Tesco up minimum spend for online shopping

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3115 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Tesco are seemingly intent on annoying absolutely everyone in the UK at the moment.

So what are they up to now? Well, they’ve just announced that, from 23rd July 2015, the minimum basket spend for those of you who shop online for groceries, will change from £25 to £40.

Of course, you can still spend below that amount, but if you do, you’ll find yourself paying the £4 surcharge.

http://www.bitterwallet.com/tesco-up-minimum-spend-for-online-shopping/86484

To be fair other companies are trialling the same. Asda within the M25 for example.

It is also not to be unexpected. It is also going to apply to Click and Collect services as well.

On average the cost to the store (Where the Shopping comes from a public serving store) is averaging £25 per Order

This is to cover the costs of warehousing, picking the order, back office staff, warehouse staff, loaders, call center, van purchase and hire, diesel, drivers etc etc

Whilst Online shopping is the fastest growing sector in retail, it also in most cases runs at a LOSS and is subsidised by in-store sales.

I fully expect the others to follow suit and delivery charges to start rising. The business model will change to make it profitable and unfortunately the others will follow suit. ONLY Ocado have managed to make profit our of their home delivery operation, and the last I heard that was only for 2 years!

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING

EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHERS

The SabreSheep, All information is offered on good faith and based on mine and others experiences. I am not a qualified legal professional and you should always seek legal advice if you are unsure of your position.

• 2 months later...

There is more to this than just increasing the minimum spend - it's really quite something else.

Before all this went up, they had an offer to pay up front for a year's delivery at half price, as long as your delivery day was Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday. So for £15, that seemed pretty good and would work for me.

So, they then put the minimum spend up, and that means I stopped doing a weekly shop because, being on my own, there was not a lot that I could keep ordering that I wanted for £40 every week.

BUT - Now I've just found out something even more sneaky. First, I got an order of just under £43 guide price. Used a clubcard voucher as part payment bringing it down to £31.

Went to pay and fortunately the system went wrong because when I looked, it was going to charge me £44.99!

I had a very irate convo because the operative couldn't see what I was talking about and eventually a manager told me that because I'd paid in part with a clubcard voucher, I was being charged as if I had not got the full £40 of goods in my basket!!

So, I go back, remove the voucher and then end up with around £41 of goods in my basket and go to pay again, only to discover (and NOWHERE on the screen on checkout did it say this) that I was still going to be charged £2.50 delivery!

Why? Well, the only thing I can think of is it's because Tesco may just manage to deliver my apples (weighed price) for less than the guide price and that may bring my basket down to less than the £40 I had ordered but that still doesn't make sense - but I was going to be charged for delivery!

So, it's a double whammy to be very aware of and which Tesco do NOT advise customers of before actually going to make the payment - at the Verified by Visa page is the first you see the altered amount in very tiny font.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now received information by email that the same advice given to me by three separate previous CS reps (one by email), including one supervisor was totally inaccurate and not true at all.

I am amazed and staggered that so many people could have got it wrong.

They still cannot explain why it seemed I was being potentially charged a totally different amount to anything that added up in the basket, with or without vouchers but it is not true that if using a voucher takes you to under the £40 final guide price amount you will be charged the £4 minimum spend.

Thank you for the clarification ismylife :)

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D