do with the French Government. It is charities that are providing much of the aid these desperate people are getting.

A lot of the critics of these migrants should try putting themselves into their shoes and think about what they would do in similar situations. Also the French Government is probably doing much more to help then the British Government would if the situation was reversed. Can you imagine a British Government allowing French passport control in Dover - whilst we have this facility provided by the French in Calais. If the French withdrew their help the situation would be 100's of times worse.

But the French are allowing it, no other country would stand by and watch a so-called camp like this expand into a village.

As for putting ourselves in their place, why should we, this is all of their own making, stand up to the **** who are ruining their own country and make it better.

Despite the £trillians that has been put into these countries by overseas aid, they haven't improved one tiny bit.

Those who want/need to cross should now take the Belgium route and let the French port fall into ruin.

fair points.

seems one way is to not let britain be seen as a country that wont send (non genuine) people back, given the reports re that?

The problem is that the French won't process these migrants, to decide whether they are genuine refugees or economic migrants. They have destroyed their identity papers and have little money left. The French do not provide any money to them, with only charities assisting with basic needs.

The solution must be for the EU to tell France and all other EU countries to deal with these migrants as soon as they become aware of them. If that happend, most would have been dealt with long before they got near the UK. The migrants need to be told that they will be taken to a place of safety to be assessed. There should be secure facilities in countries to deal with this. If the migrants refuse to cooperate, then there should be options to fly them to refugee centres in Africa or other place close to country of origin.

The problem they have is that when migrants reach UK or other countries, they find paid work and then go online to their friends back home telling them of their new life. This encourages more and more to come. If the UK and others keep accepting illegal migration, it will just keep going on and on. At some point, someone has to say no and find a safe way to return people.

I find it quite strange that despite the migrants being aware they aren't wanted - they still persist in trying to get to Britain.

Our coastlines are crumbling

We don't have sufficient decent housing for the population already here.

Proper sustainable employment is not happening, despite reports to the contrary.

There are people in this country whose income is below the poverty level (ok, not the same type of poverty as those migrants fleeing from)

Our NHS is falling apart

Our state support system is not coping with those it already has to support

The UK simply cannot afford to have a deluge of migrants.

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

France sees it as our problem because the migrants WANT to come here.

If there was no way for the migrants to enter this country, France would almost certainly be trying to divert them to other countries as long as it wasn't theirs !!

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

If there was no way for the migrants to enter this country, France would almost certainly be trying to divert them to other countries as long as it wasn't theirs !!

Cameron should be doing more to encourage the French to take action. Why not use some of the foreign aid budget to help the migrants find a place of safety. I.e their home country or where they can be accepted. It is going to take a lot of work. It will mean migrants being forcefully taken into secure accommodation. But it is for their safety and of others, because if this continues it means more migrants dying on their journeys.

I am pro EU, but they have been severly lacking in taking any role in dealing with this issue.

Call be cynical, if we did not bomb the frac out of these countries, destroy their infrastructure and homes, Let alone only allow the rebuilding programs by Anglo US companies, what do you expect??

Every action has a consequence, and these people are human beings who are in the majority desperate

Call be cynical, if we did not bomb the frac out of these countries, destroy their infrastructure and homes, Let alone only allow the rebuilding programs by Anglo US companies, what do you expect??

Every action has a consequence, and these people are human beings who are in the majority desperate

Agreed.

Should there be a differentiation between asylum seekers and "economic migrants", though?

Asylum seekers gain additional rights over those of economic migrants, but should seek asylum in the first safe country they reach. If they are in France they can't claim "have to get to the UK to claim asylum".

Economic migrant : comply with UK law. Don't attempt to storm tunnel entrances / or (attempt to/ ) enter the UK illegally.

Let it be known that to do so will mean you'll become ineligible to lawfully settle in the UK.

Arrange for DNA, fingerprints & photos to be taken from transgressors.

Conflict of interest : my ancestors (100+ years back) were "economic migrants" (lawfully). I've nothing against economic migrants who migrate lawfully.

I've nothing against legitimate asylum seekers settling in the first safe country they reach (even if that is the UK, since those are the UN's rules on "seeking asylum").

I'm against unlawful economic migrants, or asylum seekers who want to pick and choose which country they claim asylum in even after they are in a safe country.

Can you imagine if British people were to attempt to enter Australia, New Zealand, Canada, America in this way ?

BCOBS

I find a few of these remarks rather offensive, though expect no different from the source.

If I lived in a place where the standard of living was appalling, where there may be war or gangs or heinous state abuses, where me or my family go hungry regularly, where we might be subject to violence or rampant crime - and then I hear of places where they give you money (and in fact France give a higher allowance than the UK to single or couple asylum seekers) and somewhere to live, where I could get healthcare (and France provides free healthcare), and get work and the standard of living is higher than anything I had experience, then I'd try to relocate myself and my family to a country that provided those things too. I don't blame anyone for trying to improve their life - we only have one and it must be awful to be living in a bad situation and hearing of those that have it so much better. The world got smaller, and it's so much easier to find out just how badly you did in the 'birth lottery'. Before easy global communications, media, internet it would have been so much easier to just accept that this was just how life is. Life may also have been better, considering how we've (1st world countries) cut gallivanted across the world (exploring) destabilising, pillaging, and negatively impacting many of the countries where these migrants come from.

Yes we have to control our borders and protect our limited resources, but we can show some empathy and understanding.

Some of these migrants go from country to country fueled by misinformation and tales of far exaggerated opportunities of some countries - particularly the UK which has a more attractive Americanised culture and is (obviously) English speaking.

Edited by estellyn
missing word

We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office ~ Aesop

"Obviously English Speaking"

Have you been to some of our inner cities recently? The Immigrants often speak BETTER English XD

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

heres a DM article re that :)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3181691/Hamad-s-fast-track-Eldorado-Sudanese-migrant-Italy-five-weeks-ago-UK-thanks-free-train-rides-Europe-wants-family-join-him.html

I find a few of these remarks rather offensive, though expect no different from the source.

If I lived in a place where the standard of living was appalling, where there may be war or gangs or heinous state abuses, where me or my family go hungry regularly, where we might be subject to violence or rampant crime - and then I hear of places where they give you money (and in fact France give a higher allowance than the UK to single or couple asylum seekers) and somewhere to live, where I could get healthcare (and France provides free healthcare), and get work and the standard of living is higher than anything I had experience, then I'd try to relocate myself and my family to a country that provided those things too. I don't blame anyone for trying to improve their life - we only have one and it must be awful to be living in a bad situation and hearing of those that have it so much better. The world got smaller, and it's so much easier to find out just how badly you did in the 'birth lottery'. Before easy global communications, media, internet it would have been so much easier to just accept that this was just how life is. Life may also have been better, considering how we've (1st world countries) cut gallivanted across the world (exploring) destabilising, pillaging, and negatively impacting many of the countries where these migrants come from.

Yes we have to control our borders and protect our limited resources, but we can show some empathy and understanding.

Some of these migrants go from country to country fueled by misinformation and tales of far exaggerated opportunities of some countries - particularly the UK which has a more attractive Americanised culture and is (obviously) English speaking.

Why should we show empathy? You said yourself France offers more so why don't they settle there.

Why should we show empathy?

Not all of us in the United Kingdom are "Insular Apes" With the "Little Englander" mentality

It is called having a moral and social responsibility to another human being

Or do you subscribe to the Katie Hopkins logic of them being nothing more than Cockroaches to be exterminated??

If we just kept our noses out of other countries business then perhaps we would not have this situation to attend to now

That isn't very helpful, CWK, in fact it is insulting.

BCOBS