Compensation from HA for water damage and repairs after major water leak

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3187 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi there,

A while back in June i had a major water leak, basically 50 galls came through the ceiling at a great rate of knots causing significant damage to lounge and bedroom ceiling, subsequently I've had two new ceilings as the old was asbestos

(apparently) ..a new boiler and other ongoing internal works.. as we speak.

If It were not for that fact i was here at the time of the leak it would have been catastrophic not to mention the flat below, the firemen who attended were none to pleased and reported their findings to the HA as failure to reasonably repair previous damage and works to this property. .. yes the ceiling had been down two years previously..

I've been put out massively, moved my contents in and out of rooms/bedrooms, waiting in needlessly for workmen that don't turn up and been without ceiling x2, no hot water and cold water at various times.

My actual expenditure has been 1 meal out due to the flat being uninhabitable literally, and paid for a few boxes i got to store all the clutter that comes with a lifetime, the HA has an online form that i need to fill out, any idea's please, I've lost three days unpaid hols, i definitely think these should be reimbursed.

My question is how much compensation should i claim, if any?

Thanks

Whatnot..

North or South of the Thames?

All I can suggest is to go through their complaints procedure, and hopefully they will reimburse you some of your costs?

Has the HA followed up on the report made by LFB do you know?

Has anyone from L&Q been round to inspect the damage and discuss the repairs with you?

http://www.lqgroup.org.uk/services-for-residents/have-your-say/comments-and-complaints/complaints-procedure/

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

I signed for a new tenancy today with a housing authority

They told me the housing authority will not be responsible for any damage through water fire etc via a third party. There only responsibility is the structure of the property.

They even gave me a list of three insurance companies who will provide cover for such things

Me thinks you are flogging a dead horse myself but like most commercial organisations, they will have covered their butts

Correct, hence why you really do need your own contents insurance.

However the HA/LL will always be responsible for any damage/loss caused by their failure to rectify faults in

a timely manner which then go on to cause damage/loss to another resident or occupier.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

If the repairs after this incident are still outstanding then its pointless putting a claim in at present.

1. What repairs are still outstanding?

2. Have you been informed of the right to repair?

http://england.shelter.org.uk/get_advice/repairs_and_bad_conditions/repairs_in_social_housing/right_to_repair_scheme

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1994/133/made

3. Check their website on the timescales for repairs and what have they classed your repairs as? (have they done this within the timescales, if not have they kept you updated and asked your permission to extend the timsecale bet not)

4. Have you followed their complaints procedure? (if not make a Formal Complaint in writing, keep copies, get free proof of posting from the post office)

How to Upload Documents/Images on CAG - **INSTRUCTIONS CLICK HERE**

FORUM RULES - Please ensure to read these before posting **FORUM RULES CLICK HERE**

I cannot give any advice by PM - If you provide a link to your Thread then I will be happy to offer advice there.

I advise to the best of my ability, but I am not a qualified professional, benefits lawyer nor Welfare Rights Adviser.

Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Hi Stu,

The repairs are finished save for the redecorating of the walls that were damaged in the process of taking down two ceilings, and HA refused the offer by said contractor to repair the damage, doesn't mean that they wont redecorate, just that if they decline to do so, i think i should ask for recompense..

I took off three days of paid work in the last 2 months to accommodate all the appointments necessary to reinstate the ceilings, plus, electricians, plumbers and heating engineers, luckily i work part time, but that does not mean it's ok, i am thinking of claiming three days pay, plus a further nominal fee for three days of their missed appointments, say £25 each, so roughly £200 for my trouble, plus if they are not going to repaint the walls another £200..?

The link you posted mentioned stress, well it's been ok really, just alot of moving things from one room to another, x2 and reverse x2, hard work, but that not at issue..

Whatnot..

They 'should' give you funds to redecorate, it's worth asking them first, then if they decline, you can then purchase the paint

and forward the receipts to them for reimbursement.

However, they will only pay for the decorating to be put back to how it was when you first moved into the property.

So if it was magnolia when you moved in, then you paid to decorate it yourself a different colour, they won't cough up for that unfortunately.